FW: Computer Crash

  • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2007

      I have had the inevitable.  Probably as a result of the crash of my ISP two nights ago my computer has crashed.  I could not do a recover, and have now lost all data and files.  I have downloaded the Heavy Weather version 2.0 beta, twice.  My console is working, and I have not changed anything with the hardwire.  I have downloaded WUHU version 215.  My console is not communicating with my computer.  I have tried all4 com ports, and still do not see any data on the computer.  The time is the same on both the console and computer.  I have a WS-2308.  What have I done wrong.  I am connected to the serial port and the correct connection on the console.  I am wireless to the thermo-hygro unit and wired to the console from the AC power.  Can you help?  It is probably something simple, and that will make me feel like a complete idiot.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2007
        Jeffrey,

        Are you using a USB to serial adapter? You may need to re-install the
        drivers if that is the case.

        Go to device manager to verify the proper operation of the serial
        port.

        Goto hardward manager (Right click 'My Computer', click properties,
        click hardware tab, Device Manager button, look inside "Ports (COM &
        LPT)) to determine which serial ports are installed. If you see an
        exclamation point icon next to the port, it is not operating
        correctly.

        Also double check your serial cable at the PC and the console just in
        case there is a bad connection.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey C. Le Doux"
        <jefcled@...> wrote:

        > I have had the inevitable. Probably as a result of the crash of my
        ISP two
        > nights ago my computer has crashed. I could not do a recover, and
        have now
        > lost all data and files. I have downloaded the Heavy Weather
        version 2.0
        > beta, twice. My console is working, and I have not changed
        anything with
        > the hardwire. I have downloaded WUHU version 215. My console is
        not
        > communicating with my computer. I have tried all4 com ports, and
        still do
        > not see any data on the computer. The time is the same on both the
        console
        > and computer. I have a WS-2308. What have I done wrong. I am
        connected to
        > the serial port and the correct connection on the console. I am
        wireless to
        > the thermo-hygro unit and wired to the console from the AC power.
        Can you
        > help? It is probably something simple, and that will make me feel
        like a
        > complete idiot.

      • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2007

          Not using a USB to serial adapter.  It is a serial connection.  In the device manager both the com 1 and LPT ports claim to be operating normally.  No yellow exclamation points.  I have checked both connections (at the console and at the computer) and they seem tight.  The one at the console is a telephone type connection and the one at the computer is a serial type connector.  I have been running this way for a year, and have had no real problems.  I am befuddled.

          Are you using a USB to serial adapter? You may need to re-install the
          drivers if that is the case.

          Go to device manager to verify the proper operation of the serial
          port.

          Goto hardward manager (Right click 'My Computer', click properties,
          click hardware tab, Device Manager button, look inside "Ports (COM &
          LPT)) to determine which serial ports are installed. If you see an
          exclamation point icon next to the port, it is not operating
          correctly.

          Also double check your serial cable at the PC and the console just in
          case there is a bad connection.

          --- In, "Jeffrey C. Le Doux"

          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2007
            Jeff,
            You mentioned that your computer "crashed" probably from an ISP issue.
            That seems strange that an ISP problem would crash your computer.
            Were there any storms in the area? Was it the night that there was the
            front that came through and had some T-storms?
            Do you have anything else that you could try in your serial port.
            The reason I ask is that when my serial port got fried, it did not
            show any errors in the devise drivers, it just stopped communicating
            with the computer.

            You don't need a direct lightning hit to have a problem, The storm and
            lightning could be quite a ways from your location.

            Steve
          • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2007

              No storms in the area night before last.  The ISP went down on Monday night, and I started to have a variety of problems trying to get to things like the control panel, and the situation went downhill from there.  It was almost as if a virus had gotten into the computer.  I am running the new McAfee mvp2007 for virus protection.  Mine was not the only one in the area that had it happen too.  Someone just up the street also lost theirs.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 4, 2007
                On Thu, 3 May 2007, Jeffrey C. Le Doux wrote:

                > No storms in the area night before last. The ISP went down on Monday night,
                > and I started to have a variety of problems trying to get to things like the
                > control panel, and the situation went downhill from there. It was almost as
                > if a virus had gotten into the computer. I am running the new McAfee
                > mvp2007 for virus protection. Mine was not the only one in the area that
                > had it happen too. Someone just up the street also lost theirs.

                Wonder if it could've been due to a power surge or something.

                Just seems to be really weird to have your computer die after your ISP
                went down (are you on DSL or dialup?).

                You also may want to run some spyware checking to be sure.

