Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Erratic Wind Data

  • D Doty
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2007
      Thanks WUHU_software_group
       I have requested  shipment info on the lightning arestor you linked to. If they can ship internationally, It soundes like a good deal.
      Just a thought, a reply name would be useful to me anyway! I'm sure there are several of you.

      wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
      Dennis,
      As far as lightning protection goes, check out the device mentioned in the below post, it is about $20.
      You can really only measure the voltage on the serial port's DTR and RTS lines. Make sure either Heavyweather or WUHU is running when you make the measurements as they set the RTS high and the DTR low. If the software is not running, I would guess that you would see -12VDC on these signals.
      You can not really measure the voltages on the RX or TX line without a scope as bit data is send over these lines (they will rapidly change from high to low).
      Even though the RTS and DTR at +/- 12VDC, the console's TX line (sent to the PC serial ports RX line), is just over 5VDC.
      If you are getting the spikes I mentioned previously of 1 to 1.5 volts, you are in a range that might be misread by the UART. You could add a couple of small capacitors (very small capacitors) to rectify.
      Let us know what you find.

      --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "oldcessna21" <oldcessna21@ ...> wrote:

      > Thanks to those who responded.
      > The common message was "grounded outlet".
      > Unfortunately, I am in the Philippines and no such electrical outlet
      > exists here. (there are possibably some in Manila but not where I am
      > located)
      > I have looked around the house and found a stake imbedded in the
      > ground (by the phone company?) It may or may not be copper or brass. I
      > have run a 16 Ga. wire from that stake to my PC frame (power supply
      > mounting screw).
      > As someone said recently on this site, not pretty, but possibly effective.
      > The point is that about 3 hours after reconnecting to my PC, I have
      > had no erratic readings. All tweeks have been removed, and we shall
      > see tomorrow and next week, but short term, it looks promising.
      >
      > I am not an electrical or computer tech, but am a retired automotive
      > tech. I have taken the readings on the serial port and got nothing
      > like that which was refered. I used a high quality High Impediance
      > DVOM to take the readings and got nothing in the +12 volt range, 3
      > circuits were in the -12 volt range. and several in the +/- 0.15 volt
      > range. I read to computer case and to pin 5 (gnd) on the serial port.
      >
      > I somehow doubt that the repair can be this simple, but I hope it is.
      >
      > I am thinking about the lightning issue now. I have no lightning
      > arrester. As I have said I am retired and on a fixed income. Any
      > cheep suggestions? Typhoon season will be here in a few weeks
      >
      > Thanks to all!
      > Dennis IZAMBALE1 / CW7056

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.