Re: Win98 SE changeover success

  • RS Moreland
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5 1:08 PM
      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

      > RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 1:39 PM and madly
      banged
      > out:
      > > <snip> Win98 SE P4 1.6 ghz, 256mb ram.</snip>
      > >

      > Garrr dang, I bet 98 flies on that box!

      Don't care how many wave MS puts on there Windows symbol it won't/can't
      fly.
      When the question of a "stable os" comes up, I think maybe this was not
      one of best ideas I've come up with but we'll see what we will see.
    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5 1:40 PM
        RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 2:08 PM and madly banged out:
        Don't care how many wave MS puts on there Windows symbol it won't/can't
        fly.
        When the question of a "stable os" comes up, I think maybe this was not
        one of best ideas I've come up with but we'll see what we will see.

        I'd have to say that any *nix is way better than Winderz anyday, but if you have to do Winderz, I would do XP over 98 any day. XP is more stable than 98 IMHO.

        -John
      • RS Moreland
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6 7:39 AM
          wrote:

          > RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 2:08 PM and madly
          banged
          > out:
          > > Don't care how many wave MS puts on there Windows symbol it
          won't/can't
          > > fly.
          > > When the question of a "stable os" comes up, I think maybe this
          was not
          > > one of best ideas I've come up with but we'll see what we will
          see.

          > I'd have to say that any *nix is way better than Winderz anyday,
          but if
          > you have to do Winderz, I would do XP over 98 any day. XP is more
          stable
          > than 98 IMHO.
          >

          > -John

          Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
          thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it would
          be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been reading
          sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well, not
          yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.

          and so it goes, Bob
        • Wayne Thomas
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6 2:44 PM
            -
            > Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
            > thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it would
            > be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been reading
            > sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well, not
            > yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.
            >
            > and so it goes, Bob

            I have quite a few extra boxes around that can run WIN 98SE quite
            easily and was considering doing the changeover.I am currently running
            XP Pro on a notebook and it works great. So you are saying your
            opinion of the 98 SE OS for this application is pretty bleak at the
            moment?

            Might have to stay with what I have running my WUHU upload. I am by no
            means ready for Vista yet..for my own use waay too many discrepancies
            in compatibility..

            Wayne
          • RS Moreland
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7 9:27 AM
              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Thomas"
              <kg4muc@...> wrote:

              > -
              > > Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
              > > thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it
              would
              > > be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been
              reading
              > > sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well,
              not
              > > yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.
              > >
              > > and so it goes, Bob
              > >

              > I have quite a few extra boxes around that can run WIN 98SE quite
              > easily and was considering doing the changeover.I am currently
              running
              > XP Pro on a notebook and it works great. So you are saying your
              > opinion of the 98 SE OS for this application is pretty bleak at the
              > moment?
              >
              > Might have to stay with what I have running my WUHU upload. I am by
              no
              > means ready for Vista yet..for my own use waay too many
              discrepancies
              > in compatibility..
              >
              > Wayne

              Hi Wayne,
              Not at all. The win98se worked fine. Most of the time spent cleaning
              out programs and updating OS with lastest available updates.
              As WUHU stated you need a printer selected and run in direct serial
              only. WUHU installed with no problems. Same with webcam (used drivers
              only). No problems with WU or CWOP uploads. Missed two since starting
              and think they're routine.
              Only problem now is I can't find my KVW switch to more easily montior
              the weather machine (98 box).
              Regards and good luck, Bob
            • Wayne Thomas
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7 9:40 AM
                Thanks Bob!
                I was seriously thinking about using 98 as a upload machine and free
                up my other laptop but just wasn't sure it would perform to spec.

                I still use a lot of DOS based programming software daily so I have to
                keep a working laptop with DOS at a much slower clock speed( for some
                older radios) and a newer laptop with XP for the later units and with
                that being said I have accumulated a spare box or two.

                I think I will definitely look into that option now..

                Wayne