Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WU

  • Alan Steremberg
    Message 1 of 18 , May 30, 2007
      Hi,

      I am not sure what the problem is.  I would love to blame it on Chinese Weather Channel hackers. Sounds perfect!

      Most likely we are just having trouble keeping up with the cams, we didn't expect it to grow this quickly.  We were planning for 10,000 cams but not in the first weekend :-)

      Alan

      On 5/30/07, steve_03222 <steve_03222@...> wrote:

      David,
      Usually WU issues are very short lived. They have a great team that
      jumps on problems quickly.
      I personally do not feel they have lots of issues, we as a group are
      just very good at pointing out any issues we see, so that WU can
      quickly resolve them. WU does monitor this group as they know we
      provide accurate feedback for them.
      As for any weatherCam issues, you can report issues through
      support@... That will go directly to the weathercam
      developer.
      Spoeaking of WeatherCams have you seen th eimprovements made recently,
      have you seen how many cams are uploading.
      Amazing.

      Alan Steremberg
      Weather Underground
      415-543-5022 x 103
      http://www.wunderground.com
    • RS Moreland
      Message 2 of 18 , May 30, 2007
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ke5egi@...> wrote:

        > I've been reading all the posts lately about some problems people are
        > having with WU and now I need to ask, has anyone been having problems
        > with the WU webcams?
        > I've been using Fwink and everything had been working great. It would
        > upload to WU every minute and WU would show this on their webcam
        > directory. But now it seems like WU is not showing the newest refresh
        > picture even though my Fwink is showing it uploaded to WU.
        > Any ideas?

        Hi,

        I have been trying out webcam software for a while now, 7 different
        ones' so far.

        I've tried Fwink again today and noted the following;
        no log to track uploads so just shows the last one.

        Seems to use the same file name each time it uploads, in the schedule
        mode so it replaces the previous one so only one is there. I found
        that when you manually send send the program assigns a different
        number so WU keeps them.

        Hope this helps. Hope I find one that does what I want.

        Regards, Bob
      • Alan Steremberg
        Message 3 of 18 , May 30, 2007
          We have a bug in how we are handling some of the webcam software. The fix probably won't go in for a few weeks.

          Any webcam software that is 'smart' enough to upload the file as a temp name, then rename it.. or delete the old one and rename it, fails since we don't support delete or rename. We need to make these operations just succeed and do nothing.  The other problem is that we noticed some webcam software uploads the files as image.jpg.tmp and we weren't supporting files ending in .tmp, so we are fixing that as well.

          Alan

          --
          Alan Steremberg
          Weather Underground
          Message 4 of 18 , May 30, 2007
            Hi,

            We fixed the upload software so it ignores rename and delete. Now any webcam software should work without modifications (hopefully!).

            I am going to try it tonight from my panasonic webcam that was complaining about rename errors.

            Let me know if this helps.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 31, 2007
              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
              <alans@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > We fixed the upload software so it ignores rename and delete. Now
              any webcam
              > software should work without modifications (hopefully!).
              >
              > I am going to try it tonight from my panasonic webcam that was
              complaining
              > about rename errors.
              >
              > Let me know if this helps.
              >
              > Alan
              >
              > On 5/30/07, RS Moreland <bobmoreland@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
              40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "David" <ke5egi@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I've been reading all the posts lately about some problems
              people are
              > > > having with WU and now I need to ask, has anyone been having
              problems
              > > > with the WU webcams?
              > > > I've been using Fwink and everything had been working great. It
              would
              > > > upload to WU every minute and WU would show this on their webcam
              > > > directory. But now it seems like WU is not showing the newest
              refresh
              > > > picture even though my Fwink is showing it uploaded to WU.
              > > > Any ideas?
              > > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I have been trying out webcam software for a while now, 7
              different
              > > ones' so far.
              > >
              > > I've tried Fwink again today and noted the following;
              > > no log to track uploads so just shows the last one.
              > >
              > > Seems to use the same file name each time it uploads, in the
              schedule
              > > mode so it replaces the previous one so only one is there. I found
              > > that when you manually send send the program assigns a different
              > > number so WU keeps them.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps. Hope I find one that does what I want.
              > >
              > > Regards, Bob
              > >

              > --
              > Alan Steremberg
              > Weather Underground
              > 415-543-5022 x 103
              > http://www.wunderground.com

              Hi,

              Still using Fwink this am. Only one picture appears on site where I
              think there should be four.

              Bob
            • Jaye Ellen
              Message 6 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                Hi ---
                I noticed a string of errors that occurred yesterday evening.  The only thing I had done was to download and install the latest WUHU 215 program.  Is there any relationship between the two activities?

                Concerned,

                Jaye Ellen KTNGOODL6

                Message 7 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                    Jaye Ellen,
                    It appears that your errors all occured in a 2 minute +/- time
                    frame. If that was the only errors you received, then I would not be
                    concerned at all.
                    Are the errors still occuring?

                    Steve

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jaye Ellen"
                    <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  • Jaye Ellen
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                      No Steve, but I get strange errors at odd times.  I was just concerned that the errors were related to the software upgrade I had just done.  I had just started using a new wireless router too, so it might be related as well.

                      Thanks,

                      Jaye Ellen

                      <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

> [...]

