Re: heavy weathe problems

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007

      mtm,

      In general, the port on the back of the computer is usually more reliable than USB to serial adapters however  your serial port may be damaged.

      Before you run out and buy a new serial port, make sure there is not a problem with the console or the serial cable by using another computer. If it does work, you probably do have a damaged port.

      You can buy a PCI card with serial ports or a USB to serial adapter. The USB adapters are nice in that they can be easily transfered to other PCs or laptops.

      Here is a post about the IO Gear adapter that I have used and tested. I would recommend this one as a I know it works.

      If you try other brands, it is a roll of the dice as to whether they actually work or lock up your computer (due to poorly written device drivers).

      See this post: