RE: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Temperature ws-3600

  • stevech
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
      You say "the base station itself reads those temps"

      If this means that the LCD displays the 100+ degree reading for the indoor
      temperature, then it's busted hardware for sure. Off to repair she goes.
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
        Steve,

        Although I would lean toward that as well... I am not convinced of it
        yet. It has been my experience that when a thermocouple fails, it
        will not work sometimes and not at others.

        I guess that is the question, how frequently do the errors occur?

        It could be external noise generated by something nearby (cell phones
        created a tremendous amount of noise) or perhaps some type of ground-
        feedback issue. It could be even noise between the PC and the unit
        that is affecting the WS.

        I have been looking in to a noise issue on the WS2310, it may also
        apply to the other stations. This noise could corrupt not only
        external sensor data but external ones as well.

        I am looking for anyone with an oscilliscope and some free time to
        verify my findings.

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@...>

      • stevech@san.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

          My 3600 sits a 3 ft. from cordless phones, where I use my cell phone, PC. Never had glitch in temperature readings. There are problems with noise on the unshielded phone-cord-type wire from the outdoor temperature sensor to the anemometer, and perhaps on the optional hardwired-option for the PC connection. These seem to glitch windspeed data most often. Some have cured this by rewiring to use shielded cable.

          > Although I would lean toward that as well... I am not convinced of
          > it
          > yet. It has been my experience that when a thermocouple fails, it
          > will not work sometimes and not at others.
          >
          > I guess that is the question, how frequently do the errors occur?
          >
          > It could be external noise generated by something nearby (cell
          > phones
          > created a tremendous amount of noise) or perhaps some type of
          > ground-
          > feedback issue. It could be even noise between the PC and the unit
          > that is affecting the WS.
          >
          > I have been looking in to a noise issue on the WS2310, it may also
          > apply to the other stations. This noise could corrupt not only
          > external sensor data but external ones as well.
          >
          > I am looking for anyone with an oscilliscope and some free time to
          > verify my findings.
          >
          > Thanks. >
        • Willie Wharton
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
            Thanks for all the input. Yes, the 100+ reading is on the LCD base station. I took the base station by itself and stuck it in my freezer on battery power. The temp fell to +25 over the true temp. When I took it out and let it warm up to the ambient room temp it still was +25. I did all of this in my garage with most AC power off. Although, the thermocouple is the key suspect, the unit was not dropped and had been working fine (except for all the other epistemic problems). I probably just need to send it in under warrenty. Any input on warrenty claim success/failure.

            Thanks,
            Willie

          • stevech@san.rr.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

              I sent mine back because the LCD contrast is so poor as to be unusable IMO.

              They returned it: no trouble found (not surprisingly).

              > Thanks for all the input. Yes, the 100+ reading is on the LCD base
              > station. I took the base station by itself and stuck it in my
              > freezer on
              > battery power. The temp fell to +25 over the true temp. When I
              > took it
              > out and let it warm up to the ambient room temp it still was +25.
              > I did
              > all of this in my garage with most AC power off. Although, the
              > thermocouple is the key suspect, the unit was not dropped and had
              > been
              > working fine (except for all the other epistemic problems). I
              > probably
              > just need to send it in under warrenty. Any input on warrenty
              > claim
              > success/failure.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Willie
              >
              > wuhu_software wrote:
              >

              > > Steve,
              > >
              > > Although I would lean toward that as well... I am not convinced
              > of it
              > > yet. It has been my experience t!
              hat when
            • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

                When I initially set mine up the wind sensor did not register.  Had to send the thermo/hygro unit and wind sensor back.  Wind sensor was fine thermo/hygro unit was defective.  They sent them back and my 2308 has been working pretty well.  Right now we have rain, but because of the frozen precip we are not getting precip readings other than 0.  I am going out with a bit of hot water to thaw the thing out to see what happens.