Troubles at Weather Underground...

    Message 1 of 13 , May 27, 2005
      If you see bad upload data at WU today, it is not your weather
      station causing the problem.

      I thought it was some weather phenomena I was not aware of as
      neigboring stations had these weird readings, but not a the same
      moment in time (looked like a weather front passing through the
      area).

      It now appears that it is actually a datbase/hardware bug at WU.

      ----

      Sent at: 10:09 AM EDT on May 27, 2005

      Hi, the phenomena is definitely a data processing problem on our end,
      and is not real. We are having some trouble with
      packet loss on our network due to a flakely router that is possibly
      the cause, we will investigate further.

      Thanks,
      Jeff Masters

      ******* Original message follows: *******
      Sent at: 11:13 AM GMT on May 27, 2005

      Jeff,

      I was looking over my weather station data this morning and I had
      noticed around 1 am, several dips in the temperature over a short
      period of time. The temperature seemed to drop 5 degrees quickly,
      then returned to a temperature 5 degrees higher. This seemed to
      happen 3 times over a short period of time.

      I thought it was just my weather station acting up until I looked at
      neighboring stations. You can see these 5 degree dips on their
      stations as well.

      I am sure this is a normal weather phenomena although I have never
      seen it before.

      Are there cold "bands" of air that move through an area like that?
      What causes it?

      Thanks.
    • Not A Faker!
      Message 2 of 13 , May 27, 2005
        I noticed that today at around 9AM (Central). Now I feel bad for
        cursing LaCrosse's name this morning. I was used to getting goofy
        wind readings that CAN be blamed on the WS-2310, but my temperature
        and barometer readings were always dependable. Hopefully Weather
        Underground will get this figured out so it never happens again.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 27, 2005
          I did the same thing at first glance. I looked at the other stations
          and noticed they had spikes too. Funny thing was that they were
          shifted in time, so it looked like something real was happening.

          Did you join CWOP yet?

          Hope so.

          Thanks

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"

        • Not A Faker!
          Message 4 of 13 , May 27, 2005
            I joined a couple of nights ago...

            http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?CW3844

            Message 5 of 13 , May 28, 2005
              Great, thanks for the feedback.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 28, 2005
                I happened to notice a bad packet in your CWOP data:

                CW3844>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CW3844:@280705z4244.55N/09312.16W_315/000g000t0
                50r000p000h01b00000.WUHU127HW

                The humidity and pressure readings are bad.

                Have you had noise issues in the past?

                There is a cable modification you can make that will replace the
                cheap phone cord cables that came with the unit. It is available
                under the links section. I have not done it myself yet, although I
                probably will as I see occasional corrupt data myself.

                I did read somewhere that you should make sure that the cables are
                tied down so that they do not move in the wind and that this may help
                prevent noise.

                <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
                > I joined a couple of nights ago...
                >
                > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?CW3844

                > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I did the same thing at first glance. I looked at the other
                > stations
                > > and noticed they had spikes too. Funny thing was that they were
                > > shifted in time, so it looked like something real was happening.
                > >
                > > Did you join CWOP yet?
                > >
                > > Hope so.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > >
                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"
                > > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
                > > > I noticed that today at around 9AM (Central). Now I feel bad
                > for
                > > > cursing LaCrosse's name this morning. I was used to getting
                > goofy
                > > > wind readings that CAN be blamed on the WS-2310, but my
                > temperature
                > > > and barometer readings were always dependable. Hopefully
                > Weather
                > > > Underground will get this figured out so it never happens again.

                > same
                > the

                > WU.

                > our
                > > > end,
                > > > possibly

                > had
                > short
                > quickly,

                > looked
                > > > at

                > > never

                > > that?

              • Not A Faker!
                Message 7 of 13 , May 28, 2005
                  All the cables are secure and I'm actually using the wireless
                  transfer from the temp/hygro sensor to the base unit. The cabled
                  connection was giving me way too many erroneous wind readings. I've
                  seen the modification for replacing the cable and I'm not even going
                  to attempt it. I don't have the time nor the patience for that kind
                  of stuff.

                  This is just merely a hobby for me. I don't believe the fate of the
                  universe hinges on data from my weather station. An occasional bad
                  data packet won't send my world crashing down around me. However,
                  it is unfortunate LaCrosse cut so many corners in the design
                  process, because they would have a good product otherwise.

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 28, 2005
                    I know what you mean, it has not made my to do list either.

                    It is a shame they cut corners, although I believe they should have
                    added a CRC check (data checking) to the transmissions, they could
                    have rejected the bad packets altogether.

                    I agree, it is not a bad unit for the price.

                    <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
                    > All the cables are secure and I'm actually using the wireless
                    > transfer from the temp/hygro sensor to the base unit. The cabled
                    > connection was giving me way too many erroneous wind readings.
                    I've
                    > seen the modification for replacing the cable and I'm not even
                    going
                    > to attempt it. I don't have the time nor the patience for that
                    kind
                    > of stuff.
                    >
                    > This is just merely a hobby for me. I don't believe the fate of
                    the
                    > universe hinges on data from my weather station. An occasional bad
                    > data packet won't send my world crashing down around me. However,
                    > it is unfortunate LaCrosse cut so many corners in the design
                    > process, because they would have a good product otherwise.

