Watchdog for Heavyweather.

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
      All,

      For those of you that are experiencing the infamous Heavyweather Beta
      2.0 "Gray Out" condition, I have created a solution for you.

      I believe I can simulate this conditon by simply unplugging my serial
      cable from the station. Slowly, areas of the screen turn gray.
      Eventually, all areas are gray. At this point, Heavyweather "should"
      write to every variable in currdat.lst with a default value (value
      depends on variable type).

      At first, I thought I could get away with a simple file compare to
      check whether currdat.lst was changing. The odd thing is that
      Heavyweather writes to the file (changing the last_actualization
      fields), even if no data can be obtained from the console.

      To remedy the situation, I have written a batch file, and supplied a
      few programs that will monitor whether Heavyweather is writing dead
      data in to the currdat.lst file. Note, this will only work with Beta
      2.0 (or another version that writes currdat.lst, Heavyweather 2.1
      will not work with this!).

      What the watchdog batch file does is pause for two minutes. After the
      pause, it launches a program called "CheckHeavyWeather.exe". What
      this program does is check every variable supplied by Heavyweather in
      the currdat.lst file (like temperature, windchill, etc).

      Now if your system matches the behavior of mine, eventually
      Heavyweather will write to each of these fields indicating a read
      failure. Each field is different. For instance, humidity will go to "-
      -" where outdoor temperature (F) goes to "--.--". There are about 25
      fields that are checked. If they all come up bogus, the
      CheckHeavyWeather returns a code back to the batch file indicating
      that all of the data is dead.

      When the batch file detects the dead data, it kills the currently
      running Heavyweather application and launches a new one.

      After 2 minutes, the cycle starts again.

      To install, go to the files area, download the file Watchdog.zip.
      Unzip the contents of the file to your C:\Heavyweather\ folder.

      To start the watchdog, simply execute Watchdog.cmd (a batch file).
      Leave it running while Heavyweather is supposed to be running. You
      can minimize this batch file to the task bar.

      If you are launching Heavyweather from the Start Up folder, add this
      batch file to the Start up folder as well. Otherwise, you will need
      to launch the batch file manually every time you reboot.

      I hope this works for those of you that are dealing with this.

      Feedback appreciated.
    • Tony McGee
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
        WOW, thank you very much. Feedback will come after I've used this
        for a bit.

        > All,
        >
        > For those of you that are experiencing the infamous Heavyweather
        Beta
        > 2.0 "Gray Out" condition, I have created a solution for you.
        >
        > I believe I can simulate this conditon by simply unplugging my
        serial
        > cable from the station. Slowly, areas of the screen turn gray.
        > Eventually, all areas are gray. At this point,
        Heavyweather "should"
        > write to every variable in currdat.lst with a default value (value
        > depends on variable type).
        >
        > At first, I thought I could get away with a simple file compare to
        > check whether currdat.lst was changing. The odd thing is that
        > Heavyweather writes to the file (changing the last_actualization
        > fields), even if no data can be obtained from the console.
        >
        > To remedy the situation, I have written a batch file, and supplied
        > few programs that will monitor whether Heavyweather is writing
        dead
        > data in to the currdat.lst file. Note, this will only work with
        Beta
        > 2.0 (or another version that writes currdat.lst, Heavyweather 2.1
        > will not work with this!).
        >
        > What the watchdog batch file does is pause for two minutes. After
        the
        > pause, it launches a program called "CheckHeavyWeather.exe". What
        > this program does is check every variable supplied by Heavyweather
        in
        > the currdat.lst file (like temperature, windchill, etc).
        >
        > Now if your system matches the behavior of mine, eventually
        > Heavyweather will write to each of these fields indicating a read
        > failure. Each field is different. For instance, humidity will go
        to "-
        > -" where outdoor temperature (F) goes to "--.--". There are about
        25
        > fields that are checked. If they all come up bogus, the
        > CheckHeavyWeather returns a code back to the batch file indicating
        > that all of the data is dead.
        >
        > When the batch file detects the dead data, it kills the currently
        > running Heavyweather application and launches a new one.
        >
        > After 2 minutes, the cycle starts again.
        >
        > To install, go to the files area, download the file Watchdog.zip.
        > Unzip the contents of the file to your C:\Heavyweather\ folder.
        >
        > To start the watchdog, simply execute Watchdog.cmd (a batch file).
        > Leave it running while Heavyweather is supposed to be running. You
        > can minimize this batch file to the task bar.
        >
        > If you are launching Heavyweather from the Start Up folder, add
        this
        > batch file to the Start up folder as well. Otherwise, you will
        need
        > to launch the batch file manually every time you reboot.
        >
        > I hope this works for those of you that are dealing with this.
        >
        > Feedback appreciated.

      • Tony McGee
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
          Wed 02/01/2006
          10:55 PM
          .
          waiting for 2 minutes.
          .
          .
          . wait done, checking currdat.lst
          .
          .
          Wed 02/01/2006
          10:57 PM
          .
          the files are the same, terminating heavyweather.exe...
          .

          PsKill v1.11 - Terminates processes on local or remote systems
          Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Mark Russinovich
          Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

          Unable to kill process heavy weather.e:
          Process does not exist.
          .
          termination of heavyweather.exe completed, starting a new
          heavyweather.exe
          .
          .
          startup of new heavyweather.exe completed.

          Unable to kill process heavy weather.e:<<<<<<<<<<<<is this an error?
          Process does not exist.
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
            Are you using Heavyweather Pro?

            You may need to edit the watchdog.cmd file if so...

            In watchdog.cmd, find the line:

            pskill.exe "heavy weather.e"

            Look in your task list for the Heavyweather pro process name. Hit
            Control-Alt-Del, then hit the Task Manager button. Click
            the 'processes' tab to get a list of the running programs.

            The name may be clipped... for instance, in the case of beta 2.0, the
            extension is clipped (supposed to be .exe, clipped to .e).

            So if you can tell me the name of the process, I can modify the batch
            file for other users.

            Let me know.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony McGee"
            <letitsnow824@...> wrote:

            > Wed 02/01/2006
            > 10:55 PM
            > .
            > waiting for 2 minutes.
            > .
            > .
            > . wait done, checking currdat.lst
            > .
            > .
            > Wed 02/01/2006
            > 10:57 PM
            > .
            > the files are the same, terminating heavyweather.exe...
            > .
            >
            > PsKill v1.11 - Terminates processes on local or remote systems
            > Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Mark Russinovich
            > Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
            >
            > Unable to kill process heavy weather.e:
            > Process does not exist.
            > .
            > termination of heavyweather.exe completed, starting a new
            > heavyweather.exe
            > .
            > .
            > startup of new heavyweather.exe completed.
            >

            > Unable to kill process heavy weather.e:<<<<<<<<<<<<is this an error?
            > Process does not exist.

          • Tony McGee
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
              I am using beta 2.0. I did go in and change it to heavy weather.exe.
              After that it worked flawlessly...the extension wasn't clipped in Task
              Manager.
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                Interesting, are you using XP?

                I am using 2000.

                When using 2000, "heavy weather.e" is needed as the process name.

                Thanks.

                <letitsnow824@...> wrote:

                > I am using beta 2.0. I did go in and change it to heavy weather.exe.
                > After that it worked flawlessly...the extension wasn't clipped in
                Task
                > Manager.

              • Tony McGee
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Yes, I am using XP. Also...i have had no downtime since last night, I
                  think this is the first time I've had it run continuously for that
                  long...seems to be working great. Thank you for solving my problem.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Sounds good.

                    Let me know if it continues to work.

                    Thanks.

                    <letitsnow824@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, I am using XP. Also...i have had no downtime since last night, I
                    > think this is the first time I've had it run continuously for that
                    > long...seems to be working great. Thank you for solving my problem.

                  • Brian Harris
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Watchdog is working great on my machine also. Solved my problem on
                      HeavyWeather graying out!!

                      Thanks Again!