Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: La Crosse has released a USB-connected station?

  • Shawn Parker
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 4 10:55 AM
      Will this work with my American WS-3610? I would love to get a cup
      style anemometer and ditch this fan style one!

      petros0022 wrote:

      > Hello Jimmy
      >

      > http://www.ambientweather.com/latx20u.html
      > <http://www.ambientweather.com/latx20u.html>
      >
      > I hope to help you
      >
      > Best regards from Greece
      > Dimitris
      > http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967
      > <http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967>

    • Rich Brunnworth
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 4 11:16 AM
        There is a version available for the 36xx series. Look at one of my

        Rich

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4 12:06 PM
          Rich, Is it available for US purchase?

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4 12:20 PM
            Here's the link

            http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/tx218-20.php

            I would imagine that you could order one online. The price is in Euros
            which makes the US price about $50 or there abouts.

            Rich

            Shawn Parker wrote:

            > Rich, Is it available for US purchase?
            >
            > Rich Brunnworth wrote:
            > >
            > > There is a version available for the 36xx series. Look at one of my
            > >

            > .

          • radmil.pandev
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
              Dear all,

              I just bought WS-2350. I was astonish to find that the device is not
              having the RS232 interface whre to connect the included USB/ RS 232
              cable.

              WS 2350 has only the RJ11 connector (named PC com port).

              How I have to connect the device to my PC/ laptop?

              Any ideas?

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Integrated Innovations"
              <calipence@...> wrote:

              > Juha…
              >

              > Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup
              anemometer
              > without buying the whole station? How?
              >

              > Jimmy
              >

              > _____

              Jäntti
> [...]
              >

              > Hello Tony,
              >
              > Yes, that seems to be the case. What makes this an interesting one
              is
              > that Nouveauxobjets.com's site gives the impression the station is
              > shipped without a converter and the USB interface is built-in. The
              > 2350 has a new ring to it (I ALMOST fell into it), but since only
              the
              > turbine anemometer has been the biggest change, existing 23xx series
              > users have much easier and cheaper job on obtaining the cup version
              > instead of the whole station. :)
              >
              > I've been very satisfied with my WS-2305 and have recommended it as
              > station worth getting (well, It's now changed to either 2300 or 2308
              > :) ). I have also told all the good things WUHU does comparing to
              > HeavyWeather and given high recommendations on obtaining the
              software
              > once they get the station up and running.
              >
              > Thanks Tony for your input.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > Juha.
              > Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
              > Helsinki, Finland
              > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
              >
              > --- In wuhu_software_ <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>
              > group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <is0hha@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello Juha,
              > > if you observe the picture on LaCrosse site, you see that WS-2350
              is
              > > identical to WS-2300. The USB connection is provided from a USB-
              > > Serial converter. Only the anemometer is been changed, now is a
              cup
              > > version.
              > > I think that Lacrosse has made a restiling of WS-2300 because a
              lot
              > > of people don't appreciate other WS-23xx series. They buy a WS-
              2300
              > > Clone instead of other WS-23xx series.
              > > I expect one month for my LaCrosse WS-2300 because in italy was
              > > unrechable since 6 months ago.
              > >
              > > Bye,
              > > Tony.
              > >
              > > --- In wuhu_software_ <mailto:wuhu_software_group%
              40yahoogroups.com>
              > group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti
              > > <jjantti2@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi all!
              > > >
              > > > I stumbled across a La Crosse WS-2350 weather station while
              > > browsing
              > > > around the net.
              > > >
              > > > Essentially it's a 2300/2310 station with all the bits and
              pieces,
              > > but
              > > > with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).
              > > >
              > > > Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
              > > > station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
              > > > USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a
              new
              > > > number.
              > > >
              > > > I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and
              > > limitations
              > > > as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed).
              One
              > > > exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the
              > > turbine
              > > > to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said
              about
              > > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to
              the
              > > > software.
              > > >
              > > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
              > > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding
              up
              > > the
              > > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
              > > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
              > > >
              > > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station
              that
              > > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
              > > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-
              port
              > > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
              > > station?
              > > >
              > > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
              > > going to
              > > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with
              WUHU.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on the
                other). You did not find this cable in the box?

                My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since newer
                PCs do not have serial ports.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"

              • CMOwen@att.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008

                  My 2315 had a RJ11 to serial cable included. I would assume that the converted to USB should connect to that cable.

