heavy weathe problems

  • mtm81989
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
      ok i while back i wrote about this problem i was having with my weather
      station. the base was no communicating with the computer. the com ports
      on the software was saying all my weather data was in com port 3, and
      it is supposted to be in com port 1. well for the longest time i had no
      clue what to do. well i just desided to hook it up to my mothers
      computer in her bedroom and run it in there while i try and fix my
      computer. well i fix half the problems. i got the com ports back to the
      way they are supposted to be ( reading all the data in com port 1) but
      the base is still not communicating with the base. i had this same
      problem with another computer i had and yall said that i need to use
      watchdog on it and i did and it worked. well i thought i would use
      watchdog on this computer to see if it would work. well it didnt. it
      kept saying that i spelt heavy weather.exe wrong and i need to check my
      spelling. so im out of ideas on what to do. why wont it connect with
      the computer?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
        mtm81989,

        Couple of questions:

        1) Are you running XP?
        2) Did you download the correct version of the Watchdog .zip file?

        My advice would be to stop running Heavyweather and have WUHU
        communicate with the console using direct serial mode.

        If you want to try it, first stop Heavyweather. Run WUHU, hit the
        Stop button, in the general settings select WS-23XX Direct Serial
        mode in the combo box, to the right, select the port that the console
        is connected to, then hit Start.

        The above assumes you have a WS-2310 or WS-2308. If you have a WS-
        3600, select WS-36XX Direct Serial mode.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mtm81989" <mtm81989@...>
        wrote:

        > ok i while back i wrote about this problem i was having with my
        weather
        > station. the base was no communicating with the computer. the com
        ports
        > on the software was saying all my weather data was in com port 3,
        and
        > it is supposted to be in com port 1. well for the longest time i
        had no
        > clue what to do. well i just desided to hook it up to my mothers
        > computer in her bedroom and run it in there while i try and fix my
        > computer. well i fix half the problems. i got the com ports back to
        the
        > way they are supposted to be ( reading all the data in com port 1)
        but
        > the base is still not communicating with the base. i had this same
        > problem with another computer i had and yall said that i need to
        use
        > watchdog on it and i did and it worked. well i thought i would use
        > watchdog on this computer to see if it would work. well it didnt.
        it
        > kept saying that i spelt heavy weather.exe wrong and i need to
        check my
        > spelling. so im out of ideas on what to do. why wont it connect
        with
        > the computer?

      • mtm81989
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
          yes i am using xp and i think i did the right watchdog. but i will
          try your advise and see if it works.

          > mtm81989,
          >
          > Couple of questions:
          >
          > 1) Are you running XP?
          > 2) Did you download the correct version of the Watchdog .zip file?
          >
          > My advice would be to stop running Heavyweather and have WUHU
          > communicate with the console using direct serial mode.
          >
          > If you want to try it, first stop Heavyweather. Run WUHU, hit the
          > Stop button, in the general settings select WS-23XX Direct Serial
          > mode in the combo box, to the right, select the port that the
          console
          > is connected to, then hit Start.
          >
          > The above assumes you have a WS-2310 or WS-2308. If you have a WS-
          > 3600, select WS-36XX Direct Serial mode.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mtm81989" <mtm81989@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > ok i while back i wrote about this problem i was having with my
          > weather
          > > station. the base was no communicating with the computer. the com
          > ports
          > > on the software was saying all my weather data was in com port 3,
          > and
          > > it is supposted to be in com port 1. well for the longest time i
          > had no
          > > clue what to do. well i just desided to hook it up to my mothers
          > > computer in her bedroom and run it in there while i try and fix
          my
          > > computer. well i fix half the problems. i got the com ports back
          > the
          > > way they are supposted to be ( reading all the data in com port
          1)
          > but
          > > the base is still not communicating with the base. i had this
          same
          > > problem with another computer i had and yall said that i need to
          > use
          > > watchdog on it and i did and it worked. well i thought i would
          use
          > > watchdog on this computer to see if it would work. well it didnt.
          > it
          > > kept saying that i spelt heavy weather.exe wrong and i need to
          > check my
          > > spelling. so im out of ideas on what to do. why wont it connect
          > with
          > > the computer?

        • mtm81989
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
            well i tryied what you said and it said "Sun Jun 03 16:01:13 2007 >
            Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible
            invalid/corrupt data detected." i think that it is a com port
            problem. is there anything that you can buy that would stick into
            your computer that has com ports on it so you dont have to go with
            the one on the back of the computer?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007

              mtm,

              In general, the port on the back of the computer is usually more reliable than USB to serial adapters however  your serial port may be damaged.

              Before you run out and buy a new serial port, make sure there is not a problem with the console or the serial cable by using another computer. If it does work, you probably do have a damaged port.

              You can buy a PCI card with serial ports or a USB to serial adapter. The USB adapters are nice in that they can be easily transfered to other PCs or laptops.

              Here is a post about the IO Gear adapter that I have used and tested. I would recommend this one as a I know it works.

              If you try other brands, it is a roll of the dice as to whether they actually work or lock up your computer (due to poorly written device drivers).

              See this post: