Re: Anyone with JpGraph (php lib) experience?

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2 7:20 AM
      John,

      Is there any way to construct some type of standard webpage that
      could import data output by WUHU?

      I am looking for some standard method for presenting WUHU data in
      chart form on the web.

      Do you have any experience with activeX controls on a webpage?

      For instance, if you had a Microsoft Chart Control (6.0) to a web
      page, how do you populate the control with data?

      I have never really messed with activex over the web and I am not
      sure if people are still using it given the lack of security?

      Thanks!

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...>
      wrote:

      > Yup wonderful software. Fast!
      >
      > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 7:12 AM and madly
      > banged out:
      > >
      > > This package looks interesting and might be nice for making some
      nice
      > > web page graphs.
      > >
      > > Does anyone have experience with it?
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > ---
      > >
      > > JpGraph is a Object-Oriented Graph creating library for PHP >=
      4.3.1
      > > The library is completely written in PHP and ready to be used in
      any
      > > PHP scripts (both CGI/APXS/CLI versions of PHP are supported).
      > >
      > > http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/features_gallery.php#SplinePlots

    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2 7:33 AM
        How I do mine, the actions can spit out the data. This can be exported to a db or csv or just plain txt. Choose your format. (I use SQL, but mysql or any other db or format can be used.)

        Then have your webpages layed out to read the data real time.
        I had mine setup for the longest time using the scripts from http://www.carterlake.org/weatherphp.php  the php custom tags.

        Now I do a query from the db when the user hits the page to fill the variables.
        I was trying to move to jpgraph but summer happened... got a boat *g* I never finished it.  On the to-do list.

        There are other charting software frameworks out there but JPgraph works on both unix and windows and it is free.

        I didn't do the active x stuff because A) there have been too many issues with security with it and people don't trust it anymore B) it was a pain in the ass to figure out.

        I have moved all my code to server side (asp; .asp.net and php), the server produces all the results and spits it back to the browser as html or images.  This eliminates the need to worry about version of browsers. (And there are a few hundred)

        Are you thinking client side for this or server side?  If it is server side, I would just go with php or asp(.net) and jpgraph.

        -John

        wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:20 AM and madly banged out:

        wrote:

        Yup wonderful software.  Fast!

        wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 7:12 AM and madly
        banged out:

        This package looks interesting and might be nice for making some

        nice

        web page graphs.

        Does anyone have experience with it?

        Thanks.

        ---

        JpGraph is a Object-Oriented Graph creating library for PHP >=

        4.3.1

        The library is completely written in PHP and ready to be used in

        any

        PHP scripts (both CGI/APXS/CLI versions of PHP are supported).

        http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/features_gallery.php#SplinePlots

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        WUHU Download page:
        http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2 7:47 AM
          John,

          I was thinking doing something on the client side so that users could
          post pages on their ISPs server without having to host anything.

          Personally, I do not run a webserver but I do have webspace at
          comcast.

          wrote:

          > How I do mine, the actions can spit out the data. This can be
          exported
          > to a db or csv or just plain txt. Choose your format. (I use SQL,
          but
          > mysql or any other db or format can be used.)
          >
          > Then have your webpages layed out to read the data real time.
          > I had mine setup for the longest time using the scripts from
          > http://www.carterlake.org/weatherphp.php the php custom tags.
          >
          > Now I do a query from the db when the user hits the page to fill
          the
          > variables.
          > I was trying to move to jpgraph but summer happened... got a boat
          *g* I
          > never finished it. On the to-do list.
          >
          > There are other charting software frameworks out there but JPgraph
          works
          > on both unix and windows and it is free.
          >
          > I didn't do the active x stuff because A) there have been too many
          > issues with security with it and people don't trust it anymore B)
          it was
          > a pain in the ass to figure out.
          >
          > I have moved all my code to server side (asp; .asp.net and php),
          the
          > server produces all the results and spits it back to the browser as
          html
          > or images. This eliminates the need to worry about version of
          browsers.
          > (And there are a few hundred)
          >
          > Are you thinking client side for this or server side? If it is
          server
          > side, I would just go with php or asp(.net) and jpgraph.
          >
          > -John
          >

          > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:20 AM and madly
          > banged out:
          > > John,
          > >
          > > Is there any way to construct some type of standard webpage that
          > > could import data output by WUHU?
          > >
          > > I am looking for some standard method for presenting WUHU data in
          > > chart form on the web.
          > >
          > > Do you have any experience with activeX controls on a webpage?
          > >
          > > For instance, if you had a Microsoft Chart Control (6.0) to a web
          > > page, how do you populate the control with data?
          > >
          > > I have never really messed with activex over the web and I am not
          > > sure if people are still using it given the lack of security?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@>
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > >> Yup wonderful software. Fast!
          > >>
          > >> wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 7:12 AM and
          madly
          > >> banged out:

          > > nice

          > > 4.3.1

          > > any

          > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

          > > WUHU Download page:
          > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2 8:38 AM
            Aw. I get what you are trying to do.
            Just have the ability to dump a page with data in it and produce images.

            Advsoft has some REEEALY cool charting libs for C++.
            http://www.advsofteng.com/

            Expensive though. You could try to see if you can get a 'ad' type deal
            with them or some promo. Either that or do the open source world.
            JPGraph is awesome. However it will require a php install with GD.

