WEB cam software

  • RS Moreland
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2007
      Hi,

      Should another group be setup for this topic? I've been looking at a
      lot of software for uploading to WU. many are much more complex for
      this task only, and not very friendly. This applies to free, shareware
      and paid.

      Maybe another group could deal with this as it doesn't seem to belong
      in this one.

      What do you think.

      Bob
      Message 2 of 14 , May 31, 2007
        Bob,
        I think any discussion regarding webcam uploads could remain in this
        group.
        This group was instrumental in assisting WU to get this program
        started.
        I personally have no expertise in webcam software. I guess I was lucky
        and the software that came with my webcam was equiped to handle the
        FTP uploads. I never had any issues. It is Creative Lab softwware.
        If there is specific issues that no one can help with in this group
        then an e-mail to support@... should be made.
        This goes directly to the developer and he will answer e-mails as soon
        as possible.
        WU is very interested in any issues uploader have as they try to make
        their systems as easy to use as possible for us.

        Just my 2 cents !!

        Steve
      • RS Moreland
        Message 3 of 14 , May 31, 2007
          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          > Bob,
          > I think any discussion regarding webcam uploads could remain in
          this
          > group.
          > This group was instrumental in assisting WU to get this program
          > started.
          > I personally have no expertise in webcam software. I guess I was
          lucky
          > and the software that came with my webcam was equiped to handle the
          > FTP uploads. I never had any issues. It is Creative Lab softwware.
          > If there is specific issues that no one can help with in this group
          > then an e-mail to support@... should be made.
          > This goes directly to the developer and he will answer e-mails as
          soon
          > as possible.
          > WU is very interested in any issues uploader have as they try to
          make
          > their systems as easy to use as possible for us.
          >
          > Just my 2 cents !!
          >
          > Steve

          No agenda here for me. I was just concerned that this was off topic
          for this group because it's moderated and setup for WUHU which is a
          great program and this group has been very helpful to me for my ws
          operation.

          Bob
        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 14 , May 31, 2007
            I was actually thinking of cranking out a WU Webcam uploader myself that
            runs as a service.
            I just haven't had the time to sit down and write it.

            Couple ideas floating around in my head were:

            On source file change upload to ftp site
            Runs as a service so you don't have to worry about systray stuff
            Multi source multi destinations. (with renames overwrite etc)

            -John

            RS Moreland sat down at the console on 5/31/2007 8:35 AM and madly
            banged out:

            Message 5 of 14 , May 31, 2007
              John,
              Not sure what that all means, but if it means;
              something simple to capture weathercam shots every minute and upload
              to WU with minimal resourses and human interaction, then it sounds
              great. LOL

              Steve

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...>
              wrote:

              > I was actually thinking of cranking out a WU Webcam uploader
              myself that
              > runs as a service.
              > I just haven't had the time to sit down and write it.
              >
              > Couple ideas floating around in my head were:
              >
              > On source file change upload to ftp site
              > Runs as a service so you don't have to worry about systray stuff
              > Multi source multi destinations. (with renames overwrite etc)
              >
              > -John
              >
              > RS Moreland sat down at the console on 5/31/2007 8:35 AM and madly
              > banged out:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Should another group be setup for this topic? I've been looking
              at a
              > > lot of software for uploading to WU. many are much more complex
              for
              > > this task only, and not very friendly. This applies to free,
              shareware
              > > and paid.
              > >
              > > Maybe another group could deal with this as it doesn't seem to
              belong
              > > in this one.
              > >
              > > What do you think.
              > >
              > > Bob

              > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

              > > WUHU Download page:
              > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John Liss
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
                Steve,
                Yup it means exactly that.
                Now if I can just get some time :]]

                steve_03222 sat down at the console on 5/31/2007 7:57 PM and madly
                banged out:
                > John,
                > Not sure what that all means, but if it means;
                > something simple to capture weathercam shots every minute and upload
                > to WU with minimal resourses and human interaction, then it sounds
                > great. LOL
                >
                > Steve
                >
                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> I was actually thinking of cranking out a WU Webcam uploader
                >>
                > myself that
                >
                >> runs as a service.
                >> I just haven't had the time to sit down and write it.
                >>
                >> Couple ideas floating around in my head were:
                >>
                >> On source file change upload to ftp site
                >> Runs as a service so you don't have to worry about systray stuff
                >> Multi source multi destinations. (with renames overwrite etc)
                >>
                >> -John
                >>
                >> RS Moreland sat down at the console on 5/31/2007 8:35 AM and madly
                >> banged out:
                >>
                >>> Hi,
                >>>
                >>> Should another group be setup for this topic? I've been looking
                >>>
                > at a
                >
                >>> lot of software for uploading to WU. many are much more complex
                >>>
                > for
                >
                >>> this task only, and not very friendly. This applies to free,
                >>>
                > shareware
                >
                >>> and paid.
                >>>
                >>> Maybe another group could deal with this as it doesn't seem to
                >>>
                > belong
                >
                >>> in this one.
                >>>
                >>> What do you think.
                >>>
                >>> Bob

