RE: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WEB cam software

  • John Liss
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
      SO question for you guys...

      Are you looking for webcam software that takes the picture, then uploads?

      Or do you guys have something that spits out a .jpg/.gif file already and just need to FTP it some place when the file changes?

      I am thinking the latter.

      -John

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
        John,
        Yes, It would have to capture the image at 60 second intervals, and
        then upload it to the WU server.
        Keep in mind that file size is limited as I understand it, too large
        a file size and WU servers will kick it as bad.
        Mark+
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
          John,
          I am not sure what issues folks are having. As I stated, I am one of
          the lucky ones and the software that came with my Creative Cam works
          just fine. It uses the "remote monitoring" module of the software.
          I believe the issues that some are having is that some software
          creates temp file names for the.jpg images and WU was not accepting
          them, however Alan had stated that WU fixed that issue. Another issue
          is that WU will not accept any file size over I think 150kb, so this
          may also be an issue for some.
          I know that is not much help, perhaps some folks that are experiencing
          difficulties can list their specific issues for you.

          Steve
        • schaka1
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
            John, following up on Steve's post, I have been having intermittent
            problems having my post appear on the webcam site. I know the guys at
            WU are working their butts off to provide us the same reliable service
            with weather cam as with the other services they provide us.

            I believe it was John Celenza from WU who posted that the unexpected
            quick acceptance and rapid growth of this feature is one of the
            challenges they face. I cann't recall the exact numbers but it was a
            good deal more than what they expected!

            It would be great to have a dedicated weather cam software with FTP!
            Anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask.

            Just a note, I've used four (4) webcam software programs through the
            beta and now into the final usage phase of this feature. Aside from
            the issues that Steve rightly says are resolved, from a neophyte's
            perspective, it seems to be a timing/load issue. It could be a
            function of the rapid growth of the feature

            All four of those programs would show a successful upload. All would
            for a period of time display the uploaded Jpeg. Then the picture on
            the server side would stop being updated while all four(4) of my
            various software programs were showing successful uploads.

            The programs I have used are: Weather Display, Coffeecup Webcam,
            Where's James and Fwink

            <steve_03222@...> wrote:

            > John,
            > I am not sure what issues folks are having. As I stated, I am one of
            > the lucky ones and the software that came with my Creative Cam works
            > just fine. It uses the "remote monitoring" module of the software.
            > I believe the issues that some are having is that some software
            > creates temp file names for the.jpg images and WU was not accepting
            > them, however Alan had stated that WU fixed that issue. Another issue
            > is that WU will not accept any file size over I think 150kb, so this
            > may also be an issue for some.
            > I know that is not much help, perhaps some folks that are experiencing
            > difficulties can list their specific issues for you.
            >
            > Steve

          • Alan Steremberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
              We want this service to work with all webcam software.  We have a few more changes to put into the software to improve the performance.

              Alan

              --
              Alan Steremberg
              Weather Underground
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                For a couple years I have been using webcamXP. It has many nice
                features, including live video streaming & sound, pan-tilt-zoom, and
                of course ftp. Having no probs running my live stream, and ftping a
                pic every minute to WU. Feel free to check it out:

                http://www.webcamxp.com/

                dan

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Dan,
                  bet it's a lot cheaper now than when you bought it !!