            Finding them free ones is hard. :/
            -John

            wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:47 AM and madly
            banged out:

          • John Liss
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2 8:45 AM
              Here is one to roll your own:

              http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/nschart.asp

              John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:38 AM and madly banged out:
              > Aw. I get what you are trying to do.
              > Just have the ability to dump a page with data in it and produce images.
              >
              > Advsoft has some REEEALY cool charting libs for C++.
              > http://www.advsofteng.com/
              >
              > Expensive though. You could try to see if you can get a 'ad' type deal
              > with them or some promo. Either that or do the open source world.
              > JPGraph is awesome. However it will require a php install with GD.
              >
              > Finding them free ones is hard. :/
              > -John
              >

              > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:47 AM and madly
              > banged out:
              >
              >> John,
              >>
              >> I was thinking doing something on the client side so that users could
              >> post pages on their ISPs server without having to host anything.
              >>
              >> Personally, I do not run a webserver but I do have webspace at
              >> comcast.
            • John Liss
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2 8:50 AM
                Or

                http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/zedgraph.asp
                http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114675

                This one looks better.

                John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:45 AM and madly banged out:

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2 9:19 AM
                  Advsoft looks interesting although it is a bit pricey as you say.

                  The zedgraph looks interesting if I were to port to C#.

                  I was hoping on finding something to just render the data (like with
                  chart) but reference some type of csv file that it pulls down from
                  the net.

                  Thanks for the tips.

                  wrote:

                  > Or
                  >
                  > http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/zedgraph.asp
                  > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114675
                  >
                  > This one looks better.
                  >
                  > John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:45 AM and madly
                  banged out:
                  > > Here is one to roll your own:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/nschart.asp
                  > >
                  > > John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:38 AM and madly
                  banged out:

                  > >> Aw. I get what you are trying to do.
                  > >> Just have the ability to dump a page with data in it and produce
                  images.

                  > >> Advsoft has some REEEALY cool charting libs for C++.
                  > >> http://www.advsofteng.com/
                  > >>
                  > >> Expensive though. You could try to see if you can get a 'ad'
                  type deal
                  > >> with them or some promo. Either that or do the open source
                  world.
                  > >> JPGraph is awesome. However it will require a php install with
                  GD.

                  > >> Finding them free ones is hard. :/
                  > >> -John
                  > >>

                  > >> wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 8:47 AM and
                  madly
                  > >> banged out:

                  > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                  > > WUHU Download page:
                  > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • John Liss
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2 9:41 AM
                    You could just make a console .net app that spits out the image
                    *shrug*

                    wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 10:19 AM and madly
                    banged out:

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2 9:51 AM
                      John,

                      What is the difference between a console .net app and a regular .net
                      app?

                      I am not in to .net yet, was thinking about getting in to C# .net.

                      Do you have a lot of .net experience?

                      wrote:

                      > You could just make a console .net app that spits out the image
                      > *shrug*
                      >

                      > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 10:19 AM and
                      madly
                      > banged out:
                      > > Advsoft looks interesting although it is a bit pricey as you say.
                      > >
                      > > The zedgraph looks interesting if I were to port to C#.
                      > >
                      > > I was hoping on finding something to just render the data (like
                      with
                      > > chart) but reference some type of csv file that it pulls down
                      from
                      > > the net.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the tips.
                      > >

                      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> Or
                      > >>
                      > >> http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/zedgraph.asp
                      > >> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114675
                      > >>
                      > >> This one looks better.
                      > >>
                      > >> John Liss sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 9:45 AM and madly
                      > >>
                      > > banged out:

                      > > banged out:

                      > > images.

                      > > type deal

                      > > world.

                      > > GD.

                      > > madly

                      > > could

                      > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                      > > WUHU Download page:
                      > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • John Liss
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2 10:00 AM
                        Console is just like C++'s cmd line apps.
                        A Window Form App is like what you run with C++.

                        cmd line vs window basically Same concepts as C++
                        I have lots of asp.net 1.1 and 2.0 stuff. I haven't dove into .net 3.0
                        yet. I've written lots of stuff for various different utils we use
                        around the office. sending email, resetting date times on files, RDP
                        manager, password managers etc.

                        I find C++ more hardcore where you can interface directly with hardware
                        etc.. tons faster than .net, but I love .net for the ease of use factor.
                        (Where you have to rename 1200 objects in AD, or move with logic 1200
                        shares, accessing db's... etc etc.

                        -John

                        wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 10:51 AM and madly
                        banged out:

                      • John Liss
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2 10:40 AM
                        • fikkaud
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2 11:49 AM
                            I agree, Lovely software for creating graphs.
                            My site is based on jpgraph. Either direct plots or through
                            http://aguilmard.com 's graphweather software.

                            regards
                            Audun
                            http://vindkast.com

                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                            > Yup wonderful software. Fast!
                            >
                            > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 8/2/2007 7:12 AM and madly
                            > banged out:
                            > >
                            > > This package looks interesting and might be nice for making some nice
                            > > web page graphs.
                            > >
                            > > Does anyone have experience with it?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks.
                            > >
                            > > ---
                            > >
                            > > JpGraph is a Object-Oriented Graph creating library for PHP >= 4.3.1
                            > > The library is completely written in PHP and ready to be used in any
                            > > PHP scripts (both CGI/APXS/CLI versions of PHP are supported).
                            > >
                            > > http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/features_gallery.php#SplinePlots

                          • larrymyers312000
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 9 11:02 AM
                              I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for showing me jpgraph.
                              As a new WUHU user and wanting to go to a full mysql setup I also
                              wanted a charting tool and jpgraph is just plain SWEET! I have had to
                              start to learn PHP but it is relatively close to asp so it isnt real bad.

                              I did have one question that maybe someone can help with, if I wanted
                              to put check boxes on the webpage so that the graphs options could be
                              changed dynamically, how could this be done? only through a frame or
                              is there some way of doing within the graphs webpage?

                              Thanks again everyone,
                              Larry