Re: FW: Computer Crash

  • Juha Jäntti
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2007
      Jeffrey,

      You said you tried all 4(!?) COM ports... At least one of them is an
      on-board one. Sounds like you have two (or three) of the serial ports
      on an ISA or PCI expansion card. Normally a motherboard has only one
      or two COM ports.

      As a computer technician, I have seen some occasions where the COM
      port assignments went strange when the operating system was
      reinstalled. Windows decided to reassign the names of all the ports to
      anything that's out of logic, having COM1 and COM2 on an expansion
      card and COM3 on motherboard. You can guess how strange it was when
      the COM-port you once knew as COM1 was suddenly changed to COM3 and so
      on... :-O

      One thing you should do first, is to check what COM port numers are
      actually assigned to your computer. Doing so will save you the trouble
      of going through all the 255 logical COM ports Windows has to offer.

      This is a copy/paste of one of my own instructions (no insult of
      individual intelligence or computer knowledge intended):

      1. Assuming you are using Windows XP, right-click on "My Computer" and
      in the context menu, click on "Manage". A Computer Management Window
      opens up.
      2. Navigate to Device Manager on the left side of the window.
      3. On the right side of the screen, find a tree branch "Ports (COM &
      LPT). Expand the view by clicking on the small '+' sign (if you see a
      '-', Windows has already expanded the view because of a problem or a
      situation where there are disabled devices listed).
      4. Check and write down all the "Communications Port"-named ports
      found there.

      Now that we have resolved what port numbers are assigned to the COM
      ports, lets play "COM Port Lottery" with WUHU.

      1. Plug your weather station's cable to any COM Port you desire.
      2. Exit HeavyWeather 2.0 beta, if running.
      3. Launch and Stop WUHU. Do not exit from it.
      4. In the General Settings-section, check that you have selected
      "WS23XX Direct Serial Access", just for a good measure.
      5. Look at the COM port numbers you wrote down and in WUHU, select one
      of them in WUHU and start the data transmission.
      6. Open the WUHU Log. If you see anything coming up that states the
      port is not opened successfully, Stop the transmission and go back to
      Step 5.
      7. If you are unsuccessful at the first post, don't give up. Just try
      another physical COM port on your computer and play the lottery with
      it again
      8. If/when you are successful, congratulations. Keep it that way until
      you need to reinstall your operating system for any reason. :)

      This is how I got one serial-connected logger unit to function back at
      work. As the weather station is pretty much the same in ways of
      communication, both physically and logically, this may be a solution.

      Good luck. Let's hope this solves the problem.

      Best Regards,
      Juha.
      Weather Station Administrator
      Kannelmaki Weather Center
      Helsinki, Finland
      CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
      http://www.kwcenter.net/

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey C. Le Doux"
      <jefcled@...> wrote:

      > I have had the inevitable. Probably as a result of the crash of my
      ISP two
      > nights ago my computer has crashed. I could not do a recover, and
      have now
      > lost all data and files. I have downloaded the Heavy Weather
      version 2.0
      > beta, twice. My console is working, and I have not changed anything
      with
      > the hardwire. I have downloaded WUHU version 215. My console is not
      > communicating with my computer. I have tried all4 com ports, and
      still do
      > not see any data on the computer. The time is the same on both the
      console
      > and computer. I have a WS-2308. What have I done wrong. I am
      connected to
      > the serial port and the correct connection on the console. I am
      wireless to
      > the thermo-hygro unit and wired to the console from the AC power.
      Can you
      > help? It is probably something simple, and that will make me feel
      like a
      > complete idiot.

    • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2007

        To all who are endeavoring to help.  I have an older HP Pavilion that I connected the serial port to from the console, and it worked.  It seems I have a problem with my newer computer.  I am trying to reload all my software including Heavy Weather 2.0 Beta.  This is taking a while.  In the meantime I am down, and until I have my home network running and all the software reloaded on my computer will remain so.  What a pain.  As to insulting my intelligence, I am still a computer neophyte, so where there is ignorance all that can happen is to learn as I go.  Thanks folks.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 5, 2007
          Jeff,
          Thanks for the update. It sure sounds like some kind of power surge
          took place.
          When you get everything re-installed and if you still have serial port
          problems, you can buy a new serial port for around $20 bucks.
          If you don't want to do that and have USB you can buy a Serial/Usb
          adapter for just under $30.00. The I/O gear works great with the
          Lacrosse units.

          Good luck !! I know what it is like.

