Re: La Crosse has released a USB-connected station?

  • Juha Jäntti
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hi,

      Yes, one can buy such anemometers easily (at least in Europe).
      There are several retailers who have these in stock. I think Dimitris
      posted some links relating to this.

      As a rule of thumb, first check the retailers in your country. If they
      fail to have them, check the sites Dimitris listed. It is likely they
      will ship outside Europe too but checking the price list is highly
      recommended, as the price can go up easily.

      Furthermore, if you decide to go shopping, double-check that you buy
      an anemometer that is compatible with your 23xx. There are many of
      them available that look like right ones (they have cups), but are not
      necessarily for your station. Dimitris has probably got this part
      covered as well.

      I'm still using a turbine version, mostly because the anemometer is
      currently not in optimal place. Once we move to a better position,
      I'll consider a change.

      Best Regards,
      Juha.
      Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
      Helsinki, Finland
      CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Integrated Innovations"
      <calipence@...> wrote:

      > Juha…
      >

      > Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup
      anemometer
      > without buying the whole station? How?
      >

      > Jimmy
      >

      > _____

      USB-connected
> [...]
      > once they get the station up and running.
      >
      > Thanks Tony for your input.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Juha.
      > Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
      > Helsinki, Finland
      > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_ <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>
      > group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <is0hha@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Juha,
      > > if you observe the picture on LaCrosse site, you see that WS-2350 is
      > > identical to WS-2300. The USB connection is provided from a USB-
      > > Serial converter. Only the anemometer is been changed, now is a cup
      > > version.
      > > I think that Lacrosse has made a restiling of WS-2300 because a lot
      > > of people don't appreciate other WS-23xx series. They buy a WS-2300
      > > Clone instead of other WS-23xx series.
      > > I expect one month for my LaCrosse WS-2300 because in italy was
      > > unrechable since 6 months ago.
      > >
      > > Bye,
      > > Tony.
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_ <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>
      > group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti
      > > <jjantti2@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all!
      > > >
      > > > I stumbled across a La Crosse WS-2350 weather station while
      > > browsing
      > > > around the net.
      > > >
      > > > Essentially it's a 2300/2310 station with all the bits and pieces,
      > > but
      > > > with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).
      > > >
      > > > Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
      > > > station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
      > > > USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a new
      > > > number.
      > > >
      > > > I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and
      > > limitations
      > > > as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed). One
      > > > exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the
      > > turbine
      > > > to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said about
      > > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
      > > > software.
      > > >
      > > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
      > > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
      > > the
      > > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
      > > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
      > > >
      > > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
      > > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
      > > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
      > > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
      > > station?
      > > >
      > > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
      > > going to
      > > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with WUHU.

    • Shawn Parker
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
        Will this work with my American WS-3610? I would love to get a cup
        style anemometer and ditch this fan style one!

        petros0022 wrote:

        > Hello Jimmy
        >

        > http://www.ambientweather.com/latx20u.html
        > <http://www.ambientweather.com/latx20u.html>
        >
        > I hope to help you
        >
        > Best regards from Greece
        > Dimitris
        > http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967
        > <http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967>

      • Rich Brunnworth
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
          There is a version available for the 36xx series. Look at one of my

          Rich

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
            Rich, Is it available for US purchase?

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
              Here's the link

              http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/tx218-20.php

              I would imagine that you could order one online. The price is in Euros
              which makes the US price about $50 or there abouts.

              Rich

              Shawn Parker wrote:

              > Rich, Is it available for US purchase?
              >
              > Rich Brunnworth wrote:
              > >
              > > There is a version available for the 36xx series. Look at one of my
              > >

              > .

            • radmil.pandev
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                Dear all,

                I just bought WS-2350. I was astonish to find that the device is not
                having the RS232 interface whre to connect the included USB/ RS 232
                cable.

                WS 2350 has only the RJ11 connector (named PC com port).

                How I have to connect the device to my PC/ laptop?

                Any ideas?

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                  (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on the
                  other). You did not find this cable in the box?

                  My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since newer
                  PCs do not have serial ports.

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"

                • CMOwen@att.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008

                    My 2315 had a RJ11 to serial cable included. I would assume that the converted to USB should connect to that cable.

                    Charles

                    CW4870

                    -------------- Original message from "radmil.pandev" <radmil.pandev@...>: --------------

                    <calipence@. ..> wrote:

                    > Juha�
                    >

                    > Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup
                    anemometer
                    > without buying the whole station? How?
                    >

                    > Jimmy
                    >

                    > _____

                    J�ntti
> [...]
                    > > >
                    > > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
                    > > > WS-2305. It's no longer availab le in European retailers. Adding
                    up
                    > > the
                    > > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
                    > > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
                    > > >
                    > > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station
                    that
                    > > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
                    > > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-
                    port
                    > > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
                    > > station?
                    > > >
                    > > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
                    > > going to
                    > > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with

                  • radmil.pandev
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                      No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only the
                      cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.

                      What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to adapt
                      it?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                        The images on the Internet show what appears to be a generic USB to
                        serial adapter. Is that what you have?

                        You might contact La Crosse to see if they were supposed to include
                        the DB-9 to modular cable. Rather than making the cable, it might be
                        easier to have one shipped to you.

                        If you want to make the needed cable (assuming you need this), and
                        that the 2350 is like the other WS-23XX series, you can make your own
                        cable (assuming you have a female DB-9, cable, telephone connectors)
                        by following this wiring scheme:

                        The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the WS-2310/15/17:

                        On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector) From left to
                        right looking down on the connector

                        Color: Blue Brown Green White

                        On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)

                        Signal: RTS TX- TX+ DTR
                        Pin...: 7 2 3 4

                        So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.

                        Note that there is NO connection to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!

                        <radmil.pandev@...> wrote:

                        > No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only
                        the
                        > cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.
                        >
                        > What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to
                        adapt
                        > it?

                        > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                        > > (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on the
                        > > other). You did not find this cable in the box?
                        > >
                        > > My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since
                        > newer
                        > > PCs do not have serial ports.
                        > >

                        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"
                        > > <radmil.pandev@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Dear all,
                        > > >
                        > > > I just bought WS-2350. I was astonish to find that the device
                        is
                        > > not
                        > > > having the RS232 interface whre to connect the included USB/ RS
                        > 232
                        > > > cable.
                        > > >
                        > > > WS 2350 has only the RJ11 connector (named PC com port).
                        > > >
                        > > > How I have to connect the device to my PC/ laptop?
                        > > >
                        > > > Any ideas?
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Integrated

                        > > > anemometer

                      • radmil.pandev
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                          Correct - it is the one shown on internet - like to be a generic USB
                          to RS 232.

                          I bought the device from UK - http://www.weather-station-
                          products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station--WS2350.html

                          I am trying to contact them but no one replies.

                          I will try to make based on your scheme.

                          Thnaks a lot - I will let you know whether I succeeded or not!

                          > The images on the Internet show what appears to be a generic USB to
                          > serial adapter. Is that what you have?
                          >
                          > You might contact La Crosse to see if they were supposed to include
                          > the DB-9 to modular cable. Rather than making the cable, it might
                          be
                          > easier to have one shipped to you.
                          >
                          > If you want to make the needed cable (assuming you need this), and
                          > that the 2350 is like the other WS-23XX series, you can make your
                          own
                          > cable (assuming you have a female DB-9, cable, telephone
                          connectors)
                          > by following this wiring scheme:
                          >
                          > The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the WS-2310/15/17:
                          >
                          > On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector) From left to
                          > right looking down on the connector
                          >
                          > Color: Blue Brown Green White
                          >
                          > On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)
                          >
                          > Signal: RTS TX- TX+ DTR
                          > Pin...: 7 2 3 4
                          >
                          > So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.
                          >
                          > Note that there is NO connection to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!
                          >

                          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"
                          > <radmil.pandev@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only
                          > the
                          > > cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.
                          > >
                          > > What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to
                          > adapt
                          > > it?

                          > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                          > > > (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on
                          the
                          > > > other). You did not find this cable in the box?
                          > > >
                          > > > My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since
                          > > newer
                          > > > PCs do not have serial ports.
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"

                          > is
                          > > > not
                          RS
                          > > 232

                          > > > Innovations"

                          > cup

                        • radmil.pandev
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                            Thanks a lot for the wiring scheme.

                            I succeeded to make it and now my PWS is online in wunderground.

                            http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
                            ID=I90580876

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                              radmil,
                              welcome aboard !!

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                                I am glad you figured it out.

                                Did you just happen to get a down pour of rain or is that a false
                                reading on your rain gauge?