Saving history

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
      I'm curious how everyone saves their weather history (if they do). I
      finally got a system devoted solely to my station and so I want to
      jump into the deep end.

      Granted, WU does a pretty good job of doing it, but I've been wanting
      to maintain my records on my own system. This way I can hopefully
      "manipulate" the data in various ways as I see fit.

      I currently am saving a copy of basically all the extended data in a
      text file which saves throughout the day, then starts a new one the
      next day. Therefore, I'm going to be accumulating a number of text
      files with all my data, and not really a game plan for how to use it.
      I'm thinking Excel is not sufficient for this amount of data, so I was
      thinking an Access database. Thoughts?

      Once I figure out where to put it, I need to figure out how to get it
      there. Any thoughts and suggestions on this? Any ways for
      automatically getting the text file to import into the database? (I
      know, I'm demanding)

      Love to hear your thoughts!

      Thanks,

      Brian
      CW6873
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 14, 2007
        Brian,
        I save my own data using two methods.
        Currently I have Heavy weather beta 2 set up to save a reading every
        20 minutes, Every couple days I stop WUHU and start Heavyeather, I
        save it into an excel file once a week. I actually print out graphs
        similiar to WU weekly and Monthly and keep them in a notebook. You can
        set up the interval much more often than 20 minutes, I chose that so I
        would only have to remember to download the data every 2 days. HW 2
        will store 175 datapoints.
        I also save the data into Heavyweather pro. WUHU does a nice job of
        uploading into a file that HW pro reads. Each data point goes into
        that file and is easily accessed. I keep one file for a year. That
        data can also be edited and can print graphs from it. beware that the
        file is very large and towards the end of the year it becomes quit
        slow, just checked and year to date it has just shy of 2 million data
        points

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 14, 2007
          You can also automatically break up the history files in to monthly
          files by using the following format when naming your history file
          name (in the general settings).

          Example:

          C:\Program Files\WUHU\history_%m_%y.dat

          The %m and %y will be replaced with the current month and current
          year.

          The resulting files will be:

          history_10_2007.dat
          history_11_2007.dat
          history_12_2007.dat
          history_01_2006.dat

          etc.

          The result will be smaller history files that you can load in to HW
          Pro for viewing/printing.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2007
            I also have been saving some other info back about 14 years like first
            & last frost, first & last snow, when specific seasonal events happen
            like first daffodil opens, all leaves off a specific tree, the list
            goes on. In addition tracking snowfall by day. I was hoping to find
            some good trends and events that could help predict the upcoming
            season, mostly I have confirmed that Mother Nature will do what ever
            she pleases, when ever she wants. LOL
            Steve
          • larrymyers312000
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2007
              Personally, I have been using MySQL to store my data, works like a
              champ and I can store as much data as I want, of course I will need to
              stop storing it I am sure, as the hard drive will become full, but
              until then I will keep it going.

              I am currently storing entries every 8 secs using a cheat I figured
              out, where I have a template that generates a csv file by throwing the
              fields of interest seperated by commas. Then I use PHP to extract the
              data from the MySQL DB, which is a little bit tedious right now, as I
              need to still make the pages to do the work for me but I am getting
              there. I have just made my webpages AJAX enabled so the 8 second
              updates are showing up close to real time which is really neat.

              I am really liking this way of storing the data but since I work with
              MySQL everyday it is a viable alternative for me.

              I still need to figure out PHP a bit better, but am progressing fast.
              I also need to complete the new code changes and add some more fields
              but I am getting to it too.

              Later,
              Larry
              http://hometownnerd.mine.nu/weather
              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > I'm curious how everyone saves their weather history (if they do). I
              > finally got a system devoted solely to my station and so I want to
              > jump into the deep end.
              >
              > Granted, WU does a pretty good job of doing it, but I've been wanting
              > to maintain my records on my own system. This way I can hopefully
              > "manipulate" the data in various ways as I see fit.
              >
              > I currently am saving a copy of basically all the extended data in a
              > text file which saves throughout the day, then starts a new one the
              > next day. Therefore, I'm going to be accumulating a number of text
              > files with all my data, and not really a game plan for how to use it.
              > I'm thinking Excel is not sufficient for this amount of data, so I was
              > thinking an Access database. Thoughts?
              >
              > Once I figure out where to put it, I need to figure out how to get it
              > there. Any thoughts and suggestions on this? Any ways for
              > automatically getting the text file to import into the database? (I
              > know, I'm demanding)
              >
              > Love to hear your thoughts!
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Brian
              > CW6873

            • larrymyers312000
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 15, 2007
                I am doing all of this on a 466 MHz IBM thinkpad with 512 meg ram and
                16 Gb Hard drive, just so you have an idea of my dedicated system. My
                server is actually running IIS (Webserver) not this laptop, as the
                laptop is only running WUHU and MYSQL exclusively and the server
                "talks" to MYSQL on the laptop for weather data.

                Later,
                Larry

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "larrymyers312000"