WU

  • David
    Message 1 of 18 , May 30, 2007
      I've been reading all the posts lately about some problems people are
      having with WU and now I need to ask, has anyone been having problems
      with the WU webcams?
      I've been using Fwink and everything had been working great. It would
      upload to WU every minute and WU would show this on their webcam
      directory. But now it seems like WU is not showing the newest refresh
      picture even though my Fwink is showing it uploaded to WU.
      Any ideas?
    • Mark Wyman
      Message 2 of 18 , May 30, 2007

        The Weather channel has secretly hired a group of Chinese hackers to give WU a DOS attack as punishment for “stealing” their viewers.

        Just kidding. It is probably troubles with routers and other network infrastructure.

        -Mark

        I've been reading all the posts lately about some problems people are
        having with WU and now I need to ask, has anyone been having problems
        with the WU webcams?
        I've been using Fwink and everything had been working great. It would
        upload to WU every minute and WU would show this on their webcam
        directory. But now it seems like WU is not showing the newest refresh
        picture even though my Fwink is showing it uploaded to WU.
        Any ideas?

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Message 3 of 18 , May 30, 2007
          David,
          Usually WU issues are very short lived. They have a great team that
          jumps on problems quickly.
          I personally do not feel they have lots of issues, we as a group are
          just very good at pointing out any issues we see, so that WU can
          quickly resolve them. WU does monitor this group as they know we
          provide accurate feedback for them.
          As for any weatherCam issues, you can report issues through
          support@... That will go directly to the weathercam
          developer.
          Spoeaking of WeatherCams have you seen th eimprovements made recently,
          have you seen how many cams are uploading.
          Amazing.

          Message 4 of 18 , May 30, 2007
            Just took a look at the index page and 92 this morning.

            Steve
          • Alan Steremberg
            Message 5 of 18 , May 30, 2007
              Hi,

              I am not sure what the problem is.  I would love to blame it on Chinese Weather Channel hackers. Sounds perfect!

              Most likely we are just having trouble keeping up with the cams, we didn't expect it to grow this quickly.  We were planning for 10,000 cams but not in the first weekend :-)

              Alan

              On 5/30/07, steve_03222 <steve_03222@...> wrote:

              David,
              Usually WU issues are very short lived. They have a great team that
              jumps on problems quickly.
              I personally do not feel they have lots of issues, we as a group are
              just very good at pointing out any issues we see, so that WU can
              quickly resolve them. WU does monitor this group as they know we
              provide accurate feedback for them.
              As for any weatherCam issues, you can report issues through
              support@... That will go directly to the weathercam
              developer.
              Spoeaking of WeatherCams have you seen th eimprovements made recently,
              have you seen how many cams are uploading.
              Amazing.

              Alan Steremberg
              Weather Underground
              415-543-5022 x 103
              http://www.wunderground.com
            • RS Moreland
              Message 6 of 18 , May 30, 2007
                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ke5egi@...> wrote:

                > I've been reading all the posts lately about some problems people are
                > having with WU and now I need to ask, has anyone been having problems
                > with the WU webcams?
                > I've been using Fwink and everything had been working great. It would
                > upload to WU every minute and WU would show this on their webcam
                > directory. But now it seems like WU is not showing the newest refresh
                > picture even though my Fwink is showing it uploaded to WU.
                > Any ideas?

                Hi,

                I have been trying out webcam software for a while now, 7 different
                ones' so far.

                I've tried Fwink again today and noted the following;
                no log to track uploads so just shows the last one.

                Seems to use the same file name each time it uploads, in the schedule
                mode so it replaces the previous one so only one is there. I found
                that when you manually send send the program assigns a different
                number so WU keeps them.

                Hope this helps. Hope I find one that does what I want.

                Regards, Bob
              • Alan Steremberg
                Message 7 of 18 , May 30, 2007
                  We have a bug in how we are handling some of the webcam software. The fix probably won't go in for a few weeks.

                  Any webcam software that is 'smart' enough to upload the file as a temp name, then rename it.. or delete the old one and rename it, fails since we don't support delete or rename. We need to make these operations just succeed and do nothing.  The other problem is that we noticed some webcam software uploads the files as image.jpg.tmp and we weren't supporting files ending in .tmp, so we are fixing that as well.

