Bizzarre problem

  • Robert Laird
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      WUHUs been running successfully for quite a while. The laptop that
      runs it is in a remote location, and I can only get to it every couple
      of weeks. A week or so ago, I noticed my WUnderground page stopped
      updating, so I tried to remotely connect to the laptop, but that
      failed, so it would have to wait until I got there.

      When I got there, at first glance everything seemed to be working: the
      laptop was on, the HeavyWeather display was showing on the screen and
      appeared to be updating. But then I noticed my USB wireless adapter
      wasn't flashing, so I rebooted the laptop and brought everything up.

      Ok, so here's where it gets odd:

      I got the wireless to work, no problems there. HeavyWeather loaded
      and is reading the console from the COM1 port and writing the
      currdat.lst file just fine. I checked the format of the currdat.lst
      file and it looks fine. If I delete the file, it gets created anew
      each minute, so that's fine. The display that HeavyWeather puts up
      looks good, too.

      But, despite all of that, when I run WUHU now, the log file shows,
      every minute, "Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible
      invalid/corrupt data detected."

      Then, when I shut down HeavyWeather and change the option in WUHU to
      pull directly from the COM1 port, I get the SAME error message, which
      doesn't make sense. (It sees and opens the COM1 port just fine.)

      So, I'm stuck. I've rebooted the LaCrosse console but that had no
      effect on the problem, but it comes back up and works just fine, and
      HeavyWeather can read it via the COM1 port and writes the currdat.lst
      file.

      I'd understand it if HeavyWeather couldn't read the console and write
      the currdat.lst file, but it's doing that just fine.

      Any suggestions about what to try now?

      -- Robert
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
        Robert,

        Two thing, first, post the contents of the currdat.lst here.

        Second, if you try WUHU in direct serial mode, in the log screen,
        select 'Show Console Com. Errors'. Collect the errors then post here
        as well.

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Laird"
        <laird@...> wrote:

        > WUHUs been running successfully for quite a while. The laptop that
        > runs it is in a remote location, and I can only get to it every
        couple
        > of weeks. A week or so ago, I noticed my WUnderground page stopped
        > updating, so I tried to remotely connect to the laptop, but that
        > failed, so it would have to wait until I got there.
        >
        > When I got there, at first glance everything seemed to be working:
        the
        > laptop was on, the HeavyWeather display was showing on the screen
        and
        > appeared to be updating. But then I noticed my USB wireless adapter
        > wasn't flashing, so I rebooted the laptop and brought everything up.
        >
        > Ok, so here's where it gets odd:
        >
        > I got the wireless to work, no problems there. HeavyWeather loaded
        > and is reading the console from the COM1 port and writing the
        > currdat.lst file just fine. I checked the format of the currdat.lst
        > file and it looks fine. If I delete the file, it gets created anew
        > each minute, so that's fine. The display that HeavyWeather puts up
        > looks good, too.
        >
        > But, despite all of that, when I run WUHU now, the log file shows,
        > every minute, "Failed to retrieve weather data from console.
        Possible
        > invalid/corrupt data detected."
        >
        > Then, when I shut down HeavyWeather and change the option in WUHU to
        > pull directly from the COM1 port, I get the SAME error message,
        which
        > doesn't make sense. (It sees and opens the COM1 port just fine.)
        >
        > So, I'm stuck. I've rebooted the LaCrosse console but that had no
        > effect on the problem, but it comes back up and works just fine, and
        > HeavyWeather can read it via the COM1 port and writes the
        currdat.lst
        > file.
        >
        > I'd understand it if HeavyWeather couldn't read the console and
        write
        > the currdat.lst file, but it's doing that just fine.
        >
        > Any suggestions about what to try now?
        >
        > -- Robert

      • Robert Laird
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
          Contents of currdat.lst:

          -----------

          [header]
          programm_name = "heavy weather"
          programm_version = "Ver. 2.0 beta release"
          file_name = "currdat.lst"
          file_format_version = "ver. 1.0"

          [time]
          start = 3392219962
          start_date_string = "Sat Jun 30 14:19:22 2007"
          last_actualisation = 3392227119
          last_actualisation_date_string = "Sat Jun 30 16:18:39 2007"
          next_actualisation = 3392227179
          next_actualisation_date_string = "Sat Jun 30 16:19:39 2007"

          [weather_picture]
          comment = "-1=not valid, 0=rain, 1=cloud, 2=sun"
          number = 0

          [weather_tendency]
          comment_1 = "-1=not valid, 0=no change of air pressure"
          comment_2 = " 1=air pressure rising, 2=air pressure falling"
          number = 2

          [indoor_temperature]
          deg_C = "25.4"
          deg_F = "77.7"

          [outdoor_temperature]
          deg_C = "28.9"
          deg_F = "84.0"