                > _____

              • Juha Jäntti
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2007
                  Jeffrey,

                  You said you tried all 4(!?) COM ports... At least one of them is an
                  on-board one. Sounds like you have two (or three) of the serial ports
                  on an ISA or PCI expansion card. Normally a motherboard has only one
                  or two COM ports.

                  As a computer technician, I have seen some occasions where the COM
                  port assignments went strange when the operating system was
                  reinstalled. Windows decided to reassign the names of all the ports to
                  anything that's out of logic, having COM1 and COM2 on an expansion
                  card and COM3 on motherboard. You can guess how strange it was when
                  the COM-port you once knew as COM1 was suddenly changed to COM3 and so
                  on... :-O

                  One thing you should do first, is to check what COM port numers are
                  actually assigned to your computer. Doing so will save you the trouble
                  of going through all the 255 logical COM ports Windows has to offer.

                  This is a copy/paste of one of my own instructions (no insult of
                  individual intelligence or computer knowledge intended):

                  1. Assuming you are using Windows XP, right-click on "My Computer" and
                  in the context menu, click on "Manage". A Computer Management Window
                  opens up.
                  2. Navigate to Device Manager on the left side of the window.
                  3. On the right side of the screen, find a tree branch "Ports (COM &
                  LPT). Expand the view by clicking on the small '+' sign (if you see a
                  '-', Windows has already expanded the view because of a problem or a
                  situation where there are disabled devices listed).
                  4. Check and write down all the "Communications Port"-named ports
                  found there.

                  Now that we have resolved what port numbers are assigned to the COM
                  ports, lets play "COM Port Lottery" with WUHU.

                  1. Plug your weather station's cable to any COM Port you desire.
                  2. Exit HeavyWeather 2.0 beta, if running.
                  3. Launch and Stop WUHU. Do not exit from it.
                  4. In the General Settings-section, check that you have selected
                  "WS23XX Direct Serial Access", just for a good measure.
                  5. Look at the COM port numbers you wrote down and in WUHU, select one
                  of them in WUHU and start the data transmission.
                  6. Open the WUHU Log. If you see anything coming up that states the
                  port is not opened successfully, Stop the transmission and go back to
                  Step 5.
                  7. If you are unsuccessful at the first post, don't give up. Just try
                  another physical COM port on your computer and play the lottery with
                  it again
                  8. If/when you are successful, congratulations. Keep it that way until
                  you need to reinstall your operating system for any reason. :)

                  This is how I got one serial-connected logger unit to function back at
                  work. As the weather station is pretty much the same in ways of
                  communication, both physically and logically, this may be a solution.

                  Good luck. Let's hope this solves the problem.

                  Best Regards,
                  Juha.
                  Weather Station Administrator
                  Kannelmaki Weather Center
                  Helsinki, Finland
                  CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
                  http://www.kwcenter.net/

                  <jefcled@...> wrote:

                  > I have had the inevitable. Probably as a result of the crash of my
                  ISP two
                  > nights ago my computer has crashed. I could not do a recover, and
                  have now
                  > lost all data and files. I have downloaded the Heavy Weather
                  version 2.0
                  > beta, twice. My console is working, and I have not changed anything
                  with
                  > the hardwire. I have downloaded WUHU version 215. My console is not
                  > communicating with my computer. I have tried all4 com ports, and
                  still do
                  > not see any data on the computer. The time is the same on both the
                  console
                  > and computer. I have a WS-2308. What have I done wrong. I am
                  connected to
                  > the serial port and the correct connection on the console. I am
                  wireless to
                  > the thermo-hygro unit and wired to the console from the AC power.
                  Can you
                  > help? It is probably something simple, and that will make me feel
                  like a
                  > complete idiot.

                • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2007

                    To all who are endeavoring to help.  I have an older HP Pavilion that I connected the serial port to from the console, and it worked.  It seems I have a problem with my newer computer.  I am trying to reload all my software including Heavy Weather 2.0 Beta.  This is taking a while.  In the meantime I am down, and until I have my home network running and all the software reloaded on my computer will remain so.  What a pain.  As to insulting my intelligence, I am still a computer neophyte, so where there is ignorance all that can happen is to learn as I go.  Thanks folks.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5, 2007
                      Jeff,
                      Thanks for the update. It sure sounds like some kind of power surge
                      took place.
                      When you get everything re-installed and if you still have serial port
                      problems, you can buy a new serial port for around $20 bucks.
                      If you don't want to do that and have USB you can buy a Serial/Usb
                      adapter for just under $30.00. The I/O gear works great with the
                      Lacrosse units.

                      Good luck !! I know what it is like.

