Re: Troubles at Weather Underground...

    Message 1 of 13 , May 28, 2005
      Great, thanks for the feedback.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"

      Message 2 of 13 , May 28, 2005
        I happened to notice a bad packet in your CWOP data:

        CW3844>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CW3844:@280705z4244.55N/09312.16W_315/000g000t0
        50r000p000h01b00000.WUHU127HW

        The humidity and pressure readings are bad.

        Have you had noise issues in the past?

        There is a cable modification you can make that will replace the
        cheap phone cord cables that came with the unit. It is available
        under the links section. I have not done it myself yet, although I
        probably will as I see occasional corrupt data myself.

        I did read somewhere that you should make sure that the cables are
        tied down so that they do not move in the wind and that this may help
        prevent noise.

        <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
        > I joined a couple of nights ago...
        >
        > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?CW3844

        > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I did the same thing at first glance. I looked at the other
        > stations
        > > and noticed they had spikes too. Funny thing was that they were
        > > shifted in time, so it looked like something real was happening.
        > >
        > > Did you join CWOP yet?
        > >
        > > Hope so.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"
        > > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
        > > > I noticed that today at around 9AM (Central). Now I feel bad
        > for
        > > > cursing LaCrosse's name this morning. I was used to getting
        > goofy
        > > > wind readings that CAN be blamed on the WS-2310, but my
        > temperature
        > > > and barometer readings were always dependable. Hopefully
        > Weather
        > > > Underground will get this figured out so it never happens again.

        > same
        > the

        > WU.

        > our
        > > > end,
        > > > possibly

        > had
        > short
        > quickly,

        > looked
        > > > at

        > > never

        > > that?

      • Not A Faker!
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28, 2005
          All the cables are secure and I'm actually using the wireless
          transfer from the temp/hygro sensor to the base unit. The cabled
          connection was giving me way too many erroneous wind readings. I've
          seen the modification for replacing the cable and I'm not even going
          to attempt it. I don't have the time nor the patience for that kind
          of stuff.

          This is just merely a hobby for me. I don't believe the fate of the
          universe hinges on data from my weather station. An occasional bad
          data packet won't send my world crashing down around me. However,
          it is unfortunate LaCrosse cut so many corners in the design
          process, because they would have a good product otherwise.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 28, 2005
            I know what you mean, it has not made my to do list either.

            It is a shame they cut corners, although I believe they should have
            added a CRC check (data checking) to the transmissions, they could
            have rejected the bad packets altogether.

            I agree, it is not a bad unit for the price.

            <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
            > All the cables are secure and I'm actually using the wireless
            > transfer from the temp/hygro sensor to the base unit. The cabled
            > connection was giving me way too many erroneous wind readings.
            I've
            > seen the modification for replacing the cable and I'm not even
            going
            > to attempt it. I don't have the time nor the patience for that
            kind
            > of stuff.
            >
            > This is just merely a hobby for me. I don't believe the fate of
            the
            > universe hinges on data from my weather station. An occasional bad
            > data packet won't send my world crashing down around me. However,
            > it is unfortunate LaCrosse cut so many corners in the design
            > process, because they would have a good product otherwise.

            > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I happened to notice a bad packet in your CWOP data:

            CW3844>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CW3844:@280705z4244.55N/09312.16W_315/000g000t
            > 0
            > > 50r000p000h01b00000.WUHU127HW
            > >
            > > The humidity and pressure readings are bad.
            > >
            > > Have you had noise issues in the past?
            > >
            > > There is a cable modification you can make that will replace the
            > > cheap phone cord cables that came with the unit. It is available
            > > under the links section. I have not done it myself yet, although
            > > probably will as I see occasional corrupt data myself.
            > >
            > > I did read somewhere that you should make sure that the cables
            are
            > > tied down so that they do not move in the wind and that this may
            > help
            > > prevent noise.
            > >
            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"
            > > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
            > > > I joined a couple of nights ago...
            > > >
            > > > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?CW3844

            > > > stations
            > were
            > happening.

            > bad
            > > > for
            > > > goofy
            > > > temperature
            > > > Weather
            > again.

            > > weather

            > as
            > the
            > > > same
            > through
            > > > the

            > at
            > > > WU.

