La Crosse has released a USB-connected station?

  • Juha Jäntti
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 29 10:49 PM
      Hi all!

      I stumbled across a La Crosse WS-2350 weather station while browsing
      around the net.

      Essentially it's a 2300/2310 station with all the bits and pieces, but
      with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).

      Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
      station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
      USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a new
      number.

      I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and limitations
      as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed). One
      exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the turbine
      to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said about
      HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
      software.

      Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
      WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up the
      post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
      weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).

      But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
      supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
      proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
      attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this station?

      I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're going to
      need another raffle to get this station up and running with WUHU.

      Here's the link:
      http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/2350.php

      Best Regards,
      Juha.
      Finland Weather Exchange
      Helsinki, Finland
      CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 30 12:50 AM
        Hello Juha,
        if you observe the picture on LaCrosse site, you see that WS-2350 is
        identical to WS-2300. The USB connection is provided from a USB-
        Serial converter. Only the anemometer is been changed, now is a cup
        version.
        I think that Lacrosse has made a restiling of WS-2300 because a lot
        of people don't appreciate other WS-23xx series. They buy a WS-2300
        Clone instead of other WS-23xx series.
        I expect one month for my LaCrosse WS-2300 because in italy was
        unrechable since 6 months ago.

        Bye,
        Tony.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti
        <jjantti2@...> wrote:

        > Hi all!
        >
        > I stumbled across a La Crosse WS-2350 weather station while
        browsing
        > around the net.
        >
        > Essentially it's a 2300/2310 station with all the bits and pieces,
        but
        > with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).
        >
        > Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
        > station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
        > USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a new
        > number.
        >
        > I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and
        limitations
        > as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed). One
        > exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the
        turbine
        > to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said about
        > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
        > software.
        >
        > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
        > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
        the
        > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
        > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
        >
        > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
        > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
        > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
        > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
        station?

        > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
        going to
        > need another raffle to get this station up and running with WUHU.
        >
        > Here's the link:
        > http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/2350.php
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Juha.
        > Finland Weather Exchange
        > Helsinki, Finland
        > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

      • Juha Jäntti
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
          Hello Tony,

          Yes, that seems to be the case. What makes this an interesting one is
          that Nouveauxobjets.com's site gives the impression the station is
          shipped without a converter and the USB interface is built-in. The
          2350 has a new ring to it (I ALMOST fell into it), but since only the
          turbine anemometer has been the biggest change, existing 23xx series
          users have much easier and cheaper job on obtaining the cup version
          instead of the whole station. :)

          I've been very satisfied with my WS-2305 and have recommended it as a
          station worth getting (well, It's now changed to either 2300 or 2308
          :) ). I have also told all the good things WUHU does comparing to
          HeavyWeather and given high recommendations on obtaining the software
          once they get the station up and running.

          Thanks Tony for your input.

          Best Regards,
          Juha.
          Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
          Helsinki, Finland
          CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <is0hha@...> wrote:

          > Hello Juha,
          > if you observe the picture on LaCrosse site, you see that WS-2350 is
          > identical to WS-2300. The USB connection is provided from a USB-
          > Serial converter. Only the anemometer is been changed, now is a cup
          > version.
          > I think that Lacrosse has made a restiling of WS-2300 because a lot
          > of people don't appreciate other WS-23xx series. They buy a WS-2300
          > Clone instead of other WS-23xx series.
          > I expect one month for my LaCrosse WS-2300 because in italy was
          > unrechable since 6 months ago.
          >
          > Bye,
          > Tony.
          >
          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti
          > <jjantti2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all!
          > >
          > > I stumbled across a La Crosse WS-2350 weather station while
          > browsing
          > > around the net.
          > >
          > > Essentially it's a 2300/2310 station with all the bits and pieces,
          > but
          > > with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).
          > >
          > > Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
          > > station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
          > > USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a new
          > > number.
          > >
          > > I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and
          > limitations
          > > as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed). One
          > > exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the
          > turbine
          > > to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said about
          > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
          > > software.
          > >
          > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
          > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
          > the
          > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
          > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
          > >
          > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
          > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
          > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
          > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
          > station?
          > >
          > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
          > going to
          > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with WUHU.
          > >
          > > Here's the link:
          > > http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/2350.php
          > >
          > > Best Regards,
          > > Juha.
          > > Finland Weather Exchange
          > > Helsinki, Finland
          > > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

        • Integrated Innovations
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007

            Juha…

            Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup anemometer without buying the whole station? How?

            Jimmy

> [...]

            > > with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).
            > >
            > > Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
            > > station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
            > > USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a new
            > > number.
            > >
            > > I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and
            > limitations
            > > as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed). One
            > > exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the
            > turbine
            > > to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said about
            > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
            > > software.
            > >
            > > Yet for reasons unknown, La
            Crosse seems to have pulled off the
            > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
            w:st="on">La Crosse releasing a USB-type
            > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
            > >
            > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
            > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
            > > proprietary La Crosse
            protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
            > > attached device and most importantly: How does
            w:st="on">WUHU see this
            > station?
            > >
            > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
            > going to
            > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with
            w:st="on"> WUHU .

            > > Here's the link:
            > > http://www.nouveaux objets.com/ 2350.php
            > >
            > > Best Regards,
            > > Juha.
            > > Finland
            Weather Exchange
            > > Helsinki ,
            w:st="on">Finland

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
              Interesting that the wind cup version appears to be mounted on a
              horizontal rod, thus getting th epole out of the way, which was
              another problem with the old style.

              Steve
            • Juha Jäntti
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                Hi,

                Yes, one can buy such anemometers easily (at least in Europe).
                There are several retailers who have these in stock. I think Dimitris
                posted some links relating to this.

                As a rule of thumb, first check the retailers in your country. If they
                fail to have them, check the sites Dimitris listed. It is likely they
                will ship outside Europe too but checking the price list is highly
                recommended, as the price can go up easily.

                Furthermore, if you decide to go shopping, double-check that you buy
                an anemometer that is compatible with your 23xx. There are many of
                them available that look like right ones (they have cups), but are not
                necessarily for your station. Dimitris has probably got this part
                covered as well.

                I'm still using a turbine version, mostly because the anemometer is
                currently not in optimal place. Once we move to a better position,
                I'll consider a change.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Integrated Innovations"
                <calipence@...> wrote:

                > Juha…
                >

                > Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup
                anemometer
                > without buying the whole station? How?
                >

                > Jimmy
                >

                > _____

                USB-connected
> [...]
                > > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
                > > > software.
                > > >
                > > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
                > > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
                > > the
                > > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
                > > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
                > > >
                > > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
                > > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
                > > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
                > > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
                > > station?
                > > >
                > > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
                > > going to
                > > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with WUHU.

              • Shawn Parker
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Will this work with my American WS-3610? I would love to get a cup
                  style anemometer and ditch this fan style one!

                  petros0022 wrote:

                  > Hello Jimmy
                  >

                  > http://www.ambientweather.com/latx20u.html
                  > <http://www.ambientweather.com/latx20u.html>
                  >
                  > I hope to help you
                  >
                  > Best regards from Greece
                  > Dimitris
                  > http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967
                  > <http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967>

                • Rich Brunnworth
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                    There is a version available for the 36xx series. Look at one of my

                    Rich

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Rich, Is it available for US purchase?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                        Here's the link

                        http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/tx218-20.php

                        I would imagine that you could order one online. The price is in Euros
                        which makes the US price about $50 or there abouts.

                        Rich

                        Shawn Parker wrote:

                        > Rich, Is it available for US purchase?
                        >
                        > Rich Brunnworth wrote:
                        > >
                        > > There is a version available for the 36xx series. Look at one of my
                        > >

                        > .

                      • radmil.pandev
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                          Dear all,

                          I just bought WS-2350. I was astonish to find that the device is not
                          having the RS232 interface whre to connect the included USB/ RS 232
                          cable.

                          WS 2350 has only the RJ11 connector (named PC com port).

                          How I have to connect the device to my PC/ laptop?

                          Any ideas?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                            Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                            (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on the
                            other). You did not find this cable in the box?

                            My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since newer
                            PCs do not have serial ports.

                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"

                          • CMOwen@att.net
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008

                              My 2315 had a RJ11 to serial cable included. I would assume that the converted to USB should connect to that cable.

                              Charles

                              CW4870

                              -------------- Original message from "radmil.pandev" <radmil.pandev@...>: --------------

                              <calipence@. ..> wrote:

                              > Juha�
                              >

                              > Are you saying here that existing 23xx users can obtain the cup
                              anemometer
                              > without buying the whole station? How?
                              >

                              > Jimmy
                              >

                              > _____

                              J�ntti
> [...]
                              > > >
                              > > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
                              > > > WS-2305. It's no longer availab le in European retailers. Adding
                              up
                              > > the
                              > > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
                              > > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
                              > > >
                              > > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station
                              that
                              > > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
                              > > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-
                              port
                              > > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
                              > > station?
                              > > >
                              > > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
                              > > going to
                              > > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with

                            • radmil.pandev
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                                No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only the
                                cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.

