Re: La Crosse has released a USB-connected station?

  • Juha Jäntti
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hello Tony,

      Yes, that seems to be the case. What makes this an interesting one is
      that Nouveauxobjets.com's site gives the impression the station is
      shipped without a converter and the USB interface is built-in. The
      2350 has a new ring to it (I ALMOST fell into it), but since only the
      turbine anemometer has been the biggest change, existing 23xx series
      users have much easier and cheaper job on obtaining the cup version
      instead of the whole station. :)

      I've been very satisfied with my WS-2305 and have recommended it as a
      station worth getting (well, It's now changed to either 2300 or 2308
      :) ). I have also told all the good things WUHU does comparing to
      HeavyWeather and given high recommendations on obtaining the software
      once they get the station up and running.

      Thanks Tony for your input.

      Best Regards,
      Juha.
      Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
      Helsinki, Finland
      CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <is0hha@...> wrote:

      > Hello Juha,
      > if you observe the picture on LaCrosse site, you see that WS-2350 is
      > identical to WS-2300. The USB connection is provided from a USB-
      > Serial converter. Only the anemometer is been changed, now is a cup
      > version.
      > I think that Lacrosse has made a restiling of WS-2300 because a lot
      > of people don't appreciate other WS-23xx series. They buy a WS-2300
      > Clone instead of other WS-23xx series.
      > I expect one month for my LaCrosse WS-2300 because in italy was
      > unrechable since 6 months ago.
      >
      > Bye,
      > Tony.
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti
      > <jjantti2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all!
      > >
      > > I stumbled across a La Crosse WS-2350 weather station while
      > browsing
      > > around the net.
      > >
      > > Essentially it's a 2300/2310 station with all the bits and pieces,
      > but
      > > with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).
      > >
      > > Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
      > > station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
      > > USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a new
      > > number.
      > >
      > > I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and
      > limitations
      > > as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed). One
      > > exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the
      > turbine
      > > to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said about
      > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
      > > software.
      > >
      > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
      > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
      > the
      > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
      > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
      > >
      > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
      > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
      > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
      > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
      > station?
      > >
      > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
      > going to
      > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with WUHU.
      > >
      > > Here's the link:
      > > http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/2350.php
      > >
      > > Best Regards,
      > > Juha.
      > > Finland Weather Exchange
      > > Helsinki, Finland
      > > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

    • Integrated Innovations
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007

        Juha…

        Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup anemometer without buying the whole station? How?

        Jimmy

> [...]

        > > with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).
        > >
        > > Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
        > > station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
        > > USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a new
        > > number.
        > >
        > > I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and
        > limitations
        > > as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed). One
        > > exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the
        > turbine
        > > to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said about
        > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
        > > software.
        > >
        > > Yet for reasons unknown, La
        Crosse seems to have pulled off the
        > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
        w:st="on">La Crosse releasing a USB-type
        > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
        > >
        > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
        > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
        > > proprietary La Crosse
        protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
        > > attached device and most importantly: How does
        w:st="on">WUHU see this
        > station?
        > >
        > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
        > going to
        > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with
        w:st="on"> WUHU .

        > > Here's the link:
        > > http://www.nouveaux objets.com/ 2350.php
        > >
        > > Best Regards,
        > > Juha.
        > > Finland
        Weather Exchange
        > > Helsinki ,
        w:st="on">Finland

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
          Interesting that the wind cup version appears to be mounted on a
          horizontal rod, thus getting th epole out of the way, which was
          another problem with the old style.

          Steve
        • Juha Jäntti
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
            Hi,

            Yes, one can buy such anemometers easily (at least in Europe).
            There are several retailers who have these in stock. I think Dimitris
            posted some links relating to this.

            As a rule of thumb, first check the retailers in your country. If they
            fail to have them, check the sites Dimitris listed. It is likely they
            will ship outside Europe too but checking the price list is highly
            recommended, as the price can go up easily.

            Furthermore, if you decide to go shopping, double-check that you buy
            an anemometer that is compatible with your 23xx. There are many of
            them available that look like right ones (they have cups), but are not
            necessarily for your station. Dimitris has probably got this part
            covered as well.

            I'm still using a turbine version, mostly because the anemometer is
            currently not in optimal place. Once we move to a better position,
            I'll consider a change.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Integrated Innovations"
            <calipence@...> wrote:

            > Juha…
            >

            > Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup
            anemometer
            > without buying the whole station? How?
            >

            > Jimmy
            >

            > _____

            USB-connected
> [...]
            > > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
            > > > software.
            > > >
            > > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
            > > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
            > > the
            > > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
            > > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
            > > >
            > > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
            > > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
            > > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
            > > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
            > > station?
            > > >
            > > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
            > > going to
            > > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with WUHU.

          • Shawn Parker
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
              Will this work with my American WS-3610? I would love to get a cup
              style anemometer and ditch this fan style one!

              petros0022 wrote:

              > Hello Jimmy
              >

              > http://www.ambientweather.com/latx20u.html
              > <http://www.ambientweather.com/latx20u.html>
              >
              > I hope to help you
              >
              > Best regards from Greece
              > Dimitris
              > http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967
              > <http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967>

            • Rich Brunnworth
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                There is a version available for the 36xx series. Look at one of my

                Rich

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Rich, Is it available for US purchase?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                    Here's the link

                    http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/tx218-20.php

                    I would imagine that you could order one online. The price is in Euros
                    which makes the US price about $50 or there abouts.

                    Rich

                    Shawn Parker wrote:

                    > Rich, Is it available for US purchase?
                    >
                    > Rich Brunnworth wrote:
                    > >
                    > > There is a version available for the 36xx series. Look at one of my
                    > >

                    > .

                  • radmil.pandev
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Dear all,

                      I just bought WS-2350. I was astonish to find that the device is not
                      having the RS232 interface whre to connect the included USB/ RS 232
                      cable.

                      WS 2350 has only the RJ11 connector (named PC com port).

                      How I have to connect the device to my PC/ laptop?

                      Any ideas?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                        (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on the
                        other). You did not find this cable in the box?

                        My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since newer
                        PCs do not have serial ports.

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"

                      • CMOwen@att.net
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008

                          My 2315 had a RJ11 to serial cable included. I would assume that the converted to USB should connect to that cable.

                          Charles

                          CW4870

                          -------------- Original message from "radmil.pandev" <radmil.pandev@...>: --------------

                          <calipence@. ..> wrote:

                          > Juha�
                          >

                          > Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup
                          anemometer
                          > without buying the whole station? How?
                          >

                          > Jimmy
                          >

                          > _____

                          J�ntti
> [...]
                          > > >
                          > > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
                          > > > WS-2305. It's no longer availab le in European retailers. Adding
                          up
                          > > the
                          > > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
                          > > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
                          > > >
                          > > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station
                          that
                          > > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
                          > > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-
                          port
                          > > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
                          > > station?
                          > > >
                          > > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
                          > > going to
                          > > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with

                        • radmil.pandev
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                            No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only the
                            cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.

                            What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to adapt
                            it?

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                              The images on the Internet show what appears to be a generic USB to
                              serial adapter. Is that what you have?

                              You might contact La Crosse to see if they were supposed to include
                              the DB-9 to modular cable. Rather than making the cable, it might be
                              easier to have one shipped to you.

                              If you want to make the needed cable (assuming you need this), and
                              that the 2350 is like the other WS-23XX series, you can make your own
                              cable (assuming you have a female DB-9, cable, telephone connectors)
                              by following this wiring scheme:

                              The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the WS-2310/15/17:

                              On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector) From left to
                              right looking down on the connector

                              Color: Blue Brown Green White

                              On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)

                              Signal: RTS TX- TX+ DTR
                              Pin...: 7 2 3 4

                              So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.

                              Note that there is NO connection to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!

                              <radmil.pandev@...> wrote:

                              > No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only
                              the
                              > cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.
                              >
                              > What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to
                              adapt
                              > it?

                              > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                              > > (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on the
                              > > other). You did not find this cable in the box?
                              > >
                              > > My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since
                              > newer
                              > > PCs do not have serial ports.
                              > >

                              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"
                              > > <radmil.pandev@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Dear all,
                              > > >
                              > > > I just bought WS-2350. I was astonish to find that the device
                              is
                              > > not
                              > > > having the RS232 interface whre to connect the included USB/ RS
                              > 232
                              > > > cable.
                              > > >
                              > > > WS 2350 has only the RJ11 connector (named PC com port).
                              > > >
                              > > > How I have to connect the device to my PC/ laptop?
                              > > >
                              > > > Any ideas?
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Integrated

                              > > > anemometer

                            • radmil.pandev
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                                Correct - it is the one shown on internet - like to be a generic USB
                                to RS 232.

                                I bought the device from UK - http://www.weather-station-
                                products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station--WS2350.html

                                I am trying to contact them but no one replies.

                                I will try to make based on your scheme.

                                Thnaks a lot - I will let you know whether I succeeded or not!

                                > The images on the Internet show what appears to be a generic USB to
                                > serial adapter. Is that what you have?
                                >
                                > You might contact La Crosse to see if they were supposed to include
                                > the DB-9 to modular cable. Rather than making the cable, it might
                                be
                                > easier to have one shipped to you.
                                >
                                > If you want to make the needed cable (assuming you need this), and
                                > that the 2350 is like the other WS-23XX series, you can make your
                                own
                                > cable (assuming you have a female DB-9, cable, telephone
                                connectors)
                                > by following this wiring scheme:
                                >
                                > The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the WS-2310/15/17:
                                >
                                > On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector) From left to
                                > right looking down on the connector
                                >
                                > Color: Blue Brown Green White
                                >
                                > On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)
                                >
                                > Signal: RTS TX- TX+ DTR
                                > Pin...: 7 2 3 4
                                >
                                > So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.
                                >
                                > Note that there is NO connection to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!
                                >

                                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"
                                > <radmil.pandev@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only
                                > the
                                > > cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.
                                > >
                                > > What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to
                                > adapt
                                > > it?

                                > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                                > > > (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on
                                the
                                > > > other). You did not find this cable in the box?
                                > > >
                                > > > My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since
                                > > newer
                                > > > PCs do not have serial ports.
                                > > >

                                > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"

                                > is
                                > > > not
                                RS
                                > > 232

                                > > > Innovations"

                                > cup

                              • radmil.pandev
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                                  Thanks a lot for the wiring scheme.

                                  I succeeded to make it and now my PWS is online in wunderground.

                                  http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
                                  ID=I90580876

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                                    radmil,
                                    welcome aboard !!

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                                      I am glad you figured it out.

                                      Did you just happen to get a down pour of rain or is that a false
                                      reading on your rain gauge?