                    • schaka1
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                        First, let me say I've been monitoring the messages on the webcam
                        upload issue hoping for answer. I'm also experiencing intermittent
                        upload issues.

                        It's hard to pinpoint what's happening but it appears that the upload
                        times out. I will go on for several hours uploading when I noticed
                        that the picture on the Wundeground web site is not updating. If I
                        restart the application, I'm using Where's James Beta, the problem
                        goes away but returns. The previous version of Where's James had the
                        same issues so I'm fairly certain it's not an application issue on my end.

                        The FTP log on my end shows no errors. I'm just trying to add more
                        info for the troubleshooting you guys are doing! Here's the last entry
                        on my FTP log:
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd ----------
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-You are user number 16 of 200 allowed.
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-Local time is now 19:26. Server port: 21.
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-This is a private system - No
                        anonymous login
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-RATIOS ARE ENABLED FOR EVERYONE:
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-to download 1 Mb, uploading 10000 Mb
                        of goodies is mandatory.
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220 You will be disconnected after 60
                        seconds of inactivity.
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: USER schakaCAM1
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 331 User schakaCAM1 OK. Password required
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: PASS <<i deleted my PW>>
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 230-User schakaCAM1 has group access to:
                        1000
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 230-You must respect a 10000:1 (UL/DL) ratio
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: MKD web
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 550 Can't create directory: File exists
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: CWD web
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 250 OK. Current directory is /web
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: DELE tmp_webcam.jpg
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 S OK
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: TYPE I
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: PASV
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 227 Entering Passive Mode
                        (64,243,175,106,217,136)
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: STOR tmp_webcam.jpg
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 150 Accepted data connection
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 226-File successfully transferred
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 226 5.155 seconds (measured here), 28.82
                        Kbytes per second
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: DELE webcam.jpg
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 S OK
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: RNFR tmp_webcam.jpg
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 S OK
                        Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: RNTO webcam.jpg
                        Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 S OK

                        I hope this helps!

                        Chuck

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                          Jayne Ellen,
                          I would not be real concerned over some errors now and then.
                          Like you mentioned it could be the new router or just an ISP issue.
                          I would look to see if there is any pattern to the errors.
                          Again, errors for just a minute or two like you had, will have no
                          real effect on your WU data.
                          I would tend to doubt it had anything to do with the upload of the
                          latest WUHU software version.

                          <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

                          > No Steve, but I get strange errors at odd times. I was just
                          concerned that
                          > the errors were related to the software upgrade I had just done.
                          I had just
                          > started using a new wireless router too, so it might be related as
                          well.

                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Jaye Ellen
                          >

                          > On 5/31/07, steve_03222 <steve_03222@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Jaye Ellen,
                          > > It appears that your errors all occured in a 2 minute +/- time
                          > > frame. If that was the only errors you received, then I would
                          not be
                          > > concerned at all.
                          > > Are the errors still occuring?
                          > >
                          > > Steve
                          > >
                          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                          40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > > "Jaye Ellen"

                        • Jaye Ellen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                            Hello again Steve,
                            Got a whole lot of whatevers today:
                            Fri Jun 01 03:30:10 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 03:30:32 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                            Fri Jun 01 04:40:02 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 04:40:02 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                            Fri Jun 01 04:40:19 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 04:40:37 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 04:40:54 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 04:41:10 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:53:37 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:53:37 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:53:40 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:54:02 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:54:02 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:54:11 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:55:36 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:55:36 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:55:49 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:56:34 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:56:34 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:56:42 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:57:16 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:57:16 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:57:27 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:57:48 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:57:48 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:58:07 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 14:58:11 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                            Fri Jun 01 15:00:17 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                            Fri Jun 01 15:00:17 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                            Fri Jun 01 15:00:24 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.

                            Why is this happening with such regularity?  I'm very frustrated ... LaCrosse WS3610 running wireless.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 2, 2007
                              Jaye Ellen,

                              Your Weather Underground errors appear to be an Internet only issue.

                              Did you say that you recently added a router?

                              If so, were you have problems before the router?

                              Any other changes to the machine such as software firewalls or the
                              like?

                              Is any anti-virus or backup sofware running on the machine during the
                              times when the errors are generated?

                              It may be that there is some connectivity problem between your ISP
                              and Weather Underground as well. Since the errors are infrequent, it
                              is difficult to tell where the problem is.

                              As Steve had mentioned, since you are uploading many data packets
                              each day, the loss of even 100 data packets is not significant.

                              Since the errors are more or less a nuisance only, you can click the
                              checkbox in the log screen to disable the flashing tray icon and log
                              button.

                              <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > Like you mentioned it could be the new router or just an ISP
                              issue.
                              > > I would look to see if there is any pattern to the errors.
                              > > Again, errors for just a minute or two like you had, will have no
                              > > real effect on your WU data.
                              > > I would tend to doubt it had anything to do with the upload of the
                              > > latest WUHU software version.
                              > >
                              > > Steve
                              > >
                              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                              40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > > "Jaye Ellen"
                              > > <jaye.ellen@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > No Steve, but I get strange errors at odd times. I was just
                              > > concerned that
                              > > > the errors were related to the software upgrade I had just done.
                              > > I had just
                              > > > started using a new wireless router too, so it might be related

                            • Jaye Ellen
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 2, 2007
                                thank you, all
                                Jaye Ellen