Status Report!

  • Tek Roo
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5 10:42 PM
      Well if it weren't bad enough that my wind and rain measurements died
      for no apparent reason and I didn't get around to fixing them before I
      left for the current job assignment, but my computer or internet
      connection died soon after I left a few weeks ago taking out the
      Cheyenne, Fort Collins and Greeley weather radio streams along with it!

      Now I'm told I won't get to take time off for a while (I'm stuck in
      New Braunfels, Texas at the moment), so I'm down for the medium to
      long term until I can get home to find out what happened.

      Fun and excitement is to be had once I get back to Wyoming though (on
      the way to some other job assignment no doubt), as just before I left
      I took delivery on some lightning detection stuff to help fill in the
      lower right corner of Wyoming and surrounding area on Weather Underground.

      Stay tuned!

      Richard H. Brant
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6 6:32 AM
        Richard,
        sorry to hear of your issues.
        Perhaps you will return to find it was something simple.
        What did you get for the lightning detection equipment?

        Steve
      • Tek Roo
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7 7:52 PM
          I bought the PCI based Boltek detector, though I'm having a hard time
          recalling the model number. There was a link to it and another
          standalone Boltek detector with computer interface on Weather
          Underground somewhere, but right now I'm not finding it and I don't
          have any other info on me at the moment (probably on the laptop that
          died).

          I'll provide better details once I get a chance to get back home and
          maybe get everything back on line before heading out again.

          Richard H. Brant

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8 6:01 AM
            Richard,
            Iwas just checking to see what brand you bought. Boltex seems to be
            the most common.
            I would love to have one, but a bit pricey for me right now.
            Will be interested to see how it works for you when you get back up
            and running.
            Heck out there you can see the lightning coming from a hundred miles
            away ! LOL
            Steve
          • Tek Roo
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8 6:58 AM
              Closer to 150 miles actually! ;-)

              There was one night where I had continuous cloud-to-cloud lightning
              straight above me on down south into Colorado, then cloud-to-ground
              from there 150 miles east into Nebraska and Kansas. Quite freaky!

              This will allow me to get a better idea which way it's heading!
              Lightning detection has been a bit more active in my area, but the
              accuracy is still about 40 or more miles off due to the fact the
              closest cluster of detectors seems to be based around Denver.

              Also on the list of things to do is yet another weather radio gain
              antenna so I can spool the Southern Nebraska Panhandle weather radio
              for some friends of mine out that way -- three states from one location!

              Richard H. Brant

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8 7:09 AM
                Richard, sounds like you are out to take over the world !! LOL
                I am sure your setting some records of some kind.

                Good luck,
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8 7:13 AM
                  Richard,
                  I loved being able to see what was coming when I lived out there.
                  I got many a great pic of T-storms & lightning.
                  I took timelapse of some of the storms, that came out really nice.
                  I remember watching the storms and looking for that special, greenish
                  color glow in the clouds that would indicate hail was on it's way.
                  Many a friend was amazed when I would predict the hail, by looking at
                  the clouds.
                  Only saw one small tornado though !