COM port issues NEED HELP PLEASE

  • Tammie
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 28, 2007
      I am going out of my mind trying to firgure out what happened to the
      COM port my WS2310 was working just fine on???

      As of the 23rd of this month my Heavy weather 2.0 version stopped
      monitoring the current data to my computer which in turn has not
      allowed the wuhu software to output data to the weather underground.
      It is however displaying on the WS2310 panel.

      In attempt to fix this problem, I have uninstalled both Heavy weather
      and the WUHU software programs, removed the driver for the USB to
      serial adapter I have to use.
      Re-installed everything and yet still nothing will work. Yes, I
      installed HW 2.0

      I have also tried changing the COM port it's attached then I update
      the driver to confirm the changes and still not reading the
      information!

      The only thing the Heavy weather program will read is the history.dat
      files. I can open the file see what been logged up to the 23rd of
      this month. Nothing else will display. I have made no changes in
      harware prior to this date nor have I added or removed any software.

      I have tried everything that I can think of to get my station to send
      the data it's displaying on the panel to my computer and I have hit
      ZERO again..
      Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening. If you'd like to
      e-mail me off list you can do so at Tammiewx@...
      My last resort would be to roll back my computer to the 22nd to see
      if that helps.

      The WUHU software keeps giving me these errors

      Sun Oct 28 10:07:31 2007 > Weather Underground URL:
      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
      ID=KMASPENC5
      Sun Oct 28 10:07:31 2007 > Opened serial port COM3 successfully.
      Sun Oct 28 10:07:44 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:07:57 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:08:09 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:08:22 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:08:35 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:08:48 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:09:01 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:09:01 2007 > Detected consecutive communications
      failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
      Sun Oct 28 10:09:11 2007 > Attempting to re-open port COM3.
      Sun Oct 28 10:09:11 2007 > Port COM3 re-opened successfully,
      attempting to resume communications.
      Sun Oct 28 10:09:19 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:09:31 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:09:44 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:09:57 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:10:10 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:10:23 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:10:35 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Sun Oct 28 10:10:35 2007 > Detected consecutive communications
      failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
      Sun Oct 28 10:10:45 2007 > Attempting to re-open port COM3.
      Sun Oct 28 10:10:46 2007 > Port COM3 re-opened successfully,
      attempting to resume communications.
      Sun Oct 28 10:10:53 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 28, 2007
        Tammy,

        The first thing I do is check the simple stuff.

        1) Did any event happen just prior to the failure? Did you have a
        lightning storm? Any software upgrades? Did you move the USB to
        serial adapter to a different USB port? Any event you can recall
        might help.

        2) Did any of the cables become loose? Check the connections. Did the
        cable get stressed/tugged in any way? Make sure that the cable that
        runs from the PC to the console is plugged in securely. Some users
        have reported problems with the modular connectors not making a good
        connection at the console. Push it in firmly and hold to see if that
        makes a diffence. Some users have had to tape the cable to force a
        good connection there.

        3) Is COM3 the correct port? Does the port show up in device manager
        as operational? To get to the device manager, go to the control
        panel, click the System icon, select the hardware tab, hit the device
        manager button,

        You said you changed ports, did you also change the software to use
        the new port as well as move the phyiscal connection?

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tammie" <TammieWx@...>

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 28, 2007
          No lightning, The only software upgrade I recall is an AOL upgrade a
          few weeks ago.
          I didn't move the USB port until after it stopped working I tried
          different ports then put it back to the one it was origonally in.

          Checked the connections they all appear to be tight and in place. No
          stress or tugging on wires. Pc to console plug is in firmly. I
          unplugged it and replugged it no change.

          The COM port the adapter is plugged into says COM 3, as far as i know
          is the correct port. It's showing as COM 3 in the device manager. I
          checked Heavy weather and WUHU and they are both on COM 3.

          Tammie

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 28, 2007
            Try this, run WUHU, goto log screen, check "Show Console Com.
            Errors", let it collect a bit of data, then post the log here.

            Is the wind sensor reporting in? If you see ---.- for the wind speed,
            it is not reporting.

            Also, is the outdoor temp and humdity displayed?

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 28, 2007
              I tried to get the WUHU software to start on com 3 and it won't do it
              it kept telling me that it couldn't run because something like
              heavyweather was running on that COM port. This I knew I tried a
              million times still would not connect to COM 3.
              I ended up changing the plug to COM port 4.
              I went to device manager changed the USB to serial adapter to COM 4
              updated the device software rebooted, change both COM settings to 4
              in both heavyweather and WUHU. This is the same thing I keep getting
              no matter what COM port it's on.

              I double checked all my connections and everything is hooking in and
              tight. The console is working just fine but the software is not
              showing anything at all it's all greyed out on Heavy weather and the
              WUHU software is all question marks in the boxes.

              I am thinking that my adapter is no good???????
              Tammie

              Sun Oct 28 19:47:07 2007 > WUHU monitoring started (WUHU215HW).
              Sun Oct 28 19:47:07 2007 > Weather Underground ID: KMASPENC5
              Sun Oct 28 19:47:07 2007 > Weather Underground URL:
              http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
              ID=KMASPENC5
              Sun Oct 28 19:47:14 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:47:29 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:47:31 2007 > WUHU monitoring stopped.
              Sun Oct 28 19:48:03 2007 > WUHU monitoring started (WUHU21523XXSP).
              Sun Oct 28 19:48:03 2007 > Weather Underground ID: KMASPENC5
              Sun Oct 28 19:48:03 2007 > Weather Underground URL:
              http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
              ID=KMASPENC5
              Sun Oct 28 19:48:04 2007 > Opened serial port COM4 successfully.
              Sun Oct 28 19:48:16 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:48:29 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:48:42 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:48:55 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:49:08 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:49:20 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:49:33 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:49:33 2007 > Detected consecutive communications
              failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
              Sun Oct 28 19:49:43 2007 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.
              Sun Oct 28 19:49:43 2007 > Port COM4 re-opened successfully,
              attempting to resume communications.
              Sun Oct 28 19:49:51 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:50:04 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:50:17 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:50:30 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:50:42 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:50:55 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:51:08 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:51:08 2007 > Detected consecutive communications
              failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
              Sun Oct 28 19:51:18 2007 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.
              Sun Oct 28 19:51:18 2007 > Port COM4 re-opened successfully,
              attempting to resume communications.
              Sun Oct 28 19:51:26 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:51:39 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:51:52 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:52:04 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:52:17 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:52:30 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
              Sun Oct 28 19:52:33 2007 > WUHU monitoring stopped.
              <end>

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                Tammie,

                I suspect that either your serial interface adapter or the console is
                damaged.

                Do you have another computer that you could attach the console to?

                You might try taking just the console (and console/pc cable) to a
                friends computer (you do not need the remote thermo, rain, or wind
                sensor. Install heavyweather on the target machine.

                Heavyweather will display data even if the remote sensors are not
                present. The missing data will be gray.

                wrote:

> [...]
                > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                > Sun Oct 28 19:52:04 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                > Sun Oct 28 19:52:17 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                > Sun Oct 28 19:52:30 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                > Sun Oct 28 19:52:33 2007 > WUHU monitoring stopped.
                > <end>

                > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Try this, run WUHU, goto log screen, check "Show Console Com.
                > > Errors", let it collect a bit of data, then post the log here.
                > >
                > > Is the wind sensor reporting in? If you see ---.- for the wind
                > speed,
                > > it is not reporting.
                > >
                > > Also, is the outdoor temp and humdity displayed?

              • xdd869
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                  Tammie

                  Oddly, my WS-2308 is doing the same thing and I think it started on
                  October 23. After futzing around with it for about an hour, I
                  discovered that the relative humidity reading is not displaying in
                  my Heavy Weather 2.0 control panel. Not having that reading puts
                  this entry in the currdat.lst file:

                  [pressure_relative]
                  hpa = "---"
                  inHg = "---"

                  Once WUHU reads that, it logs this entry:

                  Mon Oct 29 06:38:15 2007 > Relative air pressure reading of 0.00
                  InHg detected. Value out of range (8.85 to 32.45).
                  Mon Oct 29 06:38:15 2007 > One or more data items could not be
                  automatically corrected, Ignoring ALL data on this update.

                  I can open currdat.lst in notpad, manually enter a relative pressure
                  figure like:

                  inHg = "30.00"

                  and magically the WUHU shows everything is fine. But once Heavy
                  Weather writes its next entry with a blank pressure reading, WUHU
                  shows it's offline again.

                  So somehow the relative pressure reading seems to be the culprit in
                  my case and I don't know what to do to fix it. I'll let you know if
                  I find the answer.

                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                    Dan,

                    This was reported by a user a while back.

                    As it turned out, the user had never adjusted the relative pressure
                    out of the box.

                    When the absolute pressure reading is near the relative pressure
                    reading, the console freaks out. I believe the relative pressure
                    drops below the absolute pressure for some period of time.

                    Have you adjusted the relative pressure setting on the console?

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "xdd869" <xdd869@...>

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                      No, I haven't. How do I do that?

