Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Weather station down....

  • Rich Brunnworth
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
      IMHO... Do NOT use phone cord. Use cat5E (shielded) cable.

      BTW.... for any wireless operation the max distance stated by the
      manufacturer is under the most ideal conditions. I usually take their
      statements with a huge grain of salt.

      Rich
      This email scanned with AVG antivirus program

      Karl Kingston wrote:

      > Beginning to wonder if maybe the distance is just a little too much. What
      > I'm planning on doing is this:
      >
      > Get several feet of 3/4" PVC pipe with connectors and elbows. Get some
      > long extension phone cords. Dig a trench from my shed where the station
      > is attached to my deck. Run the lines from the sensors in the PVC pipe
      > Bury the PVC pipe and put the turf back over. The remote thermo unit will
      > be closer to the deck (and hopefully will be able to stay locked).
      >
      > Any flaws with this? Is there a limit to how far I can go?

    • Karl Kingston
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
        On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Rich Brunnworth wrote:

        > IMHO... Do NOT use phone cord. Use cat5E (shielded) cable.

        OK. Is there any limitation to the distance from the sensors to the
        thermo unit? Happen to have some CAT5E cable in the garage--just need to
        get some ends and build some cables.

        > BTW.... for any wireless operation the max distance stated by the
        > manufacturer is under the most ideal conditions. I usually take their
        > statements with a huge grain of salt.

        That's the funny part. For the most part, where the thermo and console
        were located, I was getting very good results throughout the winter. Now
        that summer is here, I'm having issues--console loses connection to the
        thermo unit (happens more frequently).

        > Rich
        > This email scanned with AVG antivirus program
        >
        > Karl Kingston wrote:
        >>

        >> Beginning to wonder if maybe the distance is just a little too much. What
        >> I'm planning on doing is this:
        >>
        >> Get several feet of 3/4" PVC pipe with connectors and elbows. Get some
        >> long extension phone cords. Dig a trench from my shed where the station
        >> is attached to my deck. Run the lines from the sensors in the PVC pipe
        >> Bury the PVC pipe and put the turf back over. The remote thermo unit will
        >> be closer to the deck (and hopefully will be able to stay locked).
        >>
        >> Any flaws with this? Is there a limit to how far I can go?

      • tfa3177
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kingston
          <kkingsto@...> wrote:

          > On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Rich Brunnworth wrote:
          >
          > > IMHO... Do NOT use phone cord. Use cat5E (shielded) cable.
          >
          > OK. Is there any limitation to the distance from the sensors to the
          > thermo unit? Happen to have some CAT5E cable in the garage--just
          need to
          > get some ends and build some cables.

          Just make sure your cat5e in fact has some sort of foil or metal
          shielding around the bunch of inner wires. I made the mistake of
          buying some off-brand that said it was shielded, and the "shielding"
          happened to be the plastic itself! Sheesh.

          I've got 75ft of cat5e STP (aluminum foil-shielded) coming in this
          week to replace the cat5 I converted my anemometer to a few weeks ago.
          Hopefully, this will make all the difference.

          > That's the funny part. For the most part, where the thermo and console
          > were located, I was getting very good results throughout the winter.
          Now
          > that summer is here, I'm having issues--console loses connection to the
          > thermo unit (happens more frequently).

          Mine's lost connection for hours at a time since the anemometer
          conversion; probably in the wiring. I've rewired it several times to
          mitigate the role of my own wiring process, and it's definitely the
          wire type rather than soldering incompetence in my case.

          Once I'm completely up on cat5e STP, things should turn around. Or, at
          least, I hope they do. It's odd that I've never once had this same
          issue with the rain gauge, which actually performs very well with the
          standard telephone line.

          - Gary
          - WS3610 Owner
        • Karl Kingston
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
            On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, tfa3177 wrote:

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kingston
            > <kkingsto@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Rich Brunnworth wrote:
            >>
            >>> IMHO... Do NOT use phone cord. Use cat5E (shielded) cable.
            >>
            >> OK. Is there any limitation to the distance from the sensors to the
            >> thermo unit? Happen to have some CAT5E cable in the garage--just
            > need to
            >> get some ends and build some cables.
            >
            > Just make sure your cat5e in fact has some sort of foil or metal
            > shielding around the bunch of inner wires. I made the mistake of
            > buying some off-brand that said it was shielded, and the "shielding"
            > happened to be the plastic itself! Sheesh.

            I'll check that when I get home. I'm pretty sure the cable (I got this
            box from Home Depot several years ago) has a foil shield.

            > I've got 75ft of cat5e STP (aluminum foil-shielded) coming in this
            > week to replace the cat5 I converted my anemometer to a few weeks ago.
            > Hopefully, this will make all the difference.
            >
            >> That's the funny part. For the most part, where the thermo and console
            >> were located, I was getting very good results throughout the winter.
            > Now
            >> that summer is here, I'm having issues--console loses connection to the
            >> thermo unit (happens more frequently).
            >
            > Mine's lost connection for hours at a time since the anemometer
            > conversion; probably in the wiring. I've rewired it several times to
            > mitigate the role of my own wiring process, and it's definitely the
            > wire type rather than soldering incompetence in my case.

            My case is I get NOTHING from the thermo unit at all--no rain, no wind, no
            temps, and no humidity. Going to see if I can move the unit closer to
            the house and see what happens. Been up since about midnight so far so I
            wonder if I'm getting interference from something--any way to find out??

            > Once I'm completely up on cat5e STP, things should turn around. Or, at
            > least, I hope they do. It's odd that I've never once had this same
            > issue with the rain gauge, which actually performs very well with the
            > standard telephone line.

            Haven't had any problems until a few weeks ago. Just built a solar
            radiation shield for the thermo unit (and this brought the unit about 3-5
            feet closer to the house).