                >>> Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                >>> WUHU Download page:
                >>> http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
                >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                > WUHU Download page:
                > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • RS Moreland
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
                  John,

                  I hope you can find the time. I certainly would appreciate it as I do
                  WUHU.

                  Bob

                  minimum)?http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/join

                  > > WUHU Download page:
                  > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • John Liss
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
                    SO question for you guys...

                    Are you looking for webcam software that takes the picture, then uploads?

                    Or do you guys have something that spits out a .jpg/.gif file already and just need to FTP it some place when the file changes?

                    I am thinking the latter.

                  • markhkelley
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                      John,
                      Yes, It would have to capture the image at 60 second intervals, and
                      then upload it to the WU server.
                      Keep in mind that file size is limited as I understand it, too large
                      a file size and WU servers will kick it as bad.
                      Mark+
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                        John,
                        I am not sure what issues folks are having. As I stated, I am one of
                        the lucky ones and the software that came with my Creative Cam works
                        just fine. It uses the "remote monitoring" module of the software.
                        I believe the issues that some are having is that some software
                        creates temp file names for the.jpg images and WU was not accepting
                        them, however Alan had stated that WU fixed that issue. Another issue
                        is that WU will not accept any file size over I think 150kb, so this
                        may also be an issue for some.
                        I know that is not much help, perhaps some folks that are experiencing
                        difficulties can list their specific issues for you.

                        Steve
                      • schaka1
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                          John, following up on Steve's post, I have been having intermittent
                          problems having my post appear on the webcam site. I know the guys at
                          WU are working their butts off to provide us the same reliable service
                          with weather cam as with the other services they provide us.

                          I believe it was John Celenza from WU who posted that the unexpected
                          quick acceptance and rapid growth of this feature is one of the
                          challenges they face. I cann't recall the exact numbers but it was a
                          good deal more than what they expected!

                          It would be great to have a dedicated weather cam software with FTP!
                          Anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask.

                          Just a note, I've used four (4) webcam software programs through the
                          beta and now into the final usage phase of this feature. Aside from
                          the issues that Steve rightly says are resolved, from a neophyte's
                          perspective, it seems to be a timing/load issue. It could be a
                          function of the rapid growth of the feature

                          All four of those programs would show a successful upload. All would
                          for a period of time display the uploaded Jpeg. Then the picture on
                          the server side would stop being updated while all four(4) of my
                          various software programs were showing successful uploads.

                          The programs I have used are: Weather Display, Coffeecup Webcam,
                          Where's James and Fwink

                          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                          > John,
                          > I am not sure what issues folks are having. As I stated, I am one of
                          > the lucky ones and the software that came with my Creative Cam works
                          > just fine. It uses the "remote monitoring" module of the software.
                          > I believe the issues that some are having is that some software
                          > creates temp file names for the.jpg images and WU was not accepting
                          > them, however Alan had stated that WU fixed that issue. Another issue
                          > is that WU will not accept any file size over I think 150kb, so this
                          > may also be an issue for some.
                          > I know that is not much help, perhaps some folks that are experiencing
                          > difficulties can list their specific issues for you.
                          >
                          > Steve

                        • Alan Steremberg
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                            We want this service to work with all webcam software.  We have a few more changes to put into the software to improve the performance.

                            Alan

                            --
                            Alan Steremberg
                            Weather Underground
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                              For a couple years I have been using webcamXP. It has many nice
                              features, including live video streaming & sound, pan-tilt-zoom, and
                              of course ftp. Having no probs running my live stream, and ftping a
                              pic every minute to WU. Feel free to check it out:

                              http://www.webcamxp.com/

                              dan

                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 2, 2007
                                Dan,
                                bet it's a lot cheaper now than when you bought it !!