New version, 147, direct serial communications code re-write.

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2006
      All,

      I have re-written all of the direct serial communications code.

      This was done for two reasons.

      Firstly, I learned from Kenneth (author of open2300) that I was free
      to use his code to access the serial communications but in doing so,
      I must release my source code as open source so as to not violate the
      GNU license agreement.

      I chose not to release WUHU as open source because I am concerned
      that other versions of WUHU would start popping up on the Internet,
      leading to confusion (I have enough to deal with already!).

      Secondly, I re-wrote the code is so that I had complete control and
      understanding of the underlying protocol.

      One of the advantages of learning about the protocol is that I have
      found a method to communicate with the station only when it is not
      busy attempting to collect sensor data.

      In wired mode this has lead to a dramatic improvement of the update
      times as well as other potential beneficial side effects. Why
      Heavyweather is not doing this as well, I have no idea?!?!

      On a side note, during my work I have also discovered that
      Heavyweather is violating it's own protocol! To make a long story
      short, it is sending multiple commands in a row without waiting for a
      response from the unit. This leads to un-necessary confusing and re-
      synchronization!

      If any La Crosse support people are in the group, why don't you
      suggest letting someone else take over maintaining Heavyweather!?!?

      For those of you who operate in wireless mode, I am not sure there
      will be a benefit to using direct serial communications.

      In order for WUHU to co-ordinate with the WS, I need to know how long
      the little radio icon (near the temperature reading) stays on for. In
      wired mode, it is about 2 seconds. If anyone could pass along that
      info, I would appreciate it. I would try it myself except the last
      time I messed with the console, I had to yank the batteries on the
      unit outside. Since it is in a radiation shield, it is not a 10
      second operation.

      As always, the latest version (v147) of the code is available at:

      http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/