Re: Question on wind speed

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2007
      Mike,

      Since the WS-23XX stations do not support a wind gust reading, the
      highest wind speed seen over the past 10 minutes is used.

      On the WS-36XX, there is a seperate gust value reported, that value
      is used over the wind speed variable to determine gust. The highest
      gust value over the past 10 mins is reported to the weather servers
      in this case.

      The average wind speed and direction calculations are based on the
      normal wind speed variable (for both WS-23XX and WS-36XX). Vectors
      are used to calculate the average wind speed and direction. CWOP
      defines the average wind speeds to include all readings over the past
      2 minutes.

      When you use rapid fire, the current wind speed read from the unit is
      reported, the 10 minute gust as defined above is reported as well.

      The exception to this is when you check the WU tweak that reports the
      average wind speed and direction, minimum. In this case, the average
      wind speed and direction are reported if the current wind speed is
      equal to or less than the average. If the current exceeds the
      average, the current value is uploaded. This allows for the average
      to be sent most of the time however if a gust is seen, that is
      reported instead.

      Even though you are sending data using rapidfire, WU is storing only
      pieces of your rapid fire data, probably using an internal timer.
      When the timer expires, the next reading is stored. This is just a
      guess.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Mike van Meeteren
      <fast351@...> wrote:

      > Just out of curiousity, I was wondering what WUHU does with the
      wind speed
      > readings as far as averaging goes.
      >
      > I have a LaCrosse WS-2308 set up with a hardwired connection. It
      reports
      > new data every 8 seconds.
      >
      > The WU upload happens every 5 minutes (although I'm running in
      Rapid Fire),