RE: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WUHU and Weatherforyou

  • Charles M. Owen
    Message 1 of 67 , Dec 1, 2007

      As I stated before, I personally was just trying to get data to NOAA thru CWOP originally and WU was there when I started.

      I am concerned that there could be and overload point on the WUHU software and/or my data connection if I start sending to too many different places. You have adequately answered the question about duplicate info it seems. I still will ask CWOP at some point.

      My initial look at your site impression is that in many ways your site is as good as WU. I hit the “get a forecast” and saw nothing but NWS stations reporting for my area picks. Your PWS section is a bit buried to find, but once I found a station on that map I liked the “get a forecast” as much as WU. You do give good credit there. They have the edge it seems on promoting “hey we got these ‘other’ stations is my first impression. I have no problem with you making money (ads) on your site if that is what bothers some people (competitive?).

      PS WeatherBug “bugs” me that their profit model seems to horde data and that my city is overlooked. I congratulate them for making money but there is nothing for me.

      That, being said, I would like to see my data listed on your site also. I would support your inclusion based on merit so far. I don’t send to AWEAKS (yeah, I have been lazy) and as long as we can choose I happy. It all comes down to a viable WUHU with so many choices possible in the future.

      Charles

      CW4870

      PS. Full disclosure, I fear that I may not be a WUHU much longer since my anemometer has failed and I am preparing to go to a different weather station. But, I may have to make a choice if my new station is supported by WUHU and I would l ”Like” to have my data on WFU.

      Message 67 of 67 , Dec 5, 2007
        The map is web sites that have ASKED to be on the map. We are looking
        at adding another map with active stations in a region without giving
        out their station ID. But there are stations belonging to particular
        organizations that let us use the data with local forecasts but don't
        want it publicized where it came from. So we're trying to figure out
        how to filter them. I do agree the dead links do need to be removed.
        Usually someone goes through it at least every quarter and checks.
        It's due for another check. :)

        Interesting you should mention Intellicast. I also think they have a
        very good site and would like to make weatherforyou.com more like
        that. ;)

        --
        Joe Torsitano
        weatherforyou.com

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Charles M. Owen"
        <CMOwen@...> wrote:

        > Whoa. I am more use to WU than WFU, but that map is just "websites"
        of PWS
        > it looks like (Links on this map will take you to sites outside of
        > weatherforyou.com). It needs to be vetted for "dead" links however.
        Still,
        > I think that WU has a good "active" PWS maps and displays them as
        nearby to
        > your chosen locations in addition to the NWS sites. I still think
        WFU can be