            > on
            > > > our

            > and I
            > > > had
            > > > short
            > > > quickly,
            > seemed

            > > > looked
            > > their

            > have

            > like

          • Not A Faker!
            Message 5 of 13 , May 28, 2005
              The temp readings on my LaCrosse are right on target with official
              observations around the area. Humdity readings tend to be a little
              low, as they rarely hit the 90% threshold. The barometric data is
              very accurate, however. My present location is horrible for wind
              readings with three massive 45-foot trees blocking a considerable
              portion of the yard. Even without the cable interference problem,
              I'd still be getting questionable wind readings.

              When you consider a Davis machine is several hundred dollars more,
              LaCrosse is a better value even with the quirky design issues. I
              hope they resolve those problems in their next model.

              wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

              Message 6 of 13 , May 29, 2005
                As far as the temperature goes, regardless of the model (Davis,
                LaCrosse), it is pretty difficult to find a spot that is not affected
                by the morning or evening Sun.

                As you mentioned, few are living in an open field to get accurate
                wind data as well.

                What is funny that the people who own Davis stations clamor about the
                Davis accuracy and the inaccuracy of other stations. Personally, I
                think their claims are unjustified.

                It is also funny to note that for the price of the WeatherLink
                hardware and software (required to communicate with the PC), you
                could buy a complete LaCrosse station with software.

                <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                > > > transfer from the temp/hygro sensor to the base unit. The
                > cabled
                > > > connection was giving me way too many erroneous wind readings.
                > > I've
                > > > seen the modification for replacing the cable and I'm not even
                > > going
                > > > to attempt it. I don't have the time nor the patience for that
                > > kind
                > > > of stuff.
                > > >
                > > > This is just merely a hobby for me. I don't believe the fate
                of
                > > the
                > > > universe hinges on data from my weather station. An occasional
                > bad
                > > > data packet won't send my world crashing down around me.
                > However,
                > > > it is unfortunate LaCrosse cut so many corners in the design
                > > > process, because they would have a good product otherwise.

              • Not A Faker!
                Message 7 of 13 , May 31, 2005
                  There is a Weatherbug station three blocks from me in town that uses
                  a Davis model. Their temperature reading is always 4-7 degrees
                  cooler than every other "official" reading in the area. I've also
                  noticed the official NWS station in Clarion, which is 25 miles from
                  my location, tends to read very hot between 3-7PM this time of
                  year. Even the official data is subject to the same quirks our
                  amateur equipment have.

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2005
                    I see the same things at the official stations. One thing you notice
                    about the offical stations is that they are only uploading once per
                    hour, so the graphs look smoother. They are probably also averaging
                    each hour.

                    BTW, I uploaded a new version of the software that will hopefully
                    mask out the occasional bogus readings.

                    If you decide to go back to wired mode, let me know if this helps. I
                    can also add more checking if we see bogus readings.

                    <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
                    > > > The temp readings on my LaCrosse are right on target with
                    > official
                    > > > observations around the area. Humdity readings tend to be a
                    > little
                    > > > low, as they rarely hit the 90% threshold. The barometric data
                    > is
                    > > > very accurate, however. My present location is horrible for
                    > wind
                    > > > readings with three massive 45-foot trees blocking a
                    > considerable
                    > > > portion of the yard. Even without the cable interference
                    > problem,
                    > > > I'd still be getting questionable wind readings.
                    > > >
                    > > > When you consider a Davis machine is several hundred dollars
                    > more,
                    > > > LaCrosse is a better value even with the quirky design issues.
                    > > > hope they resolve those problems in their next model.

                  • Not A Faker!
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                      I installed the new version of WUHU today, and unfortunately it
                      uploaded a 48 MPH wind gust (which was completely erroneous) to both
                      CWOP and WeatherUnderground. I immediately switched back to
                      wireless mode, where this doesn't happen very often.

                      LaCrosse really should take a look this problem instead to telling
                      people to rip out their crappy wires and put in new ones. What if
                      GM sold a car with a faulty engine and told the
                      customer, "Yeah...sorry about that. You'll have to put in a better
                      engine than the one we installed." They'd be out of business by the
                      end of this year!

                      I hear LaCrosse's so-called technical support is an even bigger joke
                      than their faux anemometer readings.