Weather station down....

  • Karl Kingston
    Message 1 of 9 , May 23, 2007
      OK this one has me stumped here.

      For the longest time, my station was working nicely. Thermo unit is on
      the north side of my shed, about 50-60 feet from the console. And running
      wirelessly, this worked well.

      Now, the unit doesn't seem to want to communicate with the console. It
      was coming in and out sporadically the last couple days. Was wondering if
      the batteries were about to go.

      Replaced the console's batteries with some rechargables (all I had).
      Seemed to work but still sporadically. I've even taken the console
      outside with a phone cable and attempted an direct connection but that
      didn't work so well.

      Original batteries tested good according to a multimeter. So I put them
      back in (the rechargables are for my wife's camera so she didn't want me
      keeping them). I've pretty much been dead all night.

      Even hit the + key on the console to try and reclaim but no dice.

      Any ideas? Could the Thermo unit have gone south? This unit is about 2
      years old. WS-2310TWC.

      I wonder if maybe I had an EMF hit from a nearby thunderstorm or
      something??

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 9 , May 23, 2007
        Karl,

        I have had a situation where the console would not recognize the
        remote thermo even if you press and hold the + for two beeps.

        Sometimes you have to yank the batteries in both the remote thermo
        and the console and put them back in order (cant remember if you add
        the batteries to remote thermo first? - See manual).

        Let us know if you figure it out.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kingston
        <kkingsto@...> wrote:

        > OK this one has me stumped here.
        >
        > For the longest time, my station was working nicely. Thermo unit
        is on
        > the north side of my shed, about 50-60 feet from the console. And
        running
        > wirelessly, this worked well.
        >
        > Now, the unit doesn't seem to want to communicate with the
        console. It
        > was coming in and out sporadically the last couple days. Was
        wondering if
        > the batteries were about to go.
        >
        > Replaced the console's batteries with some rechargables (all I
        had).
        > Seemed to work but still sporadically. I've even taken the console
        > outside with a phone cable and attempted an direct connection but
        that
        > didn't work so well.
        >
        > Original batteries tested good according to a multimeter. So I put
        them
        > back in (the rechargables are for my wife's camera so she didn't
        want me
        > keeping them). I've pretty much been dead all night.
        >
        > Even hit the + key on the console to try and reclaim but no dice.
        >
        > Any ideas? Could the Thermo unit have gone south? This unit is
        about 2
        > years old. WS-2310TWC.
        >
        > I wonder if maybe I had an EMF hit from a nearby thunderstorm or
        > something??
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Karl Kingston
        Message 3 of 9 , May 23, 2007
          On Wed, 23 May 2007, wuhu_software wrote:

          > Karl,
          >
          > I have had a situation where the console would not recognize the
          > remote thermo even if you press and hold the + for two beeps.

          OK sounds like what my situation is.

          > Sometimes you have to yank the batteries in both the remote thermo
          > and the console and put them back in order (cant remember if you add
          > the batteries to remote thermo first? - See manual).

          Just took the batteries out of the console and reinserted. When I
          checked a little later, I was communicating.

          Of course, the console says it's 100 when the surrounding area is only 80
          something! That's not right!

          Has anybody have any experience with the Oregon WMR-968??

          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2007
            Karl,
            Someone on this list has a WMR968.
            I helped set up one up for the school down the street.

            It seems to be an OK unit.

            Has it's drawbacks, but is all wireless with solar panels to power
            each sensor.

            Rain gauge resolution is .04 I think.
            I don't remember for sure, but I think the wind speed updates are a
            bit slower than the 2310.

            Has been running at the school for a few Months no big problems to
            make note of.

            Has same solar readiation issues as 2310, if you use the sensor
            without a radiation shield.

            Only thing I have an issue with is the Dew Point/Humidity readings.
            They are reading extremely low, consistantly. I am going to see if I
            can get a new sensor for them, perhaps it is just defective.

