Re: WEB cam software

  • markhkelley
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
      John,
      Yes, It would have to capture the image at 60 second intervals, and
      then upload it to the WU server.
      Keep in mind that file size is limited as I understand it, too large
      a file size and WU servers will kick it as bad.
      Mark+
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
        John,
        I am not sure what issues folks are having. As I stated, I am one of
        the lucky ones and the software that came with my Creative Cam works
        just fine. It uses the "remote monitoring" module of the software.
        I believe the issues that some are having is that some software
        creates temp file names for the.jpg images and WU was not accepting
        them, however Alan had stated that WU fixed that issue. Another issue
        is that WU will not accept any file size over I think 150kb, so this
        may also be an issue for some.
        I know that is not much help, perhaps some folks that are experiencing
        difficulties can list their specific issues for you.

        Steve
      • schaka1
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
          John, following up on Steve's post, I have been having intermittent
          problems having my post appear on the webcam site. I know the guys at
          WU are working their butts off to provide us the same reliable service
          with weather cam as with the other services they provide us.

          I believe it was John Celenza from WU who posted that the unexpected
          quick acceptance and rapid growth of this feature is one of the
          challenges they face. I cann't recall the exact numbers but it was a
          good deal more than what they expected!

          It would be great to have a dedicated weather cam software with FTP!
          Anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask.

          Just a note, I've used four (4) webcam software programs through the
          beta and now into the final usage phase of this feature. Aside from
          the issues that Steve rightly says are resolved, from a neophyte's
          perspective, it seems to be a timing/load issue. It could be a
          function of the rapid growth of the feature

          All four of those programs would show a successful upload. All would
          for a period of time display the uploaded Jpeg. Then the picture on
          the server side would stop being updated while all four(4) of my
          various software programs were showing successful uploads.

          The programs I have used are: Weather Display, Coffeecup Webcam,
          Where's James and Fwink

          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          > John,
          > I am not sure what issues folks are having. As I stated, I am one of
          > the lucky ones and the software that came with my Creative Cam works
          > just fine. It uses the "remote monitoring" module of the software.
          > I believe the issues that some are having is that some software
          > creates temp file names for the.jpg images and WU was not accepting
          > them, however Alan had stated that WU fixed that issue. Another issue
          > is that WU will not accept any file size over I think 150kb, so this
          > may also be an issue for some.
          > I know that is not much help, perhaps some folks that are experiencing
          > difficulties can list their specific issues for you.
          >
          > Steve

        • Alan Steremberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
            We want this service to work with all webcam software.  We have a few more changes to put into the software to improve the performance.

            Alan

            --
            Alan Steremberg
            Weather Underground
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
              For a couple years I have been using webcamXP. It has many nice
              features, including live video streaming & sound, pan-tilt-zoom, and
              of course ftp. Having no probs running my live stream, and ftping a
              pic every minute to WU. Feel free to check it out:

              http://www.webcamxp.com/

              dan

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                Dan,
                bet it's a lot cheaper now than when you bought it !!