minimum pc for wuhu?

  • don_wa5ngp
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007
      Can anyone guess what the minimum kinda pc that is required for wuhu?
      I've got a old tpad755 that I'd like to use since I don't use it for
      anything else and it doesn't use much power so I can dedicate it for
      this purpose. Its running win2k and it shows like 82M of memory
      despite the fact that it really has over 100M installed. Must be a
      bios problem.

      I think the main thing is the wuhu footprint size so that nt doesnt'
      go into a memory thrashing mode where the harddisk runs all the time.
      I assume that heavy weather needs to be running and the publisher
      does not need to run if I'm using wuhu.

      If no one knows I'll just download and try it and post the results.

      best regards
      Don
    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007
        WUHU has a pretty reasonable footprint - I am running it on a separate
        machine that runs about 900Mhz and 384 meg of ram and have experienced
        no problems. And HeavyWeather is installed handling my web page stuff
        etc. On that same machine I am running Apache to handle my website.
        I just added that extra ram because someone gave me a stick out of
        another machine, originally it only had 256. I'd give it a try with
        that other machine and I bet it will work.

        don

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "don_wa5ngp"
        <don_wa5ngp@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone guess what the minimum kinda pc that is required for wuhu?
        > I've got a old tpad755 that I'd like to use since I don't use it for
        > anything else and it doesn't use much power so I can dedicate it for
        > this purpose. Its running win2k and it shows like 82M of memory
        > despite the fact that it really has over 100M installed. Must be a
        > bios problem.
        >
        > I think the main thing is the wuhu footprint size so that nt doesnt'
        > go into a memory thrashing mode where the harddisk runs all the time.
        > I assume that heavy weather needs to be running and the publisher
        > does not need to run if I'm using wuhu.
        >
        > If no one knows I'll just download and try it and post the results.
        >
        > best regards
        > Don

      • John Liss
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007
          I run mine on a PIII933 with 128Mb of ram just fine. (with VWS as well)
          You can run it on a PII450, I have in the past.
          Your ram question, seems like it might be sharing memory with the
          video... Just a thought. Check out the manufacturers specs..

          -John

          don_wa5ngp sat down at the console on 8/8/2007 9:36 AM and madly banged
          out:

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007
            Don,

            It should work.

            I would run WUHU in direct serial mode (no Heavyweather).

            That should minimize memory and CPU useage.

            You might be able to run Publisher depending on how WUHU runs.

            Let me know if it works for you.

            <don_wa5ngp@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone guess what the minimum kinda pc that is required for
            wuhu?
            > I've got a old tpad755 that I'd like to use since I don't use it
            for
            > anything else and it doesn't use much power so I can dedicate it for
            > this purpose. Its running win2k and it shows like 82M of memory
            > despite the fact that it really has over 100M installed. Must be a
            > bios problem.
            >
            > I think the main thing is the wuhu footprint size so that nt doesnt'
            > go into a memory thrashing mode where the harddisk runs all the
            time.
            > I assume that heavy weather needs to be running and the publisher
            > does not need to run if I'm using wuhu.
            >
            > If no one knows I'll just download and try it and post the results.
            >
            > best regards
            > Don

          • don_wa5ngp
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
              you guys have encouraged me enough that its worth a try. I'll post
              the results or at least you will know if my data starts showing up on
              wuhu.

              I've got bigger pcs but I figured this would be a good use for this
              old laptop, on all the time, low power consumption, and finally its
              not good for anything else really.

              I didn't think that it was a shared memory graphics engine thing.
              I'll try cutting back on screen resolution and color depth to see if
              things speed up as a result.

              Probably the biggest load it has is its anti virus and firewall stuff.
              Its a shame its come to that, but that's the way it is.

              tks
              Don
            • < Dickie Bradford >
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
                Don

                I did have WUHU running a Compaq 200mhz desktop with 256 megs of ram running W2k and had no problems, I only upgraded cause I had some spare change ;-)  use it when you got it, or the wife will get it...LOL.... ;-)

                Dickie Bradford
                Never-Enuff Technologies
                Colver, Pennsylvania
                (A)bort, (R)etry, (S)mack the @#$&*~ thing!

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
                  Personally, I am using a 466 Mhz IBM thinkpad 600E for the same thing,
                  now I do have 512 Meg of RAM but I am also running XP on it and WUHU
                  works fine, even with MYSQL (with auto imports) and multiple
                  templates, now granted I am only seeing updates at about every 2 mins
                  but it seems to run fine. I used to run Weather Display and that
                  almost tapped the poor laptop too much, WUHU is much less demanding on
                  it. Now I need to decide if I should go wired so I can get the 8 secs
                  updates from my WS2308, but lightning is my biggest concern even
                  though it would be over wireless LAN I would rather not lose the laptop.

                  The only problem I have with the laptop is that when the power goes
                  out, the laptop does not reboot, the thing is so old the battery is
                  dead, so I have to turn it back on myself.

                  Hope that helps you
                  Larry