Re: Anyone with JpGraph (php lib) experience?

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
      John,

      I was thinking doing something on the client side so that users could
      post pages on their ISPs server without having to host anything.

      Personally, I do not run a webserver but I do have webspace at
      comcast.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...>
      wrote:

      > How I do mine, the actions can spit out the data. This can be
      exported
      > to a db or csv or just plain txt. Choose your format. (I use SQL,
      but
      > mysql or any other db or format can be used.)
      >
      > Then have your webpages layed out to read the data real time.
      > I had mine setup for the longest time using the scripts from
      > http://www.carterlake.org/weatherphp.php the php custom tags.
      >
      > Now I do a query from the db when the user hits the page to fill
      the
      > variables.
      > I was trying to move to jpgraph but summer happened... got a boat
      *g* I
      > never finished it. On the to-do list.
      >
      > There are other charting software frameworks out there but JPgraph
      works
      > on both unix and windows and it is free.
      >
      > I didn't do the active x stuff because A) there have been too many
      > issues with security with it and people don't trust it anymore B)
      it was
      > a pain in the ass to figure out.
      >
      > I have moved all my code to server side (asp; .asp.net and php),
      the
      > server produces all the results and spits it back to the browser as
      html
      > or images. This eliminates the need to worry about version of
      browsers.
      > (And there are a few hundred)
      >
      > Are you thinking client side for this or server side? If it is
      server
      > side, I would just go with php or asp(.net) and jpgraph.
      >
      > -John
      >

      > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:20 AM and madly
      > banged out:
      > > John,
      > >
      > > Is there any way to construct some type of standard webpage that
      > > could import data output by WUHU?
      > >
      > > I am looking for some standard method for presenting WUHU data in
      > > chart form on the web.
      > >
      > > Do you have any experience with activeX controls on a webpage?
      > >
      > > For instance, if you had a Microsoft Chart Control (6.0) to a web
      > > page, how do you populate the control with data?
      > >
      > > I have never really messed with activex over the web and I am not
      > > sure if people are still using it given the lack of security?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > >> Yup wonderful software. Fast!
      > >>
      > >> wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 7:12 AM and
      madly
      > >> banged out:

      > > nice

      > > 4.3.1

      > > any

      > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

      > > WUHU Download page:
      > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
        Aw. I get what you are trying to do.
        Just have the ability to dump a page with data in it and produce images.

        Advsoft has some REEEALY cool charting libs for C++.
        http://www.advsofteng.com/

        Expensive though. You could try to see if you can get a 'ad' type deal
        with them or some promo. Either that or do the open source world.
        JPGraph is awesome. However it will require a php install with GD.

        Finding them free ones is hard. :/
        -John

        wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:47 AM and madly
        banged out:

      • John Liss
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
          Here is one to roll your own:

          http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/nschart.asp

          John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:38 AM and madly banged out:
          > Aw. I get what you are trying to do.
          > Just have the ability to dump a page with data in it and produce images.
          >
          > Advsoft has some REEEALY cool charting libs for C++.
          > http://www.advsofteng.com/
          >
          > Expensive though. You could try to see if you can get a 'ad' type deal
          > with them or some promo. Either that or do the open source world.
          > JPGraph is awesome. However it will require a php install with GD.
          >
          > Finding them free ones is hard. :/
          > -John
          >

          > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:47 AM and madly
          > banged out:
          >
          >> John,
          >>
          >> I was thinking doing something on the client side so that users could
          >> post pages on their ISPs server without having to host anything.
          >>
          >> Personally, I do not run a webserver but I do have webspace at
          >> comcast.
        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
            Or

            http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/zedgraph.asp
            http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114675

            This one looks better.

            John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:45 AM and madly banged out:

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
              Advsoft looks interesting although it is a bit pricey as you say.

              The zedgraph looks interesting if I were to port to C#.

              I was hoping on finding something to just render the data (like with
              chart) but reference some type of csv file that it pulls down from
              the net.

