WMR968

  • oldcessna21
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hi all,
      I am not happy with the overall quality of my LaCrosse 2308 station,
      and am considering buying a different setup. I would like to hear
      comments from others using the WMR968. Are there problems with the
      unit? Is the solar powered wireless a problem? ETC.
      Thanks,
      Dennis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2007
        Dennis,
        I helped the local school with a WMR968 and it seems to be working OK,
        The wind speed update time is a bit slow, the rainfall resolution,I
        think is less than the LaCrosse.
        This unit seems to have a humidity problem, reading extremely low, not
        sure if it is just the sensor or not.
        The solar panels seem to work fine, so you are not restricted in
        sensor placement like you are when using the Lacrosse.
        Installation is fairly easy, just need a small screw driver. The
        directions are not that good, better directions are available at the
        RadioShack site, as they used to sell this model.
        If you o buy one, let me know and I will try to find it for you.

        Steve
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
          Hello All,

          I am new to the forum and joined because of my interest in the CWOP and WUHUprograms. After reading as much as I could on those programs and checking out equipment I'd like to ask about the Oregon Scientific WMR968. I like the fact that it is wireless and the station with sensors seems to be reasonable. ($214 on eBay with free US shipping). Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

          Thanks,

          Tom
        • Don

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
              The Radio Shack manual is here: http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/6301016_PM_EN.pdf

              Vince

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
                I've had a 968 for a year and a half now and am pretty well satisfied with it.  There's +'s and -'s.  I like the solar power and the flexibility to place the sensors in different locations.  However, I've had two humidity sensors die on me, and I ended up going with the solid state temp/rh sensor that transmits on channel 1 (the 968 has the capability for additional sensors).

                If you look around you can find the stations for $189 or less.

                Greg Whitehead
                Euchee, TN
                CWOP:  DW0148
                WU:  KTNEUCHE3 and KTNTENMI2
                OS WMR968 WUHU
                WS-2315 WUHU
                CoCoRaHS:  TN-MS-1

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 22, 2009
                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <milkbottledude@...> wrote:

                  > Hello All,
                  >
                  > I am new to the forum and joined because of my interest in the CWOP and WUHUprograms. After reading as much as I could on those programs and checking out equipment I'd like to ask about the Oregon Scientific WMR968. I like the fact that it is wireless and the station with sensors seems to be reasonable. ($214 on eBay with free US shipping). Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

                  I've owned WMR968s for a number of years. I'm reasonably happy with them. The wireless, solar charging, and ability to add more temperature sensors are the big pluses.

                  On my current house I have both a WMR968 and a wired LaCrosse 2316 installed, so I can give some comparisons. The 2316 is wired because I want the faster update rate and I don't want to be up on a ladder replacing batteries in the middle of winter.

                  The WMR968 reports wind direction to a higher precision in 1 degree increments whereas the LaCrosse is a more coarse (~5 degree increments, I think).

                  The wind speeds reported by the two dance around within a couple mph of each other. The WMR968 seems to have slightly less friction in the bearings, but the WMR968 also seems to have more of a magnetic attraction in the sensor mechanism. What this means is in very light winds I at times see the 2316 sensor turning and the WMR sensor stopped, but if I look closely the WMR sensor cups are moving slightly back and forth around the magnetic attraction in the sensor, but the wind isn't strong enough to overcome the attraction. Once that attraction is overcome, the WMR is more likely to stay turning in very, very light winds than the 2316, so I've also seen times where the WMR is turning and the 2316 is stopped. I call it a draw.

                  The outdoor temperature sensors are about 20 ft apart and are generally within a couple degrees of each other. The WMR averages about a degree higher, but I can't say which is more accurate. Both seem reasonably close.

                  There's a much wider variance in the humidity sensor readings and I recently caught the WMR reading way too low, but it recovered and seems to be working normally again. I can't say which is more accurate. I suspect neither is overly accurate, but I have a feeling the LaCrosse readings are the more accurate ones.

                  The indoor temp sensor is wireless for the WMR and can be placed in a good location. The sensor is built into the 2316 console, which I have mounted to an outer wall, so the indoor temp is pretty much useless during the winter for me on the 2316.

                  The WMR is a bit more retarded in the way it shows rain totals than the LaCrosse. From memory, the WMR reports total rain, yesterdays rain, and current rain rate. It does not report 24 hour or 1 hour rain, which the LaCrosse does. I find the 24 hour and 1 hour readings much more useful.

                  Except for add on sensors, the WMR shows all stock sensors on its display simultaneously. The LaCrosse needs to be paged through the sensors, which is a bit annoying.

                  The LaCrosse keeps some history information in the console, which allows a computer to collect data from times that the comptuer was off. The WMR has no internal history, so if the computer logging data is off, the data is lost.

                  Both work OK. The WMR is generally a more capable unit, but it is also a more expensive unit. I think I paid $90 for the LaCrosse (post Christmas closeout special at Costco) and a little under $200 for the WMR.

                  Overall I like the WMR better, mostly because of the wireless and being able to add more temp/humidity sensors. I won't keep the LaCrosse connected directly to a computer without a serial opto-isolator due to the possibility of lightning damage to the computer. So far I haven't found a (cheap) isolator that works with the LaCrosse.

                  Cliff