Re:Different transmition range for La-crosse 2300

  • Geoffrey Way
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25 8:44 AM
      Dimitris:

      Radio antennas used for reception are fine to experiment on. But for
      transmitting they need to have a good impedance match or the transmitter
      will eventually have problems, and might even become permanently
      damaged. One possibility is to run a wire from the Rx unit that reaches
      all the way to the vicinity of the sensor that transmits, but I can't
      guarantee this will work. I use a wired system to avoid all of this
      because I have a lot of other radio stuff going on at my home, since I'm
      an Amateur Radio Operator.

      Knowing the frequency of the signal used by the equipment, you could
      apply some basic radio/antenna principles for making non-invasive
      improvements:

      1. Can the transmitter or receiver unit be positioned more favorably to
      improve reception? This is the ideal solution, no other change is
      needed. Generally speaking, the closer the units are, the better the
      signal should be. If the frequency in question is 433MHz, changing the
      location of either the Tx or Rx unit by just a few cm may be enough to
      make a big difference. If the console offers a relative signal strength
      indication, experiment with this.

      2. Can other objects that obstruct good reception be relocated to allow
      the units to work better? For example, if there is a big metal filing
      cabinet in between the units, can it be moved elsewhere?

      3. There might be other sources of RF noise interfering, but unless you
      have a very good receiver and recognize what you are hearing, it might
      be hard to confirm. If you have a 400 MHz or so computer in the house,
      try turning it off and see if there's any difference.
      --

      "Style is a simple way of saying complicated things." --J. Cocteau

      \ /
      ---\--/----
      /
      ======