              Thanks for the tips.

              wrote:

              > Or
              >
              > http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/zedgraph.asp
              > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114675
              >
              > This one looks better.
              >
              > John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:45 AM and madly
              banged out:
              > > Here is one to roll your own:
              > >
              > > http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/nschart.asp
              > >
              > > John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:38 AM and madly
              banged out:

              > >> Aw. I get what you are trying to do.
              > >> Just have the ability to dump a page with data in it and produce
              images.

              > >> Advsoft has some REEEALY cool charting libs for C++.
              > >> http://www.advsofteng.com/
              > >>
              > >> Expensive though. You could try to see if you can get a 'ad'
              type deal
              > >> with them or some promo. Either that or do the open source
              world.
              > >> JPGraph is awesome. However it will require a php install with
              GD.

              > >> Finding them free ones is hard. :/
              > >> -John
              > >>

              > >> wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:47 AM and
              madly
              > >> banged out:

              > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

              > > WUHU Download page:
              > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John Liss
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                You could just make a console .net app that spits out the image
                *shrug*

                wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 10:19 AM and madly
                banged out:

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                  John,

                  What is the difference between a console .net app and a regular .net
                  app?

                  I am not in to .net yet, was thinking about getting in to C# .net.

                  Do you have a lot of .net experience?

                  Thanks.

                  wrote:

                  > You could just make a console .net app that spits out the image
                  > *shrug*
                  >

                  > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 10:19 AM and
                  madly
                  > banged out:
                  > > Advsoft looks interesting although it is a bit pricey as you say.
                  > >
                  > > The zedgraph looks interesting if I were to port to C#.
                  > >
                  > > I was hoping on finding something to just render the data (like
                  with
                  > > chart) but reference some type of csv file that it pulls down
                  from
                  > > the net.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the tips.
                  > >

                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Or
                  > >>
                  > >> http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/zedgraph.asp
                  > >> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114675
                  > >>
                  > >> This one looks better.
                  > >>
                  > >> John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:45 AM and madly
                  > >>
                  > > banged out:

                  > > banged out:

                  > > images.

                  > > type deal

                  > > world.

                  > > GD.

                  > > madly

                  > > could

                  > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                  > > WUHU Download page:
                  > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • John Liss
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                    Console is just like C++'s cmd line apps.
                    A Window Form App is like what you run with C++.

                    cmd line vs window basically Same concepts as C++
                    I have lots of asp.net 1.1 and 2.0 stuff. I haven't dove into .net 3.0
                    yet. I've written lots of stuff for various different utils we use
                    around the office. sending email, resetting date times on files, RDP
                    manager, password managers etc.

                    I find C++ more hardcore where you can interface directly with hardware
                    etc.. tons faster than .net, but I love .net for the ease of use factor.
                    (Where you have to rename 1200 objects in AD, or move with logic 1200
                    shares, accessing db's... etc etc.

                    -John

                    wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 10:51 AM and madly
                    banged out:

                  • John Liss
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                    • fikkaud
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                        I agree, Lovely software for creating graphs.
                        My site is based on jpgraph. Either direct plots or through
                        http://aguilmard.com 's graphweather software.

                        regards
                        Audun
                        http://vindkast.com

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                        > Yup wonderful software. Fast!
                        >
                        > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 7:12 AM and madly
                        > banged out:
                        > >
                        > > This package looks interesting and might be nice for making some nice
                        > > web page graphs.
                        > >
                        > > Does anyone have experience with it?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks.
                        > >
                        > > ---
                        > >
                        > > JpGraph is a Object-Oriented Graph creating library for PHP >= 4.3.1
                        > > The library is completely written in PHP and ready to be used in any
                        > > PHP scripts (both CGI/APXS/CLI versions of PHP are supported).
                        > >
                        > > http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/features_gallery.php#SplinePlots

                      • larrymyers312000
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 9, 2007
                          I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for showing me jpgraph.
                          As a new WUHU user and wanting to go to a full mysql setup I also
                          wanted a charting tool and jpgraph is just plain SWEET! I have had to
                          start to learn PHP but it is relatively close to asp so it isnt real bad.

                          I did have one question that maybe someone can help with, if I wanted
                          to put check boxes on the webpage so that the graphs options could be
                          changed dynamically, how could this be done? only through a frame or
                          is there some way of doing within the graphs webpage?

                          Thanks again everyone,
                          Larry