                      Steve
                    • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2007

                        Steve,

                        I have downloaded the Heavy Weather v2.0 Beta, and I keep getting the following message on my newer computer.  Failed to initialize properly err 0xc0000005.  No other information.  I have uninstalled and re-downloaded several times, and I am still getting the same message.  Any ideas?  By the way this is being sent off the computer that is giving me the problem.  The other computer is working, and will soon be back on line.

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 6, 2007
                          Jeffrey,

                          Have you tried going direct to your station using WUHU rather than
                          heavyweather? I had nothing but problems with serial port
                          communications using heavyweather with my WS-3610 - and it has been
                          rock solid since I went direct with WUHU. Even if it does not work
                          you have eliminated the software program as the cause of the problems.

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 6, 2007

                            Jeff, did some searching and it seems that the error you mentioned could have something to do with memory. Is it possible that your computer problem is memory related?  Steve

                            I cut and paste the article below. I would use it with caution as I do not know the author. It was just interesting because almost all search results pointed to some sort of memory problem.

                            ""The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.

                            Usually you get this error message when performing a specific task, and if that happens you need to check the corresponding 3rd party's website/support department to see if they are aware of the problem

                            ..a while back Symantec Antivirus caused the 0xC0000005 error with an additional message about a file called SAVRT.SYS . A simple software update to the Symantec Antivirus cured the problem.

                            ...below are a couple of other suggestions:

                            Number One - Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0

                            SYMPTOMS:

                            Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 stops responding when you try to open an HTML document or a Web page. Additionally, you receive the following error message:

                            Access Violation (0xC0000005 exception)

                            CAUSE:

                            This problem may occur when you use Internet Explorer 6.0 to open an HTML document or a Web page that contains SPAN tags. If a SPAN tag is not closed correctly by using the </SPAN> tag, an access violation may occur.

                            The <SPAN> tag is an inline element that renders text by using a style sheet. The tag is typically used to change the style of an element or of a block of text.

                            <SPAN> tags are also used to group inline elements in an HTML document. For example, the following HTML document may cause an access violation because the </SPAN> tag is missing.

                            RESOLUTION:

                            Hotfix information -

                            A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Internet Explorer service pack that contains this hotfix.

                            To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

                            http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

                            Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be cancelled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

                            Number Two - D.E.P

                            In Windows XP Service Pack 2 Microsoft introduced Data execution prevention (DEP), a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help protect against malicious code exploits. In Windows XP SP2, DEP is enforced by both hardware and software.

                            Some software/application behaviours are incompatible with DEP - data execution prevention. Applications which perform dynamic code generation (such as Just-In-Time code generation) and that do not explicitly mark generated code with Execute permission might have compatibility issues with data execution prevention. Applications which are not built with SafeSEH must have their exception handlers located in executable memory regions.

                            Applications that attempt to violate DEP will receive an exception with status code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005).

                            If an application requires executable memory, it must explicitly set this attribute on the appropriate memory by specifying PAGE_EXECUTE, PAGE_EXECUTE_READ, PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE or PAGE_EXECUTE_WRITECOPY in the memory protection argument of the Virtual* memory allocation functions.

                            If you are having issues with 0xC0000005 errors in DEP and a particular piece of software is causing the offence, contact the vendor for a resolution...

                            Note: It is possible to "Turn Off" DEP in the boot.ini file but this really would be a last step!

                            /NOEXECUTE

                            This option is only available on 32-bit versions of Windows when running on processors supporting no-execute protection. It enables no-execute protection (also known as Data Execution Protection - DEP), which results in the Memory Manager marking pages containing data as no-execute so that they cannot be executed as code. This can be useful for preventing malicious code from exploiting buffer overflow bugs with unexpected program input in order to execute arbitrary code. No-execute protection is always enabled on 64-bit versions of Windows on processors that support no-execute protection.

                            There are several options you can specify with this switch:

                            /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN Enables DEP for core system images and those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.

                            /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT Enables DEP for all images except those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.

                            /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSON Enables DEP on all images.

                            /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF Disables DEP. (This setting doesn't provide any DEP coverage for any part of the system, regardless of hardware DEP support. The processor doesn't run in Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode unless the /PAE option is present in the boot.ini file.)

                            You can read more about DEP at:

                            http://www.updatexp.com/data-execution-prevention.html ""

                            wmp

                          • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                              Steve,
                              I am having a problem loadin Heavy Weather v 2.0 beta.  I get an error #0000005 when I go to run it on the "newer computer.  .  I have deleted it (full uninstall andreloaded it , and still get the error.  Any suggestions?
                              Jeff L.
                              KMEWILTO1
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                                Jeff,
                                Again searching around this could be another indicator of memory
                                issues. If you put the errors you are receiving and do a internet
                                search you may find some help.