Re: v215 Rainfall tweak.

    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2007
      Michael,

      It has been pretty slow lately.

      I suppose everyone is outside enjoying the nice weather and doing the
      Spring cleanup.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Michael Detwiler

      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2007
        Few posts usuallly means fewer issues !!!

        Looking forward to a few days in a row without any rain.

        Grass is ready to mow here in Central NH :)

        Steve
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2007
          Grass is just now READY to MOW!!!

          We have been mowing since March down here!

          South Steve ...... think south!
        • fikkaud
          Message 4 of 13 , May 27, 2007

            Feedback on Rain Tweak:

            WUHU is working fine with my modified raingauge and the new tweak applied.

            I have observed the following:

            General:
            currdat.lst increments rainfall changes between two values. This must be due to decimals carried on within WUHU. The total will ofcourse always be correct. I guess It's always been like this.
            Q: What is the exact rainfall/tip used by WUHU in it's calculations? Is it 0.02in = 0.508mm?

            Weather Underground:
            Every rain shower starts with a tweaked measurement of 0.19mm (in my case). WU states hourly rain of 0.3mm. Also odd increments are seen here. (Carried decimal places I guess) The total at WU is correct by the end of the day.

            My raingauge is modified (and tested) to give exactly 0.20mm/tip (~0.008in). Maybe it's better to have a fixed 'rain/tip' value instead of the surface area tweak?(more on this later in a sidetrack)

            CONCLUSION:
            Everyting works really nice, the matters I talk about uneven increments will only be of cosmetic considerations if you plot directly from these values.

            SIDETRACK ON BUCKET VOLUME AND ACCURACY:

            When doing the maths to derive a tweak factor. I also calculated the theoretic volume needed to get 0,02in or 0,5mm of rain with the original gauge. That added up to 3500mm^3 needed to make it tip. Of course I went ahead to check mine since it was down from the roof.

            I spent much time to measure the actual volume needed for mine, and was surprised to find that it took 3800mm^3. Quite a difference. MORE THAN 8%! So I've been under measuring for two yearsX-(. It has actuelly dripped down 150tonnes of water on my land that I didn't catch. (I know... Weather freak....but I don't have that much land either:D)
            This makes it apparent that there are individual differences from production, friction and maybe other sources of error.

            During the last showers I've got my measurements verified against measurements taken with ancient rain measurement techniques.
            So fellow rainmakers, this is the reason I'm asking for a rainfall/tip tweak so You don't have to come up with a tweak for the tweak (if you know what I mean;)). OK folks don't loose your sleep over this. But I bet you're gone go out there with a straight edged container and a ruler to see how your's are performing. Maybe some of you will apply a tweak for an unmodified sensor to bias your measurements?

            Instead of spinning your heads on this topic I do agree with others that you should start uploading your webcams to WU instead.  I do.

            Greetings from Norway and GET WET!
            Audun
            WS-3600 direct serial
            modified raingauge
            http://vindkast.com

            Message 5 of 13 , May 27, 2007
              Audun,

              WUHU simply does a conversion from mm to Inches (1 Inche=24.4 mm).
              Neither the console or HW report the bucket tips. You could determine
              the number of tips based upon the station type although this could
              prove to be tricky.

              As far as the currdat.lst data, I thought maybe I could output a
              seperate field for [rain_total] to show the tweaked rainfall total,
              something like [tweaked_rain_total]. Let me know if this would be
              useful.

              I am not sure I quite understand the tweak of a tweak. Can you simply
              bump up your tweak by another 8% to compensate?

              Message 6 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                wuhu,
                Maybe it's only a typo from you, but 1[in]=25.4[mm]. When it comes to
                adding a tweaked rainfall to currdat.lst. I can't see the need for
                that.
                I have no problems handlig the rainfall reported today. I round
                everything to the exaxt multipples of 0,2mm (which is correct for my
                tweak)

                And you've got the point of tweaking the weak. The bump of 8% is the
                twek of the tweak :) (adding more to the tweak than just increased
                surface area)

                wuhu. Your software is wonderful and, the work you do is truly
                amazing.

                Audun
                http://vindkast.com