Re: Troubles at Weather Underground...

    Message 1 of 13 , May 29, 2005
      As far as the temperature goes, regardless of the model (Davis,
      LaCrosse), it is pretty difficult to find a spot that is not affected
      by the morning or evening Sun.

      As you mentioned, few are living in an open field to get accurate
      wind data as well.

      What is funny that the people who own Davis stations clamor about the
      Davis accuracy and the inaccuracy of other stations. Personally, I
      think their claims are unjustified.

      It is also funny to note that for the price of the WeatherLink
      hardware and software (required to communicate with the PC), you
      could buy a complete LaCrosse station with software.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"

      CW3844>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CW3844:@280705z4244.55N/09312.16W_315/000g000t
      > > > 0

      > the
      > available
      > although

      > > are
      > may
      > > > help

      > other
      > > > were
      > > > happening.

      Faker!"
      > feel
      > > > bad
      > > getting
      > Hopefully
      > happens
      > > > again.

      > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

      > aware
      > > of
      > > > as
      > > > the
      > > > through

      > bug
      > > > at

      > problem
      > > > on
      > that
      > > is

      > morning
      > > > and I
      > over
      > degrees
      > > > seemed

      > until
      > on

      > > > have

      > area
      > > > like

    • Not A Faker!
      Message 2 of 13 , May 31, 2005
        There is a Weatherbug station three blocks from me in town that uses
        a Davis model. Their temperature reading is always 4-7 degrees
        cooler than every other "official" reading in the area. I've also
        noticed the official NWS station in Clarion, which is 25 miles from
        my location, tends to read very hot between 3-7PM this time of
        year. Even the official data is subject to the same quirks our
        amateur equipment have.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 31, 2005
          I see the same things at the official stations. One thing you notice
          about the offical stations is that they are only uploading once per
          hour, so the graphs look smoother. They are probably also averaging
          each hour.

          BTW, I uploaded a new version of the software that will hopefully
          mask out the occasional bogus readings.

          If you decide to go back to wired mode, let me know if this helps. I
          can also add more checking if we see bogus readings.

          <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
> [...]
          > > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
          > > > The temp readings on my LaCrosse are right on target with
          > official
          > > > observations around the area. Humdity readings tend to be a
          > little
          > > > low, as they rarely hit the 90% threshold. The barometric data
          > is
          > > > very accurate, however. My present location is horrible for
          > wind
          > > > readings with three massive 45-foot trees blocking a
          > considerable
          > > > portion of the yard. Even without the cable interference
          > problem,
          > > > I'd still be getting questionable wind readings.
          > > >
          > > > When you consider a Davis machine is several hundred dollars
          > more,
          > > > LaCrosse is a better value even with the quirky design issues.
          > > > hope they resolve those problems in their next model.

        • Not A Faker!
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
            I installed the new version of WUHU today, and unfortunately it
            uploaded a 48 MPH wind gust (which was completely erroneous) to both
            CWOP and WeatherUnderground. I immediately switched back to
            wireless mode, where this doesn't happen very often.

            LaCrosse really should take a look this problem instead to telling
            people to rip out their crappy wires and put in new ones. What if
            GM sold a car with a faulty engine and told the
            customer, "Yeah...sorry about that. You'll have to put in a better
            engine than the one we installed." They'd be out of business by the
            end of this year!

            I hear LaCrosse's so-called technical support is an even bigger joke
            than their faux anemometer readings.