            Steve
          • Karl Kingston
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
              On Wed, 23 May 2007, wuhu_software wrote:

              > Karl,
              >
              > I have had a situation where the console would not recognize the
              > remote thermo even if you press and hold the + for two beeps.

              OK. I replaced the batteries in the remote sensor with EverReady
              batteries and seemed to work ok for a couple days.

              Still conks out every now and then.

              Beginning to wonder if maybe the distance is just a little too much. What
              I'm planning on doing is this:

              Get several feet of 3/4" PVC pipe with connectors and elbows. Get some
              long extension phone cords. Dig a trench from my shed where the station
              is attached to my deck. Run the lines from the sensors in the PVC pipe
              Bury the PVC pipe and put the turf back over. The remote thermo unit will
              be closer to the deck (and hopefully will be able to stay locked).

              Any flaws with this? Is there a limit to how far I can go?

              If this is not going to work the Oregon Scientific devices look like they
              may do the job over the LaCrosse.

              > Sometimes you have to yank the batteries in both the remote thermo
              > and the console and put them back in order (cant remember if you add
              > the batteries to remote thermo first? - See manual).
              >
              > Let us know if you figure it out.
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kingston
              > <kkingsto@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> OK this one has me stumped here.
              >>
              >> For the longest time, my station was working nicely. Thermo unit
              > is on
              >> the north side of my shed, about 50-60 feet from the console. And
              > running
              >> wirelessly, this worked well.
              >>
              >> Now, the unit doesn't seem to want to communicate with the
              > console. It
              >> was coming in and out sporadically the last couple days. Was
              > wondering if
              >> the batteries were about to go.
              >>
              >> Replaced the console's batteries with some rechargables (all I
              > had).
              >> Seemed to work but still sporadically. I've even taken the console
              >> outside with a phone cable and attempted an direct connection but
              > that
              >> didn't work so well.
              >>
              >> Original batteries tested good according to a multimeter. So I put
              > them
              >> back in (the rechargables are for my wife's camera so she didn't
              > want me
              >> keeping them). I've pretty much been dead all night.
              >>
              >> Even hit the + key on the console to try and reclaim but no dice.
              >>
              >> Any ideas? Could the Thermo unit have gone south? This unit is
              > about 2
              >> years old. WS-2310TWC.
              >>
              >> I wonder if maybe I had an EMF hit from a nearby thunderstorm or
              >> something??
              >>
              >> Thanks!

            • Rich Brunnworth
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
                IMHO... Do NOT use phone cord. Use cat5E (shielded) cable.

                BTW.... for any wireless operation the max distance stated by the
                manufacturer is under the most ideal conditions. I usually take their
                statements with a huge grain of salt.

                Rich
                This email scanned with AVG antivirus program

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
                  On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Rich Brunnworth wrote:

                  > IMHO... Do NOT use phone cord. Use cat5E (shielded) cable.

                  OK. Is there any limitation to the distance from the sensors to the
                  thermo unit? Happen to have some CAT5E cable in the garage--just need to
                  get some ends and build some cables.

                  > BTW.... for any wireless operation the max distance stated by the
                  > manufacturer is under the most ideal conditions. I usually take their
                  > statements with a huge grain of salt.

                  That's the funny part. For the most part, where the thermo and console
                  were located, I was getting very good results throughout the winter. Now
                  that summer is here, I'm having issues--console loses connection to the
                  thermo unit (happens more frequently).

                  > Rich
                  > This email scanned with AVG antivirus program
                  >
                  > Karl Kingston wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Beginning to wonder if maybe the distance is just a little too much. What
                  >> I'm planning on doing is this:
                  >>
                  >> Get several feet of 3/4" PVC pipe with connectors and elbows. Get some
                  >> long extension phone cords. Dig a trench from my shed where the station
                  >> is attached to my deck. Run the lines from the sensors in the PVC pipe
                  >> Bury the PVC pipe and put the turf back over. The remote thermo unit will
                  >> be closer to the deck (and hopefully will be able to stay locked).
                  >>
                  >> Any flaws with this? Is there a limit to how far I can go?

