WU suggestion, using Google Earth.

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007

      I am a big fan of the Google Earth application and would like to suggest that WU consider the possibility of not only mapping station data (like the Google Maps already at WU), but also the possibility of making available all of the animated maps.

      If you already have Google Earth installed, you can see a little demo of cloud animations by checking out this link:

      Global Cloud Animation

      The play controls will appear near the top of the display. When you click play, it will start the animation.

      What might be interesting is to also create animations for radar, including perhaps storm / hurricane path probability animations.

      While Google Earth is not as ubiquitous as a browser, I suspect that the user base will only grow in the future.

      Thoughts?

      Thanks.

    • Wayne Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007

        > I am a big fan of the Google Earth application and would like to suggest
        > that WU consider the possibility of not only mapping station data (like
        > the Google Maps already at WU), but also the possibility of making
        > available all of the animated maps.
        >
        > If you already have Google Earth installed, you can see a little demo of
        > cloud animations by checking out this link:
        >
        > Global Cloud Animation
        > <http://www.barnabu.co.uk/files/kmz/global-clouds-animation.kml>
        >
        > The play controls will appear near the top of the display. When you
        > click play, it will start the animation.
        >
        > What might be interesting is to also create animations for radar,
        > including perhaps storm / hurricane path probability animations.
        >
        > While Google Earth is not as ubiquitous as a browser, I suspect that the
        > user base will only grow in the future.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks.

        I use Google Earth quite a bit for coordinate info as well as HAAT or
        elevation data.
        If I could get it into focus I believe I could read the model number
        on the antennas on my roof when I zoom down to that level :)

        Could be a handy addition..

        Wayne
      • mitchell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
          well google earth already has a blog that has all kinds of special
          stuff that you can put on it. like you can put on Global Lightning
          Animation for google earth, Weather and Storm Tracking Tools for
          Google Earth, doppler radars of the us, cloud animations, and you can
          also add the night side of the earth to it. the website is,
          http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/weather/
          and i love it. its has everything i want. you may have to look around
          for some stuff that i mentioned. they might not be on the home page.
          but they have it so keep looking. hope i helped ya.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Thomas"