Direct serial for WS3600 series?

  • Gary Balbach
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi all,

      Does any one know or can I put in a future/wish request for the WUHU
      program to be able to bypass the Heavy Weather Pro software for the
      WS3600 series? Of course it all currently works fine just as everyone
      knows it HW really eats up CPU cycles with their lovely program...or
      does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the cpu cycles with HW?

      Thanks!
      Gary
    • stevech@san.rr.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006

        WS3600 uses RS232 port control bits to send data; does not use serial transmit/receive.

        LaCrosse would have to get their vendor for the product to reveal to us this protocol.

        A petition with 100,000 names on it would likely fall on deaf ears at LaCrosse.

        > Does any one know or can I put in a future/wish request for the
        > WUHU
        > program to be able to bypass the Heavy Weather Pro software for
        > the
        > WS3600 series? Of course it all currently works fine just as
        > everyone
        > knows it HW really eats up CPU cycles with their lovely
        > program...or
        > does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the cpu cycles with HW?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Gary
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Gary Balbach
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
          No problem, just checking.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
            I think the best thing to do at this point is to wait and see how much
            progress the open3600 software development makes.

            It sounds like they are able to extract data from the unit.

            Unfortunetly, I do not own one, so that will really limit my testing
            capability.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Balbach" <gary@b...>
            wrote:

            > No problem, just checking.

          • jjantti2
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
              <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

              > I think the best thing to do at this point is to wait and see how much
              > progress the open3600 software development makes.

              The Open3600-project has been standing still for a few months now.
              Their latest version (0.2.0c) was published in October 2005.

              > It sounds like they are able to extract data from the unit.

              Apparently they have figured out how to communicate with the weather
              station using memory map function calls to retrieve the data.

              Looking at the program package and the text files within, it seems
              that the program is completely ported from Linux version, making it's
              installation that more uncomfortable. It is consisting of many
              .exe-files, some are to be run periodically from the Scheduled Tasks,
              some are meant to be run all the time. All configuration is done via
              single .conf-file and the program is designed to create a web page via
              PHP so if you want to view the current weather data, you will need a
              web server of your own (Apache 2.0 preferred). It can produce
              graphical displays similar to WU and CWOP and it has a log writing
              capability, but no ability to make currdat.lst/history.dat files so
              you can forget using HeavyWeather Publisher or WUHU.

              > Unfortunetly, I do not own one, so that will really limit my testing
              > capability.

              I do have a WS-3600, but the Open3600 evolves too much work and
              there's a risk of mistake that can effectively kill the display unit.
              They need to do more - much more before I feel safe enough to switch
              from HW/HWP/WUHU to Open3600.

              Unfortunately, making it easier to use and install is not on their
              TODO-list...

              Best regards,
              Juha
              Kannelmaki, Helsinki, Finland
              WU : IUUSIMAA2
              CWOP: CW4473
            • stevech
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
                I downloaded the open3600 code. It looks like they have it working. I will
                try it soon. Pretty impressive. It also looks like they derived this from a
                prior WS2310 version.

                wrote:

                > No problem, just checking.

                Yahoo! Groups Links