                • tfa3177
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                    <kkingsto@...> wrote:

                    > On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Rich Brunnworth wrote:
                    >
                    > > IMHO... Do NOT use phone cord. Use cat5E (shielded) cable.
                    >
                    > OK. Is there any limitation to the distance from the sensors to the
                    > thermo unit? Happen to have some CAT5E cable in the garage--just
                    need to
                    > get some ends and build some cables.

                    Just make sure your cat5e in fact has some sort of foil or metal
                    shielding around the bunch of inner wires. I made the mistake of
                    buying some off-brand that said it was shielded, and the "shielding"
                    happened to be the plastic itself! Sheesh.

                    I've got 75ft of cat5e STP (aluminum foil-shielded) coming in this
                    week to replace the cat5 I converted my anemometer to a few weeks ago.
                    Hopefully, this will make all the difference.

                    > That's the funny part. For the most part, where the thermo and console
                    > were located, I was getting very good results throughout the winter.
                    Now
                    > that summer is here, I'm having issues--console loses connection to the
                    > thermo unit (happens more frequently).

                    Mine's lost connection for hours at a time since the anemometer
                    conversion; probably in the wiring. I've rewired it several times to
                    mitigate the role of my own wiring process, and it's definitely the
                    wire type rather than soldering incompetence in my case.

                    Once I'm completely up on cat5e STP, things should turn around. Or, at
                    least, I hope they do. It's odd that I've never once had this same
                    issue with the rain gauge, which actually performs very well with the
                    standard telephone line.

                    - Gary
                    - WS3610 Owner
                  • Karl Kingston
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                      On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, tfa3177 wrote:

                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kingston
                      > <kkingsto@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Rich Brunnworth wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> IMHO... Do NOT use phone cord. Use cat5E (shielded) cable.
                      >>
                      >> OK. Is there any limitation to the distance from the sensors to the
                      >> thermo unit? Happen to have some CAT5E cable in the garage--just
                      > need to
                      >> get some ends and build some cables.
                      >
                      > Just make sure your cat5e in fact has some sort of foil or metal
                      > shielding around the bunch of inner wires. I made the mistake of
                      > buying some off-brand that said it was shielded, and the "shielding"
                      > happened to be the plastic itself! Sheesh.

                      I'll check that when I get home. I'm pretty sure the cable (I got this
                      box from Home Depot several years ago) has a foil shield.

                      > I've got 75ft of cat5e STP (aluminum foil-shielded) coming in this
                      > week to replace the cat5 I converted my anemometer to a few weeks ago.
                      > Hopefully, this will make all the difference.
                      >
                      >> That's the funny part. For the most part, where the thermo and console
                      >> were located, I was getting very good results throughout the winter.
                      > Now
                      >> that summer is here, I'm having issues--console loses connection to the
                      >> thermo unit (happens more frequently).
                      >
                      > Mine's lost connection for hours at a time since the anemometer
                      > conversion; probably in the wiring. I've rewired it several times to
                      > mitigate the role of my own wiring process, and it's definitely the
                      > wire type rather than soldering incompetence in my case.

                      My case is I get NOTHING from the thermo unit at all--no rain, no wind, no
                      temps, and no humidity. Going to see if I can move the unit closer to
                      the house and see what happens. Been up since about midnight so far so I
                      wonder if I'm getting interference from something--any way to find out??

                      > Once I'm completely up on cat5e STP, things should turn around. Or, at
                      > least, I hope they do. It's odd that I've never once had this same
                      > issue with the rain gauge, which actually performs very well with the
                      > standard telephone line.

                      Haven't had any problems until a few weeks ago. Just built a solar
                      radiation shield for the thermo unit (and this brought the unit about 3-5
                      feet closer to the house).