Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Win98 SE changeover success

  • John Liss
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5 1:40 PM
      RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 2:08 PM and madly banged out:
      Don't care how many wave MS puts on there Windows symbol it won't/can't
      fly.
      When the question of a "stable os" comes up, I think maybe this was not
      one of best ideas I've come up with but we'll see what we will see.

      I'd have to say that any *nix is way better than Winderz anyday, but if you have to do Winderz, I would do XP over 98 any day. XP is more stable than 98 IMHO.

      -John
    • RS Moreland
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6 7:39 AM
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...>
        wrote:

        > RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 2:08 PM and madly
        banged
        > out:
        > > Don't care how many wave MS puts on there Windows symbol it
        won't/can't
        > > fly.
        > > When the question of a "stable os" comes up, I think maybe this
        was not
        > > one of best ideas I've come up with but we'll see what we will
        see.

        > I'd have to say that any *nix is way better than Winderz anyday,
        but if
        > you have to do Winderz, I would do XP over 98 any day. XP is more
        stable
        > than 98 IMHO.
        >

        > -John

        Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
        thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it would
        be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been reading
        sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well, not
        yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.

        and so it goes, Bob
      • Wayne Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6 2:44 PM
          -
          > Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
          > thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it would
          > be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been reading
          > sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well, not
          > yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.
          >
          > and so it goes, Bob

          I have quite a few extra boxes around that can run WIN 98SE quite
          easily and was considering doing the changeover.I am currently running
          XP Pro on a notebook and it works great. So you are saying your
          opinion of the 98 SE OS for this application is pretty bleak at the
          moment?

          Might have to stay with what I have running my WUHU upload. I am by no
          means ready for Vista yet..for my own use waay too many discrepancies
          in compatibility..

          Wayne
        • RS Moreland
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7 9:27 AM
            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Thomas"
            <kg4muc@...> wrote:

            > -
            > > Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
            > > thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it
            would
            > > be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been
            reading
            > > sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well,
            not
            > > yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.
            > >
            > > and so it goes, Bob
            > >

            > I have quite a few extra boxes around that can run WIN 98SE quite
            > easily and was considering doing the changeover.I am currently
            running
            > XP Pro on a notebook and it works great. So you are saying your
            > opinion of the 98 SE OS for this application is pretty bleak at the
            > moment?
            >
            > Might have to stay with what I have running my WUHU upload. I am by
            no
            > means ready for Vista yet..for my own use waay too many
            discrepancies
            > in compatibility..
            >
            > Wayne

            Hi Wayne,
            Not at all. The win98se worked fine. Most of the time spent cleaning
            out programs and updating OS with lastest available updates.
            As WUHU stated you need a printer selected and run in direct serial
            only. WUHU installed with no problems. Same with webcam (used drivers
            only). No problems with WU or CWOP uploads. Missed two since starting
            and think they're routine.
            Only problem now is I can't find my KVW switch to more easily montior
            the weather machine (98 box).
            Regards and good luck, Bob
          • Wayne Thomas
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7 9:40 AM
              Thanks Bob!
              I was seriously thinking about using 98 as a upload machine and free
              up my other laptop but just wasn't sure it would perform to spec.

              I still use a lot of DOS based programming software daily so I have to
              keep a working laptop with DOS at a much slower clock speed( for some
              older radios) and a newer laptop with XP for the later units and with
              that being said I have accumulated a spare box or two.

              I think I will definitely look into that option now..

              Wayne