                  Charles

                  CW4870

                  -------------- Original message from "radmil.pandev" <radmil.pandev@...>: --------------

                  <calipence@. ..> wrote:

                  > Juha�
                  >

                  > Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup
                  anemometer
                  > without buying the whole station? How?
                  >

                  > Jimmy
                  >

                  > _____

                  J�ntti
> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
                  > > > WS-2305. It's no longer availab le in European retailers. Adding
                  up
                  > > the
                  > > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
                  > > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
                  > > >
                  > > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station
                  that
                  > > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
                  > > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-
                  port
                  > > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
                  > > station?
                  > > >
                  > > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
                  > > going to
                  > > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with

                • radmil.pandev
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                    No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only the
                    cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.

                    What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to adapt
                    it?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                      The images on the Internet show what appears to be a generic USB to
                      serial adapter. Is that what you have?

                      You might contact La Crosse to see if they were supposed to include
                      the DB-9 to modular cable. Rather than making the cable, it might be
                      easier to have one shipped to you.

                      If you want to make the needed cable (assuming you need this), and
                      that the 2350 is like the other WS-23XX series, you can make your own
                      cable (assuming you have a female DB-9, cable, telephone connectors)
                      by following this wiring scheme:

                      The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the WS-2310/15/17:

                      On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector) From left to
                      right looking down on the connector

                      Color: Blue Brown Green White

                      On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)

                      Signal: RTS TX- TX+ DTR
                      Pin...: 7 2 3 4

                      So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.

                      Note that there is NO connection to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!

                      <radmil.pandev@...> wrote:

                      > No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only
                      the
                      > cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.
                      >
                      > What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to
                      adapt
                      > it?

                      > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                      > > (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on the
                      > > other). You did not find this cable in the box?
                      > >
                      > > My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since
                      > newer
                      > > PCs do not have serial ports.
                      > >

                      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"
                      > > <radmil.pandev@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Dear all,
                      > > >
                      > > > I just bought WS-2350. I was astonish to find that the device
                      is
                      > > not
                      > > > having the RS232 interface whre to connect the included USB/ RS
                      > 232
                      > > > cable.
                      > > >
                      > > > WS 2350 has only the RJ11 connector (named PC com port).
                      > > >
                      > > > How I have to connect the device to my PC/ laptop?
                      > > >
                      > > > Any ideas?
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Integrated

                      > > > anemometer

                    • radmil.pandev
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Correct - it is the one shown on internet - like to be a generic USB
                        to RS 232.

                        I bought the device from UK - http://www.weather-station-
                        products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station--WS2350.html

                        I am trying to contact them but no one replies.

                        I will try to make based on your scheme.

                        Thnaks a lot - I will let you know whether I succeeded or not!

                        > The images on the Internet show what appears to be a generic USB to
                        > serial adapter. Is that what you have?
                        >
                        > You might contact La Crosse to see if they were supposed to include
                        > the DB-9 to modular cable. Rather than making the cable, it might
                        be
                        > easier to have one shipped to you.
                        >
                        > If you want to make the needed cable (assuming you need this), and
                        > that the 2350 is like the other WS-23XX series, you can make your
                        own
                        > cable (assuming you have a female DB-9, cable, telephone
                        connectors)
                        > by following this wiring scheme:
                        >
                        > The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the WS-2310/15/17:
                        >
                        > On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector) From left to
                        > right looking down on the connector
                        >
                        > Color: Blue Brown Green White
                        >
                        > On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)
                        >
                        > Signal: RTS TX- TX+ DTR
                        > Pin...: 7 2 3 4
                        >
                        > So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.
                        >
                        > Note that there is NO connection to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!
                        >

                        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"
                        > <radmil.pandev@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only
                        > the
                        > > cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.
                        > >
                        > > What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to
                        > adapt
                        > > it?

                        > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                        > > > (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on
                        the
                        > > > other). You did not find this cable in the box?
                        > > >
                        > > > My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since
                        > > newer
                        > > > PCs do not have serial ports.
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"

                        > is
                        > > > not
                        RS
                        > > 232

                        > > > Innovations"

                        > cup

                      • radmil.pandev
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                          Thanks a lot for the wiring scheme.

                          I succeeded to make it and now my PWS is online in wunderground.

                          http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
                          ID=I90580876

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                            radmil,
                            welcome aboard !!

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                              I am glad you figured it out.

                              Did you just happen to get a down pour of rain or is that a false
                              reading on your rain gauge?