Win98 SE changeover success

  • RS Moreland
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
      HI all,
      A followup to my question of using an old machine with WIN 98 as a
      stand alone for weather data and uploads with LaCrosse 2310.
      Went live today after spending most of yesterday cleaning out, cleaning
      up and updating the old machine. Win98 SE P4 1.6 ghz, 256mb ram.
      No problems to report with the uploads (including webcam)WUHU running
      in serial mode works fine. Uploading to WU and CWOP 12/12 so far.
      Thanks for the help, Bob
    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
        RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 1:39 PM and madly banged
        out:
        > <snip> Win98 SE P4 1.6 ghz, 256mb ram.</snip>

        Garrr dang, I bet 98 flies on that box!
      • RS Moreland
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

          > RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 1:39 PM and madly
          banged
          > out:
          > > <snip> Win98 SE P4 1.6 ghz, 256mb ram.</snip>
          > >

          > Garrr dang, I bet 98 flies on that box!

          Don't care how many wave MS puts on there Windows symbol it won't/can't
          fly.
          When the question of a "stable os" comes up, I think maybe this was not
          one of best ideas I've come up with but we'll see what we will see.
        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
            RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 2:08 PM and madly banged out:
            Don't care how many wave MS puts on there Windows symbol it won't/can't
            fly.
            When the question of a "stable os" comes up, I think maybe this was not
            one of best ideas I've come up with but we'll see what we will see.

            I'd have to say that any *nix is way better than Winderz anyday, but if you have to do Winderz, I would do XP over 98 any day. XP is more stable than 98 IMHO.

            -John
          • RS Moreland
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
              wrote:

              > RS Moreland sat down at the console on 7/5/2007 2:08 PM and madly
              banged
              > out:
              > > Don't care how many wave MS puts on there Windows symbol it
              won't/can't
              > > fly.
              > > When the question of a "stable os" comes up, I think maybe this
              was not
              > > one of best ideas I've come up with but we'll see what we will
              see.

              > I'd have to say that any *nix is way better than Winderz anyday,
              but if
              > you have to do Winderz, I would do XP over 98 any day. XP is more
              stable
              > than 98 IMHO.
              >

              > -John

              Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
              thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it would
              be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been reading
              sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well, not
              yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.

              and so it goes, Bob
            • Wayne Thomas
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                -
                > Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
                > thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it would
                > be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been reading
                > sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well, not
                > yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.
                >
                > and so it goes, Bob

                I have quite a few extra boxes around that can run WIN 98SE quite
                easily and was considering doing the changeover.I am currently running
                XP Pro on a notebook and it works great. So you are saying your
                opinion of the 98 SE OS for this application is pretty bleak at the
                moment?

                Might have to stay with what I have running my WUHU upload. I am by no
                means ready for Vista yet..for my own use waay too many discrepancies
                in compatibility..

                Wayne
              • RS Moreland
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2007
                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Thomas"
                  <kg4muc@...> wrote:

                  > -
                  > > Agree with that but didn't want to spend the $ to upgrade to xp
                  > > thinking that with a few more $ could buy a new box but then it
                  would
                  > > be vista and duo core which sounds scary from what I've been
                  reading
                  > > sooo I'll wait because I'm not ready to try linux again, well,
                  not
                  > > yet anyway. I fooled with lindows for awhile when it was lindows.
                  > >
                  > > and so it goes, Bob
                  > >

                  > I have quite a few extra boxes around that can run WIN 98SE quite
                  > easily and was considering doing the changeover.I am currently
                  running
                  > XP Pro on a notebook and it works great. So you are saying your
                  > opinion of the 98 SE OS for this application is pretty bleak at the
                  > moment?
                  >
                  > Might have to stay with what I have running my WUHU upload. I am by
                  no
                  > means ready for Vista yet..for my own use waay too many
                  discrepancies
                  > in compatibility..
                  >
                  > Wayne

                  Hi Wayne,
                  Not at all. The win98se worked fine. Most of the time spent cleaning
                  out programs and updating OS with lastest available updates.
                  As WUHU stated you need a printer selected and run in direct serial
                  only. WUHU installed with no problems. Same with webcam (used drivers
                  only). No problems with WU or CWOP uploads. Missed two since starting
                  and think they're routine.
                  Only problem now is I can't find my KVW switch to more easily montior
                  the weather machine (98 box).
                  Regards and good luck, Bob
                • Wayne Thomas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2007
                    Thanks Bob!
                    I was seriously thinking about using 98 as a upload machine and free
                    up my other laptop but just wasn't sure it would perform to spec.

                    I still use a lot of DOS based programming software daily so I have to
                    keep a working laptop with DOS at a much slower clock speed( for some
                    older radios) and a newer laptop with XP for the later units and with
                    that being said I have accumulated a spare box or two.

                    I think I will definitely look into that option now..

                    Wayne