Re: v215 Rainfall tweak.

  • Mike Frerkes
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2007
      I have installed the new version of WUHU and it appears to be working
      very well. Luckily it has been raining non-stop where I live for the
      last 24 hours, so I was able to test it with a real weather
      scenario. Although I switched from VWS to WUHU right in the middle
      of rain shower (messing up my daily and hourly totals), the readings
      were similar to those of two other nearby stations.

      With the new funnel I've attached to my WMR, the rainfall resolution
      is now .008 inches. The modifications I've made aren't aesthetically
      pleasing...but it gets the job done. Thanks for adding this tweak!

      > I have created a new version of WUHU with a rainfall tweak.
      >
      > Please test it if you have a need, otherwise hold off.
      >
      > Feedback appreciated.
      >
      > ----
      >
      > Software Download:
      >
      > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

    • fikkaud
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2007
        I just love this....
        So this must be the ultimate setup after my wishlist.
        Now I finally can increase my raingauge area.

        So far this year: Direct serial support for WS36XX has made me bin
        the heavyweather program and history.dat. No more murky software
        from the dark side!
        Everything is no ported to MySQL and the website (and weatherserver)
        is happy as never before:)

        I really don't think there is any more I could wish for!

        A few questions before I tear down the raingauge and start gluing
        stuff to it:

        Q: I'm I right to assume the tweak allows a few decimal places to
        correct for whatever oddsize funnel I can get my hands on?

        Q: The reported rainfall in currdat.lst will (surely) reflect the
        applied tweak?

        Thanks again for a great product!
        Audun
        http://vindkast.com
        WS-3600 direct serial mode

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"

        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2007
          Audun,

          Affirmative to both questions (so far as I can recall).

          Let me know if you have any issues.

          Thanks

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
          <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

          > I just love this....
          > So this must be the ultimate setup after my wishlist.
          > Now I finally can increase my raingauge area.
          >
          > So far this year: Direct serial support for WS36XX has made me bin
          > the heavyweather program and history.dat. No more murky software
          > from the dark side!
          > Everything is no ported to MySQL and the website (and
          weatherserver)
          > is happy as never before:)
          >
          > I really don't think there is any more I could wish for!
          >
          > A few questions before I tear down the raingauge and start gluing
          > stuff to it:
          >
          > Q: I'm I right to assume the tweak allows a few decimal places to
          > correct for whatever oddsize funnel I can get my hands on?
          >
          > Q: The reported rainfall in currdat.lst will (surely) reflect the
          > applied tweak?
          >

          > Thanks again for a great product!
          > Audun
          > http://vindkast.com
          > WS-3600 direct serial mode
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
          > <mfrerkes@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have installed the new version of WUHU and it appears to be
          > working
          > > very well. Luckily it has been raining non-stop where I live for
          > the
          > > last 24 hours, so I was able to test it with a real weather
          > > scenario. Although I switched from VWS to WUHU right in the
          middle
          > > of rain shower (messing up my daily and hourly totals), the
          > readings
          > > were similar to those of two other nearby stations.
          > >
          > > With the new funnel I've attached to my WMR, the rainfall
          > resolution
          > > is now .008 inches. The modifications I've made aren't
          > aesthetically
          > > pleasing...but it gets the job done. Thanks for adding this
          tweak!

          > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > I have created a new version of WUHU with a rainfall tweak.
          > > >
          > > > Please test it if you have a need, otherwise hold off.
          > > >
          > > > Feedback appreciated.
          > > >
          > > > ----
          > > >
          > > > Software Download:
          > > >
          > > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

        • Michael Detwiler
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2007
            Hey Gang....

            Am I smoking something or have there been alot fewer posts over the past week or so?????

            ----

            > > > Software Download:
            > > >
            > > > http://home. comcast.net/ ~wuhu_software/

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2007
              Michael,

              It has been pretty slow lately.

              I suppose everyone is outside enjoying the nice weather and doing the
              Spring cleanup.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Michael Detwiler

              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2007
                Few posts usuallly means fewer issues !!!

