Re: Hi rain total in Heavy Weather history

  • Ron Wayman
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6 3:16 AM
      Thanks Juha

      I've taken everything down and probably won't be back up until later
      today or tomarrow.

      Even though Heavy Weather history was showing an abnormal high
      total, 83.75 and later in the day it was creeping up to 83.77
      rainfall, it didn't show up on the console or on the PC. My total
      rainfall always stayed at 8.9 inches on the WU and also on the PC.

      My ThermoHydro sensor wasn't completely sheltered and during our
      recent deluge of liquid H2O, the battery compartment may have become
      saturated with water and shorted the electornics out.

      Another one of those "Hmmmmmms" My setup was completely temporary
      so hopefully the next time I'm set up it will be more permanent with
      a little more protection and ready to withsatand our next Hurricane
      Season!!?

      Ron

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
      <jjantti2@...> wrote:

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Wayman"
      > <jeffrondee@> wrote:
      >
      > > I had to unplug the sensor and change batteries, and that is
      when my
      > > total rain jumped to above 83.
      >
      > This sounds like a noise translated to a pouring rain. All
      electronic
      > devices are susceptible to such interference. Your example is a
      good
      > one in demonstrating such a behavior.
      >
      > > I'm wondering what would happen if I unplug the cords again?
      >
      > It is likely you will receive a random number of rain again. :)
      >
      > > I had unpluged the cords in the past but did not have any change
      in
      > > the recorded history.
      >
      > It may be far fetched, but it can be that the rain gauge had still
      > some parasitic power remaining and moving the gauge unplugged,
      caused
      > a concentration of that power and when you plugged it back in, it
      > caused a signal of some sort, that was (mis)translated by the
      weather
      > station as rain.
      >
      > What makes this interesting is that the rain wasn't showing on the
      > hourly rain first...
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Juha
      > ---------
      > Weather Underground: IUUSIMAA2
      > CWOP : CW4473

    • Tek Roo
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6 10:00 AM
        I'm going to be working on my rain gauge for my LaCrosse WS-3610 later today, so I'll be able to figure out how it really works and get an exact answer.  The basics of how it works, is there is a teeter-totter like mechanism that rocks back and forth as the rain trickles in from above.  As it does so, a magnet passes by a reed switch.  A reed switch is a magnetic switch that either opens or closes in the presence of a magnetic field.  Reed switches are quite tiny, so it was hard for me to visually see which type it was.   If it's the type that opens, then it is closed when it's waiting for the magnet to pass by and connecting or disconnecting the connector will cause "noise" as the contacts rub together that is counted as rain.  Even if the noise wasn't there, just disconnecting and reconnecting the cable would count at 0.1 inches of rain.

        If it's the other type of switch, then I'd have to take a closer look at the connector inside the thermo/hygro/transmitter unit to see if it's possible to short the connector out while making the connection.

        Whenever I'm working on the system, I stop the WUHU loader so I don't pass bad data onward.  After the work is completed, I clear the counts from the base unit and make sure any odd numbers are being stored in the history file(s).

        Whichever the case, I hope to know more later.  I removed the cable that came with the rain gauge and replaced it with a longer one.  It doesn't appear to be working at all right now, but then again, if you've ever put an RJ-11 connector on a twisted pair CAT-5 cable in the dark, in the cold, in the wind, then you'll understand that it is difficult to make sure each wire is exactly where it is supposed to be and I knew as I was making the crimp that I'd probably be back to do it again when I had time during daylight hours.

        We'll see!

        Richard

        <jeffrondee@...> wrote:

        > I had to unplug the sensor and change batteries, and that is when my
        > total rain jumped to above 83.

        This sounds like a noise translated to a pouring rain. All electronic
        devices are susceptible to such interference. Your example is a good
        one in demonstrating such a behavior.

        > I'm wondering what would happen if I unplug the cords again?

        It is likely you will receive a random number of rain again. :)

        > I had unpluged the cords in the past but did not have any change in
        > the recorded history.

        It may be far fetched, but it can be that the rain gauge had still
        some parasitic power remaining and moving the gauge unplugged, caused
        a concentration of that power and when you plugged it back in, it
        caused a signal of some sort, that was (mis)translated by the weather
        station as rain.

        What makes this interesting is that the rain wasn't showing on the
        hourly rain first...

        Best Regards,
        Juha
        ---------
        Weather Underground: IUUSIMAA2
        CWOP               : CW4473

        Weather underground Personal weather station Weather stations
        Standard edition

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • stevech@san.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6 12:21 PM

          A frequent complaint is noise getting on the unshielded cable. changing it to shielded wire has helped others.