Re: WUHU and Weatherforyou

  • jtorsitano
    Message 1 of 67 , Dec 1, 2007
      The weatherforyou.com/HAMweather Personal Weather Station Program
      currently has over 8,000 personal weather stations registered. The
      data from these stations is sent directly to our servers and is
      included with local forecasts on weatherforyou.com along with credit
      to the station providing the data and a link to their web site, if
      any. This program has been in existence since 2000 and is currently
      supported by at least six weather station software packages plus quite
      a few who have written their own interface to our system.

      The maps with links to weather stations are not related to the
      real-time data program. There are stations on the map that do not
      send data (mostly because their software doesn't support it, but I
      wanted to promote them, too) and stations that send data which are not
      on the map (by the request of the contributor).

      The weatherforyou.com support and promotion of personal weather
      stations goes back to 1998. A group of people approached the "big"
      weather sites about adding personal weather stations. The common
      reply was personal weather stations were "...not relevant to (their)
      content." So I started weatherforyou.com. A couple years later WU
      decided they were relevant after all.

      If all you thought you saw was links and ads you didn't look very
      deep. ;) First off, there are fewer ads than other sites, and no
      popups or pop-unders, deceitful advertising ("you're visitor 9,999,999
      and won"), no suggestive ads and all ads are appropriate for all ages.
      Beyond the ads there are many maps, radar, forecasts, current
      conditions, Flash weather videos and more. It is currently ranked #8
      in the news/weather category, provides the free weather "snapshots" to
      tens of thousands of sites worldwide and custom weather solutions to
      other sites.

      The site's primary focus is still to serve personal weather stations.
      If you can think of any way that we can serve you I'm always open to
      suggestions.

      --
      Joe Torsitano
      weatherforyou.com

      <steve_03222@...> wrote:

      > Maybe I am looking at the wrong site. I do not see much at this site.
      > Appears to be mostly airports, no direct upload of data, just links to
      > individual websites and lots of advertisements. Am I missing something?
      > I must be as I do not see this site as a "competitive" site to WU at
      > all.
      >
      > Steve

    • jtorsitano
      Message 67 of 67 , Dec 5, 2007
        The map is web sites that have ASKED to be on the map. We are looking
        at adding another map with active stations in a region without giving
        out their station ID. But there are stations belonging to particular
        organizations that let us use the data with local forecasts but don't
        want it publicized where it came from. So we're trying to figure out
        how to filter them. I do agree the dead links do need to be removed.
        Usually someone goes through it at least every quarter and checks.
        It's due for another check. :)

        Interesting you should mention Intellicast. I also think they have a
        very good site and would like to make weatherforyou.com more like
        that. ;)

        --
        Joe Torsitano
        weatherforyou.com

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Charles M. Owen"
        <CMOwen@...> wrote:

        > Whoa. I am more use to WU than WFU, but that map is just "websites"
        of PWS
        > it looks like (Links on this map will take you to sites outside of
        > weatherforyou.com). It needs to be vetted for "dead" links however.
        Still,
        > I think that WU has a good "active" PWS maps and displays them as
        nearby to
        > your chosen locations in addition to the NWS sites. I still think
        WFU can be