          [indoor_humidity]
          percent = "57"

          [outdoor_humidity]
          percent = "75"

          [dewpoint]
          deg_C = "24.0"
          deg_F = "75.2"

          [windchill]
          deg_C = "---"
          deg_F = "---"

          [wind_speed]
          mps = "---"
          kmh = "---"
          mph = "---"
          knt = "---"
          bft = "--"

          [wind_direction]
          deg = "---.-"
          name = "---"

          [rain_total]
          mm = "245.0"
          inch = "9.64"

          [rain_24h]
          mm = "16.0"
          inch = "0.63"

          [rain_1h]
          mm = "0.0"
          inch = "0.00"

          [pressure_absolute]
          hpa = "1013.2"
          inHg = "29.91"

          [pressure_relative]
          hpa = "1014.9"
          inHg = "29.96"

          [storm_alarm]
          comment = "-1=not valid, 0=storm alarm not activ, 1=storm alarm activ"
          number = 0
        • Robert Laird
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
            COM1 errors:

            Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > WUHU monitoring started (WUHU21523XXSP).
            Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Weather Underground ID: KTXFREEP2
            Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Weather Underground URL:
            http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXFREEP2
            Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Opened serial port COM1 successfully.
            Sat Jun 30 16:22:40 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
            console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
            Sat Jun 30 16:23:15 2007 > An error occurred reading the wind speed
            and direction from the console.

            I should have mentioned that my wind sensor (direction and speed) has
            frozen up on me and should be replaced (but I can't find a way to just
            buy that part). And, short of buying a whole new system, there's not
            much I can do about it... but, I'm happy with the data without the
            wind info...

            Does WUHU insist on having all the data before it will work?

            -- Robert
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007

              The wind sensor is available here as well as other places online.
              http://www.provantage.com/la-crosse-ws-2310-15~7LCRS036.htm
              I found this plave to have the best price when you include the shipping and they shipped relatively quickly.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
                Robert,

                The problem with WUHU reporting corrupt data is because the wind
                sensor is not plugged in.

                To fix it up for now, goto the tweak screen, enable the 'Disable Wind
                Sensor' then click the 'Save Changes' button.

                When you get the new wind sensor, go back and disable that checkbox.

                <laird@...> wrote:

                > COM1 errors:
                >
                > Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > WUHU monitoring started (WUHU21523XXSP).
                > Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Weather Underground ID: KTXFREEP2
                > Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Weather Underground URL:
                > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
                ID=KTXFREEP2
                > Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Opened serial port COM1 successfully.
                > Sat Jun 30 16:22:40 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                > Sat Jun 30 16:23:15 2007 > An error occurred reading the wind speed
                > and direction from the console.
                >

                > I should have mentioned that my wind sensor (direction and speed)
                has
                > frozen up on me and should be replaced (but I can't find a way to
                just
                > buy that part). And, short of buying a whole new system, there's
                not
                > much I can do about it... but, I'm happy with the data without the
                > wind info...
                >
                > Does WUHU insist on having all the data before it will work?
                >
                > -- Robert

              • Robert Laird
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
                  Thanks! That did the trick! I wonder why it didn't happen earlier
                  since the wind sensor has been broken for quite some time.

                  -- Robert

                  > Robert,
                  >
                  > The problem with WUHU reporting corrupt data is because the wind
                  > sensor is not plugged in.
                  >
                  > To fix it up for now, goto the tweak screen, enable the 'Disable Wind
                  > Sensor' then click the 'Save Changes' button.
                  >
                  > When you get the new wind sensor, go back and disable that checkbox.
                  >

                  > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Laird"
                  > <laird@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > COM1 errors:
                  > >
                  > > Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > WUHU monitoring started (WUHU21523XXSP).
                  > > Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Weather Underground ID: KTXFREEP2
                  > > Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Weather Underground URL:
                  > > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
                  > ID=KTXFREEP2
                  > > Sat Jun 30 16:22:06 2007 > Opened serial port COM1 successfully.
                  > > Sat Jun 30 16:22:40 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
                  > > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
                  > > Sat Jun 30 16:23:15 2007 > An error occurred reading the wind speed
                  > > and direction from the console.
                  > >

                  > > I should have mentioned that my wind sensor (direction and speed)
                  > has
                  > > frozen up on me and should be replaced (but I can't find a way to
                  > just
                  > > buy that part). And, short of buying a whole new system, there's
                  > not
                  > > much I can do about it... but, I'm happy with the data without the
                  > > wind info...
                  > >
                  > > Does WUHU insist on having all the data before it will work?
                  > >
                  > > -- Robert

                • Jaye Ellen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
                    Question:  was the sensor broken but still connected?  Disconnecting it might have made a difference.

                    Jaye Ellen

                    --
                    Jaye Ellen