                      Thanks
                      Dan

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                        Dan,

                        First, find a nearby airport or weather station to acquire the
                        relative air pressure in your area (at roughly the same altitude as
                        your station). Weather Underground is a good source for this. You can
                        look through the personal weather stations in your area and average
                        their reports to get a good idea of the relative air pressure.

                        To adjust the relative pressure setting on the console, hit the Set
                        button until the relative pressure reading flashes. Use the + and -
                        to change the relative pressure setting in the console.

                        After you have set the relative pressure, hit the Set button
                        repeatedly until you return to normal console display.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                          I did that about an hour ago, nothing changed. I restarted the
                          software and everything. I'll play around some more and see what I
                          can come up with.

                          Thanks
                          Dan

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                            Another odd thing is that my absolute pressure is constant at 32.39
                            inHg. This seems pretty high and there is no way to adjust that at
                            all. Think this may have something to do with it?

                            I'm at about sea level in Portland, Oregon and the relative pressure
                            is about 30.20 today.

                            Thanks again
                            Dan

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 30, 2007
                              Thank you and Dan for your replies. I tried what you suggested and
                              the data still is greyed out on the software. I ordered a new adapter
                              to be certain that that what's wrong.
                              Should have it by the weekend so I can test it then and let you know
                              what's happening. I tend to think that the serial adapter is no good.
                              Thanks again,
                              Tammie

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 1, 2007
                                Just wanted to let you know that it was the adapter. I just set up
                                the new one and it's all working fine now!!!
                                Thank you all for your help trying to help me resolve my issue! I am
                                back online.. :)

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 1, 2007
                                  Glad you found out the cause of your problem.
                                  steve
                                • Don
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 1, 2007
                                    I'll throw this in regarding the Control Panel and "Hardware". I had
                                    a similar problem several years ago with an HP computer and called
                                    tech support. They had me remove all the USB connections in that
                                    control Panel, uninstall anything to delete them. Then reboot the
                                    computer and Windows XP (which I was using) rebuilt all the available
                                    connections and cleared up the problem I was having in getting the
                                    ports to work correctly. Apparently XP will do that, rebuild and
                                    automatically install those available connections.

> [...]
                                    > > Sun Oct 28 10:09:57 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                                    > > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                                    > > Sun Oct 28 10:10:10 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                                    > > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                                    > > Sun Oct 28 10:10:23 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                                    > > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                                    > > Sun Oct 28 10:10:35 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                                    > > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                                    > > Sun Oct 28 10:10:35 2007 > Detected consecutive communications
                                    > > failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
                                    > > Sun Oct 28 10:10:45 2007 > Attempting to re-open port COM3.
                                    > > Sun Oct 28 10:10:46 2007 > Port COM3 re-opened successfully,
                                    > > attempting to resume communications.
                                    > > Sun Oct 28 10:10:53 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                                    > > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.

                                  • brownstone89
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 20, 2007
                                      any idea what to do if heavy weather says com 1 and nothing registers
                                      when you hit start in wuhu?

                                      > Dan,
                                      >
                                      > First, find a nearby airport or weather station to acquire the
                                      > relative air pressure in your area (at roughly the same altitude as
                                      > your station). Weather Underground is a good source for this. You can
                                      > look through the personal weather stations in your area and average
                                      > their reports to get a good idea of the relative air pressure.
                                      >
                                      > To adjust the relative pressure setting on the console, hit the Set
                                      > button until the relative pressure reading flashes. Use the + and -
                                      > to change the relative pressure setting in the console.
                                      >
                                      > After you have set the relative pressure, hit the Set button
                                      > repeatedly until you return to normal console display.
                                      >

                                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "xdd869" <xdd869@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > No, I haven't. How do I do that?
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks
                                      > > Dan

                                      > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Dan,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > This was reported by a user a while back.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > As it turned out, the user had never adjusted the relative
                                      > > pressure
                                      > > > out of the box.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > When the absolute pressure reading is near the relative pressure
                                      > > > reading, the console freaks out. I believe the relative pressure
                                      > > > drops below the absolute pressure for some period of time.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Have you adjusted the relative pressure setting on the console?
                                      > > >

                                      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "xdd869" <xdd869@>

                                      > started
                                      > > on
                                      > > in
                                      > puts

                                      > 0.00

                                      > > > pressure

                                      > > WUHU

                                      > culprit
                                      > > in
                                      > know
                                      > > if

                                      > <TammieWx@>

                                      > > stopped
                                      > > not

                                      > USB

                                      > 23rd
                                      > > of
                                      > > in

                                      > > have
                                      > > > like

                                      > > successfully.
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > communications
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > > from
                                      > communications
                                      > > from

                                    • Jaye Ellen
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 20, 2007
                                        Heavy Weather and WUHU do NOT like each other.

                                        --
                                        Jaye Ellen