                    > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I happened to notice a bad packet in your CWOP data:

                    CW3844>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CW3844:@280705z4244.55N/09312.16W_315/000g000t
                    > 0
                    > > 50r000p000h01b00000.WUHU127HW
                    > >
                    > > The humidity and pressure readings are bad.
                    > >
                    > > Have you had noise issues in the past?
                    > >
                    > > There is a cable modification you can make that will replace the
                    > > cheap phone cord cables that came with the unit. It is available
                    > > under the links section. I have not done it myself yet, although
                    > > probably will as I see occasional corrupt data myself.
                    > >
                    > > I did read somewhere that you should make sure that the cables
                    are
                    > > tied down so that they do not move in the wind and that this may
                    > help
                    > > prevent noise.
                    > >
                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Not A Faker!"
                    > > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
                    > > > I joined a couple of nights ago...
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?CW3844

                    > > > stations
                    > were
                    > happening.

                    > bad
                    > > > for
                    > > > goofy
                    > > > temperature
                    > > > Weather
                    > again.

                    > > weather

                    > as
                    > the
                    > > > same
                    > through
                    > > > the

                    > at
                    > > > WU.

                    > on
                    > > > our

                    > and I
                    > > > had
                    > > > short
                    > > > quickly,
                    > seemed

                    > > > looked
                    > > their

                    > have

                    > like

                  • Not A Faker!
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 28, 2005
                      The temp readings on my LaCrosse are right on target with official
                      observations around the area. Humdity readings tend to be a little
                      low, as they rarely hit the 90% threshold. The barometric data is
                      very accurate, however. My present location is horrible for wind
                      readings with three massive 45-foot trees blocking a considerable
                      portion of the yard. Even without the cable interference problem,
                      I'd still be getting questionable wind readings.

                      When you consider a Davis machine is several hundred dollars more,
                      LaCrosse is a better value even with the quirky design issues. I
                      hope they resolve those problems in their next model.

                      wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 29, 2005
                        As far as the temperature goes, regardless of the model (Davis,
                        LaCrosse), it is pretty difficult to find a spot that is not affected
                        by the morning or evening Sun.

                        As you mentioned, few are living in an open field to get accurate
                        wind data as well.

                        What is funny that the people who own Davis stations clamor about the
                        Davis accuracy and the inaccuracy of other stations. Personally, I
                        think their claims are unjustified.

                        It is also funny to note that for the price of the WeatherLink
                        hardware and software (required to communicate with the PC), you
                        could buy a complete LaCrosse station with software.

                        <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                        > > > transfer from the temp/hygro sensor to the base unit. The
                        > cabled
                        > > > connection was giving me way too many erroneous wind readings.
                        > > I've
                        > > > seen the modification for replacing the cable and I'm not even
                        > > going
                        > > > to attempt it. I don't have the time nor the patience for that
                        > > kind
                        > > > of stuff.
                        > > >
                        > > > This is just merely a hobby for me. I don't believe the fate
                        of
                        > > the
                        > > > universe hinges on data from my weather station. An occasional
                        > bad
                        > > > data packet won't send my world crashing down around me.
                        > However,
                        > > > it is unfortunate LaCrosse cut so many corners in the design
                        > > > process, because they would have a good product otherwise.

                      • Not A Faker!
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 31, 2005
                          There is a Weatherbug station three blocks from me in town that uses
                          a Davis model. Their temperature reading is always 4-7 degrees
                          cooler than every other "official" reading in the area. I've also
                          noticed the official NWS station in Clarion, which is 25 miles from
                          my location, tends to read very hot between 3-7PM this time of
                          year. Even the official data is subject to the same quirks our
                          amateur equipment have.

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 31, 2005
                            I see the same things at the official stations. One thing you notice
                            about the offical stations is that they are only uploading once per
                            hour, so the graphs look smoother. They are probably also averaging
                            each hour.

                            BTW, I uploaded a new version of the software that will hopefully
                            mask out the occasional bogus readings.

                            If you decide to go back to wired mode, let me know if this helps. I
                            can also add more checking if we see bogus readings.

                            <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                            > > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
                            > > > The temp readings on my LaCrosse are right on target with
                            > official
                            > > > observations around the area. Humdity readings tend to be a
                            > little
                            > > > low, as they rarely hit the 90% threshold. The barometric data
                            > is
                            > > > very accurate, however. My present location is horrible for
                            > wind
                            > > > readings with three massive 45-foot trees blocking a
                            > considerable
                            > > > portion of the yard. Even without the cable interference
                            > problem,
                            > > > I'd still be getting questionable wind readings.
                            > > >
                            > > > When you consider a Davis machine is several hundred dollars
                            > more,
                            > > > LaCrosse is a better value even with the quirky design issues.
                            > > > hope they resolve those problems in their next model.

                          • Not A Faker!
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                              I installed the new version of WUHU today, and unfortunately it
                              uploaded a 48 MPH wind gust (which was completely erroneous) to both
                              CWOP and WeatherUnderground. I immediately switched back to
                              wireless mode, where this doesn't happen very often.

                              LaCrosse really should take a look this problem instead to telling
                              people to rip out their crappy wires and put in new ones. What if
                              GM sold a car with a faulty engine and told the
                              customer, "Yeah...sorry about that. You'll have to put in a better
                              engine than the one we installed." They'd be out of business by the
                              end of this year!

                              I hear LaCrosse's so-called technical support is an even bigger joke
                              than their faux anemometer readings.