Re: v215 Rainfall tweak.

    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2007
      Few posts usuallly means fewer issues !!!

      Looking forward to a few days in a row without any rain.

      Grass is ready to mow here in Central NH :)

      Steve
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2007
        Grass is just now READY to MOW!!!

        We have been mowing since March down here!

        South Steve ...... think south!
      • fikkaud
        Message 3 of 13 , May 27, 2007

          Feedback on Rain Tweak:

          WUHU is working fine with my modified raingauge and the new tweak applied.

          I have observed the following:

          General:
          currdat.lst increments rainfall changes between two values. This must be due to decimals carried on within WUHU. The total will ofcourse always be correct. I guess It's always been like this.
          Q: What is the exact rainfall/tip used by WUHU in it's calculations? Is it 0.02in = 0.508mm?

          Weather Underground:
          Every rain shower starts with a tweaked measurement of 0.19mm (in my case). WU states hourly rain of 0.3mm. Also odd increments are seen here. (Carried decimal places I guess) The total at WU is correct by the end of the day.

          My raingauge is modified (and tested) to give exactly 0.20mm/tip (~0.008in). Maybe it's better to have a fixed 'rain/tip' value instead of the surface area tweak?(more on this later in a sidetrack)

          CONCLUSION:
          Everyting works really nice, the matters I talk about uneven increments will only be of cosmetic considerations if you plot directly from these values.

          SIDETRACK ON BUCKET VOLUME AND ACCURACY:

          When doing the maths to derive a tweak factor. I also calculated the theoretic volume needed to get 0,02in or 0,5mm of rain with the original gauge. That added up to 3500mm^3 needed to make it tip. Of course I went ahead to check mine since it was down from the roof.

          I spent much time to measure the actual volume needed for mine, and was surprised to find that it took 3800mm^3. Quite a difference. MORE THAN 8%! So I've been under measuring for two yearsX-(. It has actuelly dripped down 150tonnes of water on my land that I didn't catch. (I know... Weather freak....but I don't have that much land either:D)
          This makes it apparent that there are individual differences from production, friction and maybe other sources of error.

          During the last showers I've got my measurements verified against measurements taken with ancient rain measurement techniques.
          So fellow rainmakers, this is the reason I'm asking for a rainfall/tip tweak so You don't have to come up with a tweak for the tweak (if you know what I mean;)). OK folks don't loose your sleep over this. But I bet you're gone go out there with a straight edged container and a ruler to see how your's are performing. Maybe some of you will apply a tweak for an unmodified sensor to bias your measurements?

          Instead of spinning your heads on this topic I do agree with others that you should start uploading your webcams to WU instead.  I do.

          Greetings from Norway and GET WET!
          Audun
          WS-3600 direct serial
          modified raingauge
          http://vindkast.com

           --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
           <mfrerkes@> wrote:

           I have installed the new version of WUHU and it appears to be
           working
           very well.  Luckily it has been raining non-stop where I live for
           the
           last 24 hours, so I was able to test it with a real weather
           scenario.  Although I switched from VWS to WUHU right in the middle
           of rain shower (messing up my daily and hourly totals), the
           readings
           were similar to those of two other nearby stations.

           With the new funnel I've attached to my WMR, the rainfall
           resolution
           is now .008 inches.  The modifications I've made aren't
           aesthetically
           pleasing...but it gets the job done.  Thanks for adding this tweak!

           <wuhu_software@> wrote:

           I have created a new version of WUHU with a rainfall tweak.

           Please test it if you have a need, otherwise hold off.

           Feedback appreciated.

           ----

           Software Download:

           http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

          Message 4 of 13 , May 27, 2007
            Audun,

            WUHU simply does a conversion from mm to Inches (1 Inche=24.4 mm).
            Neither the console or HW report the bucket tips. You could determine
            the number of tips based upon the station type although this could
            prove to be tricky.

            As far as the currdat.lst data, I thought maybe I could output a
            seperate field for [rain_total] to show the tweaked rainfall total,
            something like [tweaked_rain_total]. Let me know if this would be
            useful.

            I am not sure I quite understand the tweak of a tweak. Can you simply
            bump up your tweak by another 8% to compensate?

            Thanks.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"

            Message 5 of 13 , May 27, 2007
              wuhu,
              Maybe it's only a typo from you, but 1[in]=25.4[mm]. When it comes to
              adding a tweaked rainfall to currdat.lst. I can't see the need for
              that.
              I have no problems handlig the rainfall reported today. I round
              everything to the exaxt multipples of 0,2mm (which is correct for my
              tweak)

              And you've got the point of tweaking the weak. The bump of 8% is the
              twek of the tweak :) (adding more to the tweak than just increased
              surface area)

              wuhu. Your software is wonderful and, the work you do is truly
              amazing.

              Audun
              http://vindkast.com