Temperature ws-3600

  • willie_warthog
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      Geese, what did I get myself into? I received this very nice LaCrosse
      WS-3600 pro weather station for Christmas. I thought to myself, "What
      a great gift!" But I have had so many software problems that I am
      getting close to saying, "FORGET IT!!!" I just found this forum and
      with all the bug issues, that still might be the best course of action.

      Anyway, my biggest (current) problem is that, suddenly, my base
      station started giving me indoor temperature readings of 114°F to
      116°F. I figured that it must be a hardware – warranty issue. But,
      after reading all these message posts on software problems, I don't
      know. It is not an upload problem, as the base station itself reads
      those temps. And the record indoor low of 65°F is gone. Any ideas on
      what gives and possible solutions.

      TIA

      Willie
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        Since it is an indoor temperature reading, I would lean towards a bad
        unit. That is not to say there is not something strange going on like
        some type of noise problem on the serial port.

        Is the unit plugged in to the same power strip as the PC? Any other
        possbile source of noise nearby? Cell phone? Cordless sitting next to
        it?

        That is not to say that it is not a Heavyweather Pro software
        problem, I am not sure.

        Hopefully other WS3600 users here will let you know if they have seen
        such an occurrence.

        Let us know what you find.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "willie_warthog"
        <wwharton@...> wrote:

        > Geese, what did I get myself into? I received this very nice
        LaCrosse
        > WS-3600 pro weather station for Christmas. I thought to
        myself, "What
        > a great gift!" But I have had so many software problems that I am
        > getting close to saying, "FORGET IT!!!" I just found this forum and
        > with all the bug issues, that still might be the best course of
        action.

        > Anyway, my biggest (current) problem is that, suddenly, my base
        > station started giving me indoor temperature readings of 114°F to
        > 116°F. I figured that it must be a hardware – warranty issue. But,
        > after reading all these message posts on software problems, I don't
        > know. It is not an upload problem, as the base station itself reads
        > those temps. And the record indoor low of 65°F is gone. Any ideas on
        > what gives and possible solutions.
        >
        > TIA
        >
        > Willie

      • stevech
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
          You say "the base station itself reads those temps"

          If this means that the LCD displays the 100+ degree reading for the indoor
          temperature, then it's busted hardware for sure. Off to repair she goes.
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
            Steve,

            Although I would lean toward that as well... I am not convinced of it
            yet. It has been my experience that when a thermocouple fails, it
            will not work sometimes and not at others.

            I guess that is the question, how frequently do the errors occur?

            It could be external noise generated by something nearby (cell phones
            created a tremendous amount of noise) or perhaps some type of ground-
            feedback issue. It could be even noise between the PC and the unit
            that is affecting the WS.

            I have been looking in to a noise issue on the WS2310, it may also
            apply to the other stations. This noise could corrupt not only
            external sensor data but external ones as well.

            I am looking for anyone with an oscilliscope and some free time to
            verify my findings.

            Thanks.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@...>

          • stevech@san.rr.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

              My 3600 sits a 3 ft. from cordless phones, where I use my cell phone, PC. Never had glitch in temperature readings. There are problems with noise on the unshielded phone-cord-type wire from the outdoor temperature sensor to the anemometer, and perhaps on the optional hardwired-option for the PC connection. These seem to glitch windspeed data most often. Some have cured this by rewiring to use shielded cable.

              > Although I would lean toward that as well... I am not convinced of
              > it
              > yet. It has been my experience that when a thermocouple fails, it
              > will not work sometimes and not at others.
              >
              > I guess that is the question, how frequently do the errors occur?
              >
              > It could be external noise generated by something nearby (cell
              > phones
              > created a tremendous amount of noise) or perhaps some type of
              > ground-
              > feedback issue. It could be even noise between the PC and the unit
              > that is affecting the WS.
              >
              > I have been looking in to a noise issue on the WS2310, it may also
              > apply to the other stations. This noise could corrupt not only
              > external sensor data but external ones as well.
              >
              > I am looking for anyone with an oscilliscope and some free time to
              > verify my findings.
              >
              > Thanks. >
            • Willie Wharton
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
                Thanks for all the input. Yes, the 100+ reading is on the LCD base station. I took the base station by itself and stuck it in my freezer on battery power. The temp fell to +25 over the true temp. When I took it out and let it warm up to the ambient room temp it still was +25. I did all of this in my garage with most AC power off. Although, the thermocouple is the key suspect, the unit was not dropped and had been working fine (except for all the other epistemic problems). I probably just need to send it in under warrenty. Any input on warrenty claim success/failure.

                Thanks,
                Willie

              • stevech@san.rr.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

                  I sent mine back because the LCD contrast is so poor as to be unusable IMO.

                  They returned it: no trouble found (not surprisingly).

                  > Thanks for all the input. Yes, the 100+ reading is on the LCD base
                  > station. I took the base station by itself and stuck it in my
                  > freezer on
                  > battery power. The temp fell to +25 over the true temp. When I
                  > took it
                  > out and let it warm up to the ambient room temp it still was +25.
                  > I did
                  > all of this in my garage with most AC power off. Although, the
                  > thermocouple is the key suspect, the unit was not dropped and had
                  > been
                  > working fine (except for all the other epistemic problems). I
                  > probably
                  > just need to send it in under warrenty. Any input on warrenty
                  > claim
                  > success/failure.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Willie
                  >
                  > wuhu_software wrote:
                  >

                  > > Steve,
                  > >
                  > > Although I would lean toward that as well... I am not convinced
                  > of it
                  > > yet. It has been my experience t!
                  hat when
                • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006

                    When I initially set mine up the wind sensor did not register.  Had to send the thermo/hygro unit and wind sensor back.  Wind sensor was fine thermo/hygro unit was defective.  They sent them back and my 2308 has been working pretty well.  Right now we have rain, but because of the frozen precip we are not getting precip readings other than 0.  I am going out with a bit of hot water to thaw the thing out to see what happens.