          Steve
        • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
          Message 4 of 14 , May 6, 2007

            Steve,

            I have downloaded the Heavy Weather v2.0 Beta, and I keep getting the following message on my newer computer.  Failed to initialize properly err 0xc0000005.  No other information.  I have uninstalled and re-downloaded several times, and I am still getting the same message.  Any ideas?  By the way this is being sent off the computer that is giving me the problem.  The other computer is working, and will soon be back on line.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 6, 2007
              Jeffrey,

              Have you tried going direct to your station using WUHU rather than
              heavyweather? I had nothing but problems with serial port
              communications using heavyweather with my WS-3610 - and it has been
              rock solid since I went direct with WUHU. Even if it does not work
              you have eliminated the software program as the cause of the problems.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 14 , May 6, 2007

                Jeff, did some searching and it seems that the error you mentioned could have something to do with memory. Is it possible that your computer problem is memory related?  Steve

                I cut and paste the article below. I would use it with caution as I do not know the author. It was just interesting because almost all search results pointed to some sort of memory problem.

                ""The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.

                Usually you get this error message when performing a specific task, and if that happens you need to check the corresponding 3rd party's website/support department to see if they are aware of the problem

                ..a while back Symantec Antivirus caused the 0xC0000005 error with an additional message about a file called SAVRT.SYS . A simple software update to the Symantec Antivirus cured the problem.

                ...below are a couple of other suggestions:

                Number One - Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0

                SYMPTOMS:

                Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 stops responding when you try to open an HTML document or a Web page. Additionally, you receive the following error message:

                Access Violation (0xC0000005 exception)

                CAUSE:

                This problem may occur when you use Internet Explorer 6.0 to open an HTML document or a Web page that contains SPAN tags. If a SPAN tag is not closed correctly by using the </SPAN> tag, an access violation may occur.

                The <SPAN> tag is an inline element that renders text by using a style sheet. The tag is typically used to change the style of an element or of a block of text.

                <SPAN> tags are also used to group inline elements in an HTML document. For example, the following HTML document may cause an access violation because the </SPAN> tag is missing.

                RESOLUTION:

                Hotfix information -

                A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Internet Explorer service pack that contains this hotfix.

                To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

                http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

                Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be cancelled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

                Number Two - D.E.P

                In Windows XP Service Pack 2 Microsoft introduced Data execution prevention (DEP), a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help protect against malicious code exploits. In Windows XP SP2, DEP is enforced by both hardware and software.

                Some software/application behaviours are incompatible with DEP - data execution prevention. Applications which perform dynamic code generation (such as Just-In-Time code generation) and that do not explicitly mark generated code with Execute permission might have compatibility issues with data execution prevention. Applications which are not built with SafeSEH must have their exception handlers located in executable memory regions.

                Applications that attempt to violate DEP will receive an exception with status code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005).

                If an application requires executable memory, it must explicitly set this attribute on the appropriate memory by specifying PAGE_EXECUTE, PAGE_EXECUTE_READ, PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE or PAGE_EXECUTE_WRITECOPY in the memory protection argument of the Virtual* memory allocation functions.

                If you are having issues with 0xC0000005 errors in DEP and a particular piece of software is causing the offence, contact the vendor for a resolution...

                Note: It is possible to "Turn Off" DEP in the boot.ini file but this really would be a last step!

                /NOEXECUTE

                This option is only available on 32-bit versions of Windows when running on processors supporting no-execute protection. It enables no-execute protection (also known as Data Execution Protection - DEP), which results in the Memory Manager marking pages containing data as no-execute so that they cannot be executed as code. This can be useful for preventing malicious code from exploiting buffer overflow bugs with unexpected program input in order to execute arbitrary code. No-execute protection is always enabled on 64-bit versions of Windows on processors that support no-execute protection.

                There are several options you can specify with this switch:

                /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN Enables DEP for core system images and those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.

                /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT Enables DEP for all images except those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.

                /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSON Enables DEP on all images.

                /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF Disables DEP. (This setting doesn't provide any DEP coverage for any part of the system, regardless of hardware DEP support. The processor doesn't run in Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode unless the /PAE option is present in the boot.ini file.)

                You can read more about DEP at:

                http://www.updatexp.com/data-execution-prevention.html ""

                wmp

              • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
                Message 7 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                  Steve,
                  I am having a problem loadin Heavy Weather v 2.0 beta.  I get an error #0000005 when I go to run it on the "newer computer.  .  I have deleted it (full uninstall andreloaded it , and still get the error.  Any suggestions?
                  Jeff L.
                  KMEWILTO1
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                    Jeff,
                    Again searching around this could be another indicator of memory
                    issues. If you put the errors you are receiving and do a internet
                    search you may find some help.