Re: WUHU and Weatherforyou

  • jtorsitano
    Message 1 of 67 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "k5kee / Deborah Kee"
      <k5kee@...> wrote:

      > Let me ask this, because apparently I have missed something on the
      WFU site:

      > Please explain the advantages of WFU versus WU.

      I think it's good to have your data on WU AND WFY, actually. It all
      promotes the growth of the weather community. So I don't look at it
      as "versus" but if you're going to consider WU also consider WFY.

      - Data from personal weather stations is included with local forecasts
      as the primary current conditions along with clear credit to the
      contributor and a link to their web site (if applicable). One of the
      contributors to the weatherforyou.com program provided these
      statistics for their web site in October as to the referrals from
      various sources...

      direct 1,580 visits 68.67%
      google 173 visits 7.52%
      wunderground.com 126 visits 5.48%
      weatherforyou.com 107 visits 4.65%

      So, like I say, not as big as WU, but close. ;)

      - The data you submit can be used on the weatherforyou.com Snapshots
      which can be used on your web site or others. I even allow you to
      link the image back to your own site if it's used on another site. So
      it's a great way to promote your site. I also host
      non-weatherforyou.com branded images for personal weather stations.

      - If you use the HAMweather scripts you can display your data and the
      data of other stations with their permission. One example of this is
      a regional weather network set up by northbayweather.com, operated by
      the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat (a New York Times company). You also
      have free access to a METAR mirror which has data from METAR, RAWS and
      other non-traditional sources meaning you can display weather for more
      places.

      - Coming soon... your data can be used on HAMvid Basic (
      http://www.hamvid.com/news.php?n=6 ) so you can put Flash weather
      videos on your web site with your data.

      - We're part of the personal weather community and have been for
      almost nine years. I personally participate in and/or monitor the
      forums of the software that supports weatherforyou.com. I also am a
      regular on wxforum.net

      > Also, wouldn't it be possibly detrimental to submit the PWS data to
      NOAA via
      > WFU since submitting it to CWOP also sends it to NOAA? To put it another
      > way, wouldn't their getting info from the same station from two
      difference
      > sources be potentially damaging to the outcome of their analysis?

      This has been accomodated for by NOAA. For stations that send data
      through CWOP their weatherforyou.com data is listed as a "backup" to
      CWOP. For stations that don't send through CWOP the weatherforyou.com
      data is there.

      >Since all of us here are primarily
      > WU PWS's, your providing a comparison outline (of sorts) would help.

      Glad to. And, like I say, if there's something we can do to serve the
      community we want to know! Much of what we do has come from
      suggestions from personal weather station owners. We're in the
      community and are always looking for ideas.

      > Lastly, my agreeing with Steve on his post earlier was simply as I
      stated.
      > He posted the same things I had been wondering and thinking - I merely
      > seconded his post. I see no bickering here (yet), but a topic containing
      > healthy opinions and discussions.

      I'm glad you see it that way. Always glad to participate in healthy
      discussions. :)

      >This (my) specific post is an attempt to
      > learn, and give WFU any and all benefit of promoting their site.

      The benefit will, hopefully, all go back to personal weather stations.
      Honestly, if someone goes to weatherforyou.com, finds a personal
      weather station web site in their area and never needs a "big" site
      again (including weatherforyou.com) then our goal has been met. That
      might be contrary to traditional business sense, but we want to lead
      people to personal weather station web sites, not take personal
      weather station data and use it so people will always want to come
      back to our site. We're 100% debt free and don't have any venture
      capital telling us what to do.

      --
      Joe Torsitano
      weatherforyou.com
      Message 67 of 67 , Dec 5, 2007
        The map is web sites that have ASKED to be on the map. We are looking
        at adding another map with active stations in a region without giving
        out their station ID. But there are stations belonging to particular
        organizations that let us use the data with local forecasts but don't
        want it publicized where it came from. So we're trying to figure out
        how to filter them. I do agree the dead links do need to be removed.
        Usually someone goes through it at least every quarter and checks.
        It's due for another check. :)

        Interesting you should mention Intellicast. I also think they have a
        very good site and would like to make weatherforyou.com more like
        that. ;)

        --
        Joe Torsitano
        weatherforyou.com

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Charles M. Owen"
        <CMOwen@...> wrote:

        > Whoa. I am more use to WU than WFU, but that map is just "websites"
        of PWS
        > it looks like (Links on this map will take you to sites outside of
        > weatherforyou.com). It needs to be vetted for "dead" links however.
        Still,
        > I think that WU has a good "active" PWS maps and displays them as
        nearby to
        > your chosen locations in addition to the NWS sites. I still think
        WFU can be