                Looking forward to a few days in a row without any rain.

                Grass is ready to mow here in Central NH :)

                Steve
              • Paul
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2007
                  Grass is just now READY to MOW!!!

                  We have been mowing since March down here!

                  South Steve ...... think south!
                • fikkaud
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 27, 2007

                    Feedback on Rain Tweak:

                    WUHU is working fine with my modified raingauge and the new tweak applied.

                    I have observed the following:

                    General:
                    currdat.lst increments rainfall changes between two values. This must be due to decimals carried on within WUHU. The total will ofcourse always be correct. I guess It's always been like this.
                    Q: What is the exact rainfall/tip used by WUHU in it's calculations? Is it 0.02in = 0.508mm?

                    Weather Underground:
                    Every rain shower starts with a tweaked measurement of 0.19mm (in my case). WU states hourly rain of 0.3mm. Also odd increments are seen here. (Carried decimal places I guess) The total at WU is correct by the end of the day.

                    My raingauge is modified (and tested) to give exactly 0.20mm/tip (~0.008in). Maybe it's better to have a fixed 'rain/tip' value instead of the surface area tweak?(more on this later in a sidetrack)

                    CONCLUSION:
                    Everyting works really nice, the matters I talk about uneven increments will only be of cosmetic considerations if you plot directly from these values.

                    SIDETRACK ON BUCKET VOLUME AND ACCURACY:

                    When doing the maths to derive a tweak factor. I also calculated the theoretic volume needed to get 0,02in or 0,5mm of rain with the original gauge. That added up to 3500mm^3 needed to make it tip. Of course I went ahead to check mine since it was down from the roof.

                    I spent much time to measure the actual volume needed for mine, and was surprised to find that it took 3800mm^3. Quite a difference. MORE THAN 8%! So I've been under measuring for two yearsX-(. It has actuelly dripped down 150tonnes of water on my land that I didn't catch. (I know... Weather freak....but I don't have that much land either:D)
                    This makes it apparent that there are individual differences from production, friction and maybe other sources of error.

                    During the last showers I've got my measurements verified against measurements taken with ancient rain measurement techniques.
                    So fellow rainmakers, this is the reason I'm asking for a rainfall/tip tweak so You don't have to come up with a tweak for the tweak (if you know what I mean;)). OK folks don't loose your sleep over this. But I bet you're gone go out there with a straight edged container and a ruler to see how your's are performing. Maybe some of you will apply a tweak for an unmodified sensor to bias your measurements?

                    Instead of spinning your heads on this topic I do agree with others that you should start uploading your webcams to WU instead.  I do.

                    Greetings from Norway and GET WET!
                    Audun
                    WS-3600 direct serial
                    modified raingauge
                    http://vindkast.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                      Audun,

                      WUHU simply does a conversion from mm to Inches (1 Inche=24.4 mm).
                      Neither the console or HW report the bucket tips. You could determine
                      the number of tips based upon the station type although this could
                      prove to be tricky.

                      As far as the currdat.lst data, I thought maybe I could output a
                      seperate field for [rain_total] to show the tweaked rainfall total,
                      something like [tweaked_rain_total]. Let me know if this would be
                      useful.

                      I am not sure I quite understand the tweak of a tweak. Can you simply
                      bump up your tweak by another 8% to compensate?

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                        wuhu,
                        Maybe it's only a typo from you, but 1[in]=25.4[mm]. When it comes to
                        adding a tweaked rainfall to currdat.lst. I can't see the need for
                        that.
                        I have no problems handlig the rainfall reported today. I round
                        everything to the exaxt multipples of 0,2mm (which is correct for my
                        tweak)

                        And you've got the point of tweaking the weak. The bump of 8% is the
                        twek of the tweak :) (adding more to the tweak than just increased
                        surface area)

                        wuhu. Your software is wonderful and, the work you do is truly
                        amazing.

                        Audun
                        http://vindkast.com