Re: Win98 SE changeover success

  • Wayne Thomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
      -
      > Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
      > thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it would
      > be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been reading
      > sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well, not
      > yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.
      >
      > and so it goes, Bob

      I have quite a few extra boxes around that can run WIN 98SE quite
      easily and was considering doing the changeover.I am currently running
      XP Pro on a notebook and it works great. So you are saying your
      opinion of the 98 SE OS for this application is pretty bleak at the
      moment?

      Might have to stay with what I have running my WUHU upload. I am by no
      means ready for Vista yet..for my own use waay too many discrepancies
      in compatibility..

      Wayne
    • RS Moreland
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2007
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Thomas"
        <kg4muc@...> wrote:

        > -
        > > Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
        > > thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it
        would
        > > be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been
        reading
        > > sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well,
        not
        > > yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.
        > >
        > > and so it goes, Bob
        > >

        > I have quite a few extra boxes around that can run WIN 98SE quite
        > easily and was considering doing the changeover.I am currently
        running
        > XP Pro on a notebook and it works great. So you are saying your
        > opinion of the 98 SE OS for this application is pretty bleak at the
        > moment?
        >
        > Might have to stay with what I have running my WUHU upload. I am by
        no
        > means ready for Vista yet..for my own use waay too many
        discrepancies
        > in compatibility..
        >
        > Wayne

        Hi Wayne,
        Not at all. The win98se worked fine. Most of the time spent cleaning
        out programs and updating OS with lastest available updates.
        As WUHU stated you need a printer selected and run in direct serial
        only. WUHU installed with no problems. Same with webcam (used drivers
        only). No problems with WU or CWOP uploads. Missed two since starting
        and think they're routine.
        Only problem now is I can't find my KVW switch to more easily montior
        the weather machine (98 box).
        Regards and good luck, Bob
      • Wayne Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7, 2007
          Thanks Bob!
          I was seriously thinking about using 98 as a upload machine and free
          up my other laptop but just wasn't sure it would perform to spec.

          I still use a lot of DOS based programming software daily so I have to
          keep a working laptop with DOS at a much slower clock speed( for some
          older radios) and a newer laptop with XP for the later units and with
          that being said I have accumulated a spare box or two.

          I think I will definitely look into that option now..

          Wayne