                  Alan

                  --
                  Alan Steremberg
                  Weather Underground
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 30, 2007
                    Hi,

                    We fixed the upload software so it ignores rename and delete. Now any webcam software should work without modifications (hopefully!).

                    I am going to try it tonight from my panasonic webcam that was complaining about rename errors.

                    Let me know if this helps.

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
                      <alans@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > We fixed the upload software so it ignores rename and delete. Now
                      any webcam
                      > software should work without modifications (hopefully!).
                      >
                      > I am going to try it tonight from my panasonic webcam that was
                      complaining
                      > about rename errors.
                      >
                      > Let me know if this helps.
                      >
                      > Alan
                      >
                      > On 5/30/07, RS Moreland <bobmoreland@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                      40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > "David" <ke5egi@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I've been reading all the posts lately about some problems
                      people are
                      > > > having with WU and now I need to ask, has anyone been having
                      problems
                      > > > with the WU webcams?
                      > > > I've been using Fwink and everything had been working great. It
                      would
                      > > > upload to WU every minute and WU would show this on their webcam
                      > > > directory. But now it seems like WU is not showing the newest
                      refresh
                      > > > picture even though my Fwink is showing it uploaded to WU.
                      > > > Any ideas?
                      > > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > I have been trying out webcam software for a while now, 7
                      different
                      > > ones' so far.
                      > >
                      > > I've tried Fwink again today and noted the following;
                      > > no log to track uploads so just shows the last one.
                      > >
                      > > Seems to use the same file name each time it uploads, in the
                      schedule
                      > > mode so it replaces the previous one so only one is there. I found
                      > > that when you manually send send the program assigns a different
                      > > number so WU keeps them.
                      > >
                      > > Hope this helps. Hope I find one that does what I want.
                      > >
                      > > Regards, Bob
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Alan Steremberg
                      > Weather Underground
                      > 415-543-5022 x 103
                      > http://www.wunderground.com

                      Hi,

                      Still using Fwink this am. Only one picture appears on site where I
                      think there should be four.

                      Bob
                    • Jaye Ellen
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                        Hi ---
                        I noticed a string of errors that occurred yesterday evening.  The only thing I had done was to download and install the latest WUHU 215 program.  Is there any relationship between the two activities?

                        Concerned,

                        Jaye Ellen KTNGOODL6

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                            Jaye Ellen,
                            It appears that your errors all occured in a 2 minute +/- time
                            frame. If that was the only errors you received, then I would not be
                            concerned at all.
                            Are the errors still occuring?

                            Steve

                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jaye Ellen"
                            <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          • Jaye Ellen
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                              No Steve, but I get strange errors at odd times.  I was just concerned that the errors were related to the software upgrade I had just done.  I had just started using a new wireless router too, so it might be related as well.

                              Thanks,

                              Jaye Ellen

                              <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

> [...]

                            • schaka1
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                                First, let me say I've been monitoring the messages on the webcam
                                upload issue hoping for answer. I'm also experiencing intermittent
                                upload issues.

                                It's hard to pinpoint what's happening but it appears that the upload
                                times out. I will go on for several hours uploading when I noticed
                                that the picture on the Wundeground web site is not updating. If I
                                restart the application, I'm using Where's James Beta, the problem
                                goes away but returns. The previous version of Where's James had the
                                same issues so I'm fairly certain it's not an application issue on my end.

                                The FTP log on my end shows no errors. I'm just trying to add more
                                info for the troubleshooting you guys are doing! Here's the last entry
                                on my FTP log:
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd ----------
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-You are user number 16 of 200 allowed.
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-Local time is now 19:26. Server port: 21.
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-This is a private system - No
                                anonymous login
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-RATIOS ARE ENABLED FOR EVERYONE:
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220-to download 1 Mb, uploading 10000 Mb
                                of goodies is mandatory.
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 220 You will be disconnected after 60
                                seconds of inactivity.
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: USER schakaCAM1
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 331 User schakaCAM1 OK. Password required
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: PASS <<i deleted my PW>>
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 230-User schakaCAM1 has group access to:
                                1000
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 230-You must respect a 10000:1 (UL/DL) ratio
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: MKD web
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 550 Can't create directory: File exists
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: CWD web
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 250 OK. Current directory is /web
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: DELE tmp_webcam.jpg
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 S OK
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: TYPE I
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: PASV
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 227 Entering Passive Mode
                                (64,243,175,106,217,136)
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: STOR tmp_webcam.jpg
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 150 Accepted data connection
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 226-File successfully transferred
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 226 5.155 seconds (measured here), 28.82
                                Kbytes per second
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: DELE webcam.jpg
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 S OK
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: RNFR tmp_webcam.jpg
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 S OK
                                Tx: webcam.wunderground.com: RNTO webcam.jpg
                                Rx: webcam.wunderground.com: 200 S OK

                                I hope this helps!

                                Chuck

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                                  Jayne Ellen,
                                  I would not be real concerned over some errors now and then.
                                  Like you mentioned it could be the new router or just an ISP issue.
                                  I would look to see if there is any pattern to the errors.
                                  Again, errors for just a minute or two like you had, will have no
                                  real effect on your WU data.
                                  I would tend to doubt it had anything to do with the upload of the
                                  latest WUHU software version.

                                  <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

                                  > No Steve, but I get strange errors at odd times. I was just
                                  concerned that
                                  > the errors were related to the software upgrade I had just done.
                                  I had just
                                  > started using a new wireless router too, so it might be related as
                                  well.

                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Jaye Ellen
                                  >

                                  > On 5/31/07, steve_03222 <steve_03222@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Jaye Ellen,
                                  > > It appears that your errors all occured in a 2 minute +/- time
                                  > > frame. If that was the only errors you received, then I would
                                  not be
                                  > > concerned at all.
                                  > > Are the errors still occuring?
                                  > >
                                  > > Steve
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                                  40yahoogroups.com>,
                                  > > "Jaye Ellen"

                                • Jaye Ellen
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                                    Hello again Steve,
                                    Got a whole lot of whatevers today:
                                    Fri Jun 01 03:30:10 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 03:30:32 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 04:40:02 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 04:40:02 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 04:40:19 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 04:40:37 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 04:40:54 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 04:41:10 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:53:37 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:53:37 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:53:40 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:54:02 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:54:02 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:54:11 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:55:36 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:55:36 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:55:49 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:56:34 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:56:34 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:56:42 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:57:16 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:57:16 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:57:27 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:57:48 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:57:48 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:58:07 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 14:58:11 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 15:00:17 2007 > Weather Underground Upload has Failed.
                                    Fri Jun 01 15:00:17 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been activated.
                                    Fri Jun 01 15:00:24 2007 > Alarm Weather Underground Upload Failure has been deactivated.

                                    Why is this happening with such regularity?  I'm very frustrated ... LaCrosse WS3610 running wireless.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 2, 2007
                                      Jaye Ellen,

                                      Your Weather Underground errors appear to be an Internet only issue.

                                      Did you say that you recently added a router?

                                      If so, were you have problems before the router?

                                      Any other changes to the machine such as software firewalls or the
                                      like?

                                      Is any anti-virus or backup sofware running on the machine during the
                                      times when the errors are generated?

                                      It may be that there is some connectivity problem between your ISP
                                      and Weather Underground as well. Since the errors are infrequent, it
                                      is difficult to tell where the problem is.

                                      As Steve had mentioned, since you are uploading many data packets
                                      each day, the loss of even 100 data packets is not significant.

                                      Since the errors are more or less a nuisance only, you can click the
                                      checkbox in the log screen to disable the flashing tray icon and log
                                      button.

                                      <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      > > Like you mentioned it could be the new router or just an ISP
                                      issue.
                                      > > I would look to see if there is any pattern to the errors.
                                      > > Again, errors for just a minute or two like you had, will have no
                                      > > real effect on your WU data.
                                      > > I would tend to doubt it had anything to do with the upload of the
                                      > > latest WUHU software version.
                                      > >
                                      > > Steve
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                                      40yahoogroups.com>,
                                      > > "Jaye Ellen"
                                      > > <jaye.ellen@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > No Steve, but I get strange errors at odd times. I was just
                                      > > concerned that
                                      > > > the errors were related to the software upgrade I had just done.
                                      > > I had just
                                      > > > started using a new wireless router too, so it might be related

                                    • Jaye Ellen
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 2, 2007
                                        thank you, all
                                        Jaye Ellen