Re: Direct serial for WS3600 series?

  • jjantti2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
      <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

      > I think the best thing to do at this point is to wait and see how much
      > progress the open3600 software development makes.

      The Open3600-project has been standing still for a few months now.
      Their latest version (0.2.0c) was published in October 2005.

      > It sounds like they are able to extract data from the unit.

      Apparently they have figured out how to communicate with the weather
      station using memory map function calls to retrieve the data.

      Looking at the program package and the text files within, it seems
      that the program is completely ported from Linux version, making it's
      installation that more uncomfortable. It is consisting of many
      .exe-files, some are to be run periodically from the Scheduled Tasks,
      some are meant to be run all the time. All configuration is done via
      single .conf-file and the program is designed to create a web page via
      PHP so if you want to view the current weather data, you will need a
      web server of your own (Apache 2.0 preferred). It can produce
      graphical displays similar to WU and CWOP and it has a log writing
      capability, but no ability to make currdat.lst/history.dat files so
      you can forget using HeavyWeather Publisher or WUHU.

      > Unfortunetly, I do not own one, so that will really limit my testing
      > capability.

      I do have a WS-3600, but the Open3600 evolves too much work and
      there's a risk of mistake that can effectively kill the display unit.
      They need to do more - much more before I feel safe enough to switch
      from HW/HWP/WUHU to Open3600.

      Unfortunately, making it easier to use and install is not on their
      TODO-list...

      Best regards,
      Juha
      Kannelmaki, Helsinki, Finland
      WU : IUUSIMAA2
      CWOP: CW4473
    • stevech
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
        I downloaded the open3600 code. It looks like they have it working. I will
        try it soon. Pretty impressive. It also looks like they derived this from a
        prior WS2310 version.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Balbach" <gary@b...>
        wrote:

        > No problem, just checking.