Re: Newbie to weather stations

  • docphoto52
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2007
      Thanks for that info. Looks like most everything is working after
      entering my station code instead of my user ID. Except the rain
      measurements. That data appears in the HW screen, but not in the
      gauges or at my site when I click on my station code. Also, I turned
      HW off and am running WUHU as "stand alone" now. I take it that is the
      preferred method?

      Greg

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
      <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > You should decide if you want to run Heavyweather Pro as data
      > collector or WUHU. They cannot be talking o the console at the same
      > time (that's why you get the com port conflict)
      >
      > OPT I.
      > You could run WUHU as standalone serial mode(skip HWPro alltogether).
      >
      > OPT II.
      > Or run HWPro and WUHU together. In the latter case WUHU must be
      > pointed to read one of two files created by HWPro
      > a) the currdat.lst (my preffered method before OPT I was developed)
      > b) history.dat
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > regards
      > Audun
      > http://vindkast.com
      > WS-3600 direct serial.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
      > <mfrerkes@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Make sure you are entering your STATION ID for Weather Underground
      > and
      > > not your user ID. That threw me off when I first signed up.
      > >
      > > Your station ID usually begins with the letter "K" followed by the
      > 2-
      > > letter abbreviation for the state where your reside, followed the
      > first
      > > five letters of your city, then finally a 1 or 2 digit number (e.g.
      > > KIABETTE2).
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "docphoto52"
      > > <docphoto52@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello everyone! I'm brand new to weather stations and the group. I
      > > > just purchased a La Crosse 3610 station. I have it set up
      > according to
      > > > guidelines and am receiving good data at the receiver.
      > > > I'm currently trying to get connected and upload my data. I have
      > > > created an account w/Wunderground. After starting HW Pro 1.1, my
      > data
      > > > loads to computer. When starting Weather Underground HW Uploader,
      > I'm
      > > > advised to point HW to another COM port. After starting Uploader,
      > the
      > > > log shows successful open of ComPort 1. Then I get a message that
      > I've
      > > > entered and invalid ID or password and that uploading failed.
      > > > Can anyone help this newbie out? I'm not technologically
      > challenged,
      > > > as I can run my telescopes and astro cameras remotely from my
      > desktop,
      > > > but could use some help getting started here.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Greg

    • Mike Frerkes
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2007
        Glad to hear you are up and running. It took me a whole day to
        figure out that WU wanted my station ID and not my user login name.

        Regarding the issue of Heavyweather; You may find your computer runs
        more efficiently if WUHU utilizes direct serial access. Heavyweather
        is a resource hog, pure and simple. Running both WUHU and
        Heavyweather simultaneously may slow down your computer...especially
        if its old and lacking in RAM. There's really no reason to run HW at
        all, even if you are running HW Publisher to create a website. WUHU
        automatically generates a currdat.lst file that can be used by HW
        Publisher for uploading images.
        <docphoto52@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for that info. Looks like most everything is working after
        > entering my station code instead of my user ID. Except the rain
        > measurements. That data appears in the HW screen, but not in the
        > gauges or at my site when I click on my station code. Also, I turned
        > HW off and am running WUHU as "stand alone" now. I take it that is
        the
        > preferred method?
        >
        > Greg
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
        > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > You should decide if you want to run Heavyweather Pro as data
        > > collector or WUHU. They cannot be talking o the console at the
        same
        > > time (that's why you get the com port conflict)
        > >
        > > OPT I.
        > > You could run WUHU as standalone serial mode(skip HWPro
        alltogether).

        > > OPT II.
        > > Or run HWPro and WUHU together. In the latter case WUHU must be
        > > pointed to read one of two files created by HWPro
        > > a) the currdat.lst (my preffered method before OPT I was
        developed)
        > > b) history.dat
        > >
        > > Hope this helps.
        > >
        > > regards
        > > Audun
        > > http://vindkast.com
        > > WS-3600 direct serial.
        > >

        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
        > > <mfrerkes@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Make sure you are entering your STATION ID for Weather
        Underground
        > > and
        > > > not your user ID. That threw me off when I first signed up.
        > > >
        > > > Your station ID usually begins with the letter "K" followed by
        the
        > > 2-
        > > > letter abbreviation for the state where your reside, followed
        the
        > > first
        > > > five letters of your city, then finally a 1 or 2 digit number
        (e.g.
        > > > KIABETTE2).
        > > >

        > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "docphoto52"

        > > according to
        > > data
        Uploader,
        > > I'm
        Uploader,
        > > the
        > > I've
        > > challenged,
        > > desktop,

      • Michael Detwiler
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2007
          Welcome to the Group, Greg....you'll find everyone to be REALLY helpful.  Don't be afraid to ask any questions.  No question is dumb.  We've all had little issues that have stumped us on an individual basis, but when the group gets a hold of it, the problem is always solved quickly!

          ~Michael

          CWOP-CW6361
          WU-KTNCOOKE10

          Weather Blog:

          Hello everyone! I'm brand new to weather stations and the group. I
          just purchased a La Crosse 3610 station. I have it set up according to
          guidelines and am receiving good data at the receiver.
          I'm currently trying to get connected and upload my data. I have
          created an account w/Wunderground. After starting HW Pro 1.1, my data
          loads to computer. When starting Weather Underground HW Uploader, I'm
          advised to point HW to another COM port. After starting Uploader, the
          log shows successful open of ComPort 1. Then I get a message that I've
          entered and invalid ID or password and that uploading failed.
          Can anyone help this newbie out? I'm not technologically challenged,
          as I can run my telescopes and astro cameras remotely from my desktop,
          but could use some help getting started here.

          Thanks,
          Greg

          Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.