Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WEB cam software

  • John Liss
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
      Steve,
      Yup it means exactly that.
      Now if I can just get some time :]]

      steve_03222 sat down at the console on 5/31/2007 7:57 PM and madly
      banged out:
      > John,
      > Not sure what that all means, but if it means;
      > something simple to capture weathercam shots every minute and upload
      > to WU with minimal resourses and human interaction, then it sounds
      > great. LOL
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> I was actually thinking of cranking out a WU Webcam uploader
      >>
      > myself that
      >
      >> runs as a service.
      >> I just haven't had the time to sit down and write it.
      >>
      >> Couple ideas floating around in my head were:
      >>
      >> On source file change upload to ftp site
      >> Runs as a service so you don't have to worry about systray stuff
      >> Multi source multi destinations. (with renames overwrite etc)
      >>
      >> -John
      >>
      >> RS Moreland sat down at the console on 5/31/2007 8:35 AM and madly
      >> banged out:
      >>
      >>> Hi,
      >>>
      >>> Should another group be setup for this topic? I've been looking
      >>>
      > at a
      >
      >>> lot of software for uploading to WU. many are much more complex
      >>>
      > for
      >
      >>> this task only, and not very friendly. This applies to free,
      >>>
      > shareware
      >
      >>> and paid.
      >>>
      >>> Maybe another group could deal with this as it doesn't seem to
      >>>
      > belong
      >
      >>> in this one.
      >>>
      >>> What do you think.
      >>>
      >>> Bob

      >>> Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

      >>> WUHU Download page:
      >>> http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > WUHU Download page:
      > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • RS Moreland
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
        John,

        I hope you can find the time. I certainly would appreciate it as I do
        WUHU.

        Bob

        minimum)?http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/join

        > > WUHU Download page:
        > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Liss
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
          SO question for you guys...

          Are you looking for webcam software that takes the picture, then uploads?

          Or do you guys have something that spits out a .jpg/.gif file already and just need to FTP it some place when the file changes?

          I am thinking the latter.

        • markhkelley
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
            John,
            Yes, It would have to capture the image at 60 second intervals, and
            then upload it to the WU server.
            Keep in mind that file size is limited as I understand it, too large
            a file size and WU servers will kick it as bad.
            Mark+
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
              John,
              I am not sure what issues folks are having. As I stated, I am one of
              the lucky ones and the software that came with my Creative Cam works
              just fine. It uses the "remote monitoring" module of the software.
              I believe the issues that some are having is that some software
              creates temp file names for the.jpg images and WU was not accepting
              them, however Alan had stated that WU fixed that issue. Another issue
              is that WU will not accept any file size over I think 150kb, so this
              may also be an issue for some.
              I know that is not much help, perhaps some folks that are experiencing
              difficulties can list their specific issues for you.

              Steve
            • schaka1
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                John, following up on Steve's post, I have been having intermittent
                problems having my post appear on the webcam site. I know the guys at
                WU are working their butts off to provide us the same reliable service
                with weather cam as with the other services they provide us.

                I believe it was John Celenza from WU who posted that the unexpected
                quick acceptance and rapid growth of this feature is one of the
                challenges they face. I cann't recall the exact numbers but it was a
                good deal more than what they expected!

                It would be great to have a dedicated weather cam software with FTP!
                Anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask.

                Just a note, I've used four (4) webcam software programs through the
                beta and now into the final usage phase of this feature. Aside from
                the issues that Steve rightly says are resolved, from a neophyte's
                perspective, it seems to be a timing/load issue. It could be a
                function of the rapid growth of the feature

                All four of those programs would show a successful upload. All would
                for a period of time display the uploaded Jpeg. Then the picture on
                the server side would stop being updated while all four(4) of my
                various software programs were showing successful uploads.

                The programs I have used are: Weather Display, Coffeecup Webcam,
                Where's James and Fwink

                <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                > John,
                > I am not sure what issues folks are having. As I stated, I am one of
                > the lucky ones and the software that came with my Creative Cam works
                > just fine. It uses the "remote monitoring" module of the software.
                > I believe the issues that some are having is that some software
                > creates temp file names for the.jpg images and WU was not accepting
                > them, however Alan had stated that WU fixed that issue. Another issue
                > is that WU will not accept any file size over I think 150kb, so this
                > may also be an issue for some.
                > I know that is not much help, perhaps some folks that are experiencing
                > difficulties can list their specific issues for you.
                >
                > Steve

              • Alan Steremberg
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                  We want this service to work with all webcam software.  We have a few more changes to put into the software to improve the performance.

                  Alan

                  --
                  Alan Steremberg
                  Weather Underground
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                    For a couple years I have been using webcamXP. It has many nice
                    features, including live video streaming & sound, pan-tilt-zoom, and
                    of course ftp. Having no probs running my live stream, and ftping a
                    pic every minute to WU. Feel free to check it out:

                    http://www.webcamxp.com/

                    dan

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                      Dan,
                      bet it's a lot cheaper now than when you bought it !!