                                What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to adapt
                                it?

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                                  The images on the Internet show what appears to be a generic USB to
                                  serial adapter. Is that what you have?

                                  You might contact La Crosse to see if they were supposed to include
                                  the DB-9 to modular cable. Rather than making the cable, it might be
                                  easier to have one shipped to you.

                                  If you want to make the needed cable (assuming you need this), and
                                  that the 2350 is like the other WS-23XX series, you can make your own
                                  cable (assuming you have a female DB-9, cable, telephone connectors)
                                  by following this wiring scheme:

                                  The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the WS-2310/15/17:

                                  On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector) From left to
                                  right looking down on the connector

                                  Color: Blue Brown Green White

                                  On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)

                                  Signal: RTS TX- TX+ DTR
                                  Pin...: 7 2 3 4

                                  So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.

                                  Note that there is NO connection to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!

                                  <radmil.pandev@...> wrote:

                                  > No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only
                                  the
                                  > cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.
                                  >
                                  > What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to
                                  adapt
                                  > it?

                                  > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                                  > > (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on the
                                  > > other). You did not find this cable in the box?
                                  > >
                                  > > My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since
                                  > newer
                                  > > PCs do not have serial ports.
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"
                                  > > <radmil.pandev@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Dear all,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I just bought WS-2350. I was astonish to find that the device
                                  is
                                  > > not
                                  > > > having the RS232 interface whre to connect the included USB/ RS
                                  > 232
                                  > > > cable.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > WS 2350 has only the RJ11 connector (named PC com port).
                                  > > >
                                  > > > How I have to connect the device to my PC/ laptop?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Any ideas?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Integrated

                                  > > > anemometer

                                • radmil.pandev
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                                    Correct - it is the one shown on internet - like to be a generic USB
                                    to RS 232.

                                    I bought the device from UK - http://www.weather-station-
                                    products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station--WS2350.html

                                    I am trying to contact them but no one replies.

                                    I will try to make based on your scheme.

                                    Thnaks a lot - I will let you know whether I succeeded or not!

                                    > The images on the Internet show what appears to be a generic USB to
                                    > serial adapter. Is that what you have?
                                    >
                                    > You might contact La Crosse to see if they were supposed to include
                                    > the DB-9 to modular cable. Rather than making the cable, it might
                                    be
                                    > easier to have one shipped to you.
                                    >
                                    > If you want to make the needed cable (assuming you need this), and
                                    > that the 2350 is like the other WS-23XX series, you can make your
                                    own
                                    > cable (assuming you have a female DB-9, cable, telephone
                                    connectors)
                                    > by following this wiring scheme:
                                    >
                                    > The pin out for the RS-232 cable for the WS-2310/15/17:
                                    >
                                    > On RJ-11 Side (clip down, telephone style connector) From left to
                                    > right looking down on the connector
                                    >
                                    > Color: Blue Brown Green White
                                    >
                                    > On the 9 Pin D-Shell (PC Interface)
                                    >
                                    > Signal: RTS TX- TX+ DTR
                                    > Pin...: 7 2 3 4
                                    >
                                    > So Blue -> Pin 7, Brown -> Pin 2 etc.
                                    >
                                    > Note that there is NO connection to the RS-232 ground (pin 5)!!!
                                    >

                                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"
                                    > <radmil.pandev@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > No - I looked again - no such an adapter inside the package. Only
                                    > the
                                    > > cable USB cable with a small CD rom - USB driver.
                                    > >
                                    > > What should I do - is there a scheme to make it myself - or to
                                    > adapt
                                    > > it?

                                    > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                                    > > >

                                    > > > Just guessing, it appears you should have a console to PC cable
                                    > > > (telephone modular on one end, 9 pin serial port connector on
                                    the
                                    > > > other). You did not find this cable in the box?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > My guess is that they throw in the USB to serial adapter since
                                    > > newer
                                    > > > PCs do not have serial ports.
                                    > > >

                                    > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "radmil.pandev"

                                    > is
                                    > > > not
                                    RS
                                    > > 232

                                    > > > Innovations"

                                    > cup

                                  • radmil.pandev
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                                      Thanks a lot for the wiring scheme.

                                      I succeeded to make it and now my PWS is online in wunderground.

                                      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
                                      ID=I90580876

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                                        radmil,
                                        welcome aboard !!

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 4, 2008
                                          I am glad you figured it out.

                                          Did you just happen to get a down pour of rain or is that a false
                                          reading on your rain gauge?