anythingweather !

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
      I saw in a post about the site anythingweather.com and uploading data
      to it also. So I went to the site, typed in my town and state and low
      & behold I have data there. Actually a nice list of historical data
      all the way back to November 5th. Checked out another known location
      of someone in this group and their data was there also dating back to
      November 5th. All this and I didn't even sign up. That was easy !
      I am listed via my CWOP ID, so I would suspect they are pulling data
      from there. So maybe anyone uploading to CWOP is already uploading to
      Anything weather. Interesting!
      Steve
    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
        Hey Steve,

        Looks like they are pulling from CWOP. Mine is listed out there too.

        steve_03222 sat down at the console on 12/5/2007 2:34 PM and madly
        banged out:
        > I saw in a post about the site anythingweather.com and uploading data
        > to it also. So I went to the site, typed in my town and state and low
        > & behold I have data there. Actually a nice list of historical data
        > all the way back to November 5th. Checked out another known location
        > of someone in this group and their data was there also dating back to
        > November 5th. All this and I didn't even sign up. That was easy !
        > I am listed via my CWOP ID, so I would suspect they are pulling data
        > from there. So maybe anyone uploading to CWOP is already uploading to
        > Anything weather. Interesting!
        > Steve

      • jtorsitano
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
          They do obtain data from CWOP in addition to
          weatherforyou.com/HAMweather. Any of the data they get through
          weatherforyou.com/HAMweather is required to give credit to the
          contributing station.

          --
          Joe Torsitano
          weatherforyou.com

          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          > I saw in a post about the site anythingweather.com and uploading data
          > to it also. So I went to the site, typed in my town and state and low
          > & behold I have data there. Actually a nice list of historical data
          > all the way back to November 5th. Checked out another known location
          > of someone in this group and their data was there also dating back to
          > November 5th. All this and I didn't even sign up. That was easy !
          > I am listed via my CWOP ID, so I would suspect they are pulling data
          > from there. So maybe anyone uploading to CWOP is already uploading to
          > Anything weather. Interesting!
          > Steve

        • jtorsitano
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
            We had the option of pulling CWOP data as well. We didn't for a
            couple reasons...

            - As some have said, they don't want their data on weatherforyou.com
            (although they don't always say why). We only want to use data that
            people want us to use. I'd rather have people say "why aren't I on
            there" instead of "why are you using my data without my permission!".

            - It was very difficult to include a link back to the contributor's
            site or give them credit.

            --
            Joe Torsitano
            weatherforyou.com

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

            > Hey Steve,
            >
            > Looks like they are pulling from CWOP. Mine is listed out there too.
            >
            > steve_03222 sat down at the console on 12/5/2007 2:34 PM and madly
            > banged out:
            > > I saw in a post about the site anythingweather.com and uploading data
            > > to it also. So I went to the site, typed in my town and state and low
            > > & behold I have data there. Actually a nice list of historical data
            > > all the way back to November 5th. Checked out another known location
            > > of someone in this group and their data was there also dating back to
            > > November 5th. All this and I didn't even sign up. That was easy !
            > > I am listed via my CWOP ID, so I would suspect they are pulling data
            > > from there. So maybe anyone uploading to CWOP is already uploading to
            > > Anything weather. Interesting!
            > > Steve

          • John Liss
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
              Hey Joe,
              Well it is fine with me, I was just unaware that CWOP was sharing the
              data. Thats probably why you get the

              "why are you using my data without my permission!".

              -John

              jtorsitano sat down at the console on 12/5/2007 3:32 PM and madly banged
              out:
              > We had the option of pulling CWOP data as well. We didn't for a
              > couple reasons...
              >
              > - As some have said, they don't want their data on weatherforyou.com
              > (although they don't always say why). We only want to use data that
              > people want us to use. I'd rather have people say "why aren't I on
              > there" instead of "why are you using my data without my permission!".
              >
              > - It was very difficult to include a link back to the contributor's
              > site or give them credit.
              >

              > --
              > Joe Torsitano
              > weatherforyou.com

            • jtorsitano
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
                Hi John,

                Actually I don't get those because we don't use CWOP data (Anything
                Weather is not associated with us except we provide them data). And I
                don't think CWOP is intentionally "sharing" the data but it is
                available in places where it can be easily downloaded. But I've seen
                some pretty vicious threads against Anything Weather on other forums
                for use of CWOP data. :( As far as I know they've always been good
                about removing stations that request AW not use their data.

                --
                Joe Torsitano
                weatherforyou.com

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                > Hey Joe,
                > Well it is fine with me, I was just unaware that CWOP was sharing the
                > data. Thats probably why you get the
                >
                > "why are you using my data without my permission!".
                >
                > -John
                >
                > jtorsitano sat down at the console on 12/5/2007 3:32 PM and madly
                banged
                > out:
                > > We had the option of pulling CWOP data as well. We didn't for a
                > > couple reasons...
                > >
                > > - As some have said, they don't want their data on weatherforyou.com
                > > (although they don't always say why). We only want to use data that
                > > people want us to use. I'd rather have people say "why aren't I on
                > > there" instead of "why are you using my data without my permission!".
                > >
                > > - It was very difficult to include a link back to the contributor's
                > > site or give them credit.
                > >

                > > --
                > > Joe Torsitano
                > > weatherforyou.com

              • RS Moreland
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
                  "interesting"
                  Yes, very interesting isn't it. Used my CWOP site number as a
                  reference source so the data is not hidden. But..... don't we supply
                  data to CWOP for NOAA. Does that not restrict it to NOAA for their use?

                  Regards, Bob

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
                    I have no issue at all with their use of my CWOP data, was suprised to
                    find it on the anythingweather.com site. Kudos to them for presenting it
                    in such a nice manner.
                    Glad to hear that the WUHU software now supports anytingweather, that is
                    what I love about WUHU, that the author provides unparrelled support
                    and continiously upgrades the software based on user input. In addition
                    the author is always concerned about the computer resources that will be
                    involved.
                    Steve
                  • jtorsitano
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
                      <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                      > Glad to hear that the WUHU software now supports anytingweather

                      Indirectly through weatherforyou.com/HAMweather. ;) That's just
                      another benefit of being a part of our program.

                      --
                      Joe Torsitano
                      weatherforyou.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007

                        "MADIS currently supports hundreds of users, including the majority of NWS forecast offices, NCEP, NCDC, NASA, and many other federal, state, academic, and commercial organizations"

                        This was taken from this page: http://www-sdd.fsl.noaa.gov/MADIS_Overview/MADIS_Overview.html

                        When we submit our data it is public information. NOAA does receive our data, but they do not have exclusive rights to it. Our data goes to many different places.

                        There was an interesting article posted in this forum a while back, stated how our data would be used in the event of a chemical or worse type event.  Track the winds & temps to predict which way the chemicals will travel. They have a good handle on winds aloft,but need our data to predict low level wind patterns and such